TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
While hilarious I'm not sure that's quite true. That alicent heard what she wanted to hear from the king seems to be just a convenient way to legitimize herself and her thoughts. The hightowers overall seemed to always have it in their mind that they would ascend the throne one way or another.

Alicent resents being at the mercy of men and her position, but also readily shirks responsibility whenever she has an opportunity to have her own agency.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm also shocked how much character they have gotten out of Aegon in only three episodes. He manages to both be sympathetic and a deplorable piece of shit.

Dude is living the imposter syndrome nightmare and seems totally aware of how out of his depth he is.

Reactions: Make

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I kind of can't believe hbo greenlighted that one scene in this episode. All of you know damn well what scene i am talking about too.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Even though not a lot major actually happened I think that was my favorite episode of the series so far. Incredibly well put together.

GRRM really is a master of creating characters. He understands at a basic level that character is what makes a story. Each and every individual in GoT and HotD even though they align under Lannister or Stark or Green or Black or whatever have their own complex motivations. Motivations that make sense for who they are in the context of their world. Motivations that drive action, even if illogical, because these characters have needs unmet. Brilliant writer and I'm glad HBO became his engine to deliver it on screen because they are nailing it.

Did not see Aegon the Unworthy as a sympathetic figure coming. I was not buying Matt Smith as Daemon in the 1st season but he's won me over in this one so far.

Reactions: Make and Osprey

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Poor Daemon. Flies through hurricane like weather to invade Harrenhal and take it solo in hand-to-hand combat, only for it to be offered to him without a fight.

At least he got peas and venison.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Love seeing some good ole fashioned Bracken/Blackwood beef to get things started.

Also kind of unrelated but I already detested that actor from his character in Slow Horses so when he showed up to as Ser Gwayne it just made me hate the Greens/Hightowers so much more. I should say I don't really hate the actor but he is just so good at playing an insufferable dbag character, makes it easy to dislike them.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Love seeing some good ole fashioned Bracken/Blackwood beef to get things started.

Also kind of unrelated but I already detested that actor from his character in Slow Horses so when he showed up to as Ser Gwayne it just made me hate the Greens/Hightowers so much more. I should say I don't really hate the actor but he is just so good at playing an insufferable dbag character, makes it easy to dislike them.
If we're measuring Dbag levels, Ser Gwayne is severely outmatched in his new job by Cole.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Even though not a lot major actually happened I think that was my favorite episode of the series so far. Incredibly well put together.

GRRM really is a master of creating characters. He understands at a basic level that character is what makes a story. Each and every individual in GoT and HotD even though they align under Lannister or Stark or Green or Black or whatever have their own complex motivations. Motivations that make sense for who they are in the context of their world. Motivations that drive action, even if illogical, because these characters have needs unmet. Brilliant writer and I'm glad HBO became his engine to deliver it on screen because they are nailing it.

Did not see Aegon the Unworthy as a sympathetic figure coming. I was not buying Matt Smith as Daemon in the 1st season but he's won me over in this one so far.

The show people and the actors deserve a ton of credit too. Daemon is a bit different in the books, and Aegon is much more one-dimensional.

Daemon is easily my favorite character of those show. He is such an interesting mess of a basket case.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Daemon is easily my favorite character of those show. He is such an interesting mess of a basket case.
Agree, but he is also my favorite Doctor so I might be biased there

This episode had too much filler, but the meat of it was great.....feels like it's been a slow ass 1 1/3 season build up for what's about to start next week

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Didn't really expect this from Aegon, last season he clearly wanted nothing to do with any of it...what a turn

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Rhaenys and Corlys Chat:

Good build up after introducing the Hull's in back to back episodes- though it irks me that the Hull's don't have Valyrian hair to set up a veneer of plausibility to being Sea Snake bastards. Maybe Alyn is bald for a reason, and Addam is dyed?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Emma D'Arcy is killing it this season...

I think she's a good bet to take home an Emmy at some point for this role

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Bringing in Simon Russel Beale is an insane flex. Like Queen getting David Bowie for Under Pressure.
I admit I had never heard the name but man he had such insane presence in his scenes. It's incredible how some actors just elevate a small role into something great.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I really liked the spooky vibes at Harrenhal. The cinematography with the rain looked great. I wasn't really expecting that level of creativity with getting the right feeling for a place. I know the books made a big deal of Harrenhal being cursed and haunted so it's nice that they embraced it. And the interactions with Daemon and Strong were just fantastic.

They give a lot of detailed info on these war council meetings which can feel like a lot at times but somehow it still keeps me engaged. I do use the rewind button a lot so that I don't miss anything important.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad