Trade: [HOU/TOR] Aledmys Diaz for Trent Thornton

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Diaz could still turn out to be a pretty good player. Kind of a light return for him in my opinion as Diaz still has four years of control left. Shrewd pick up by Houston.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what happened to diaz? guy was an all star and had a solid rookie year in 16 and now has bounced around the last few years

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
At first I thought it was a minor leaguer for a minor leaguer but didn't realize Diaz was a Mlber. Looking at stats and comments, happy with the trade. Although they said they still want Marwin back, looks like his replacement as the utility guy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
what happened to diaz? guy was an all star and had a solid rookie year in 16 and now has bounced around the last few years

Bad plate discipline and pitch recognition. Swings at a lot of stuff out of the zone. When you're a rookie and no on knows who you are you'll get pitches to hit in the zone, then there's a book on you next season. Hasn't adjusted.

Still has pop and good bat on ball skills but a flawed hitter. Still an average player who can play multiple positions. If there's anyone who can fix a player, it's Houston.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Diaz could still turn out to be a pretty good player. Kind of a light return for him in my opinion as Diaz still has four years of control left. Shrewd pick up by Houston.

I might agree but we always overvalue and overrate players value too. Pretty sure the prospect STL got for him from TOR was released shortly after too.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I can't believe that Atkins couldn't get more for Diaz. Atkins is horrible when it comes to talent evaluation. He completely missed the ball on Donaldson last winter when EVERYONE knew the Jays were going to be terrible. Now, he's selling off decent pieces at 10 cents on the dollar. Just watch what he gets when he goes to move Smoak. I guarantee you it's the infamous 'player to be named later' deal.

I mean, there was talk that Diaz could have been flipped for Sonny Gray. Why wasn't that an option? I just scratch my head trying to figure out what Atkins and Shapiro are doing because I honestly think they don't know what they're doing.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I can't believe that Atkins couldn't get more for Diaz. Atkins is horrible when it comes to talent evaluation. He completely missed the ball on Donaldson last winter when EVERYONE knew the Jays were going to be terrible. Now, he's selling off decent pieces at 10 cents on the dollar. Just watch what he gets when he goes to move Smoak. I guarantee you it's the infamous 'player to be named later' deal.

I mean, there was talk that Diaz could have been flipped for Sonny Gray. Why wasn't that an option? I just scratch my head trying to figure out what Atkins and Shapiro are doing because I honestly think they don't know what they're doing.

Mmm sorry but you're wrong. The Jays were projected to be a wildcard contender at the start of the year. It isn't Atkins' fault Donaldson and Tulo got injured and the SPs completely **** the bed. (Sanchez, Stroman, Estrada, etc.). Atkins had 1 year of JD to sell. In hindsight, yes we should of sold him in the winter but you can't predict injuries and wasn't going to get any top prospects for him. Diaz is an average starter and we got a pretty damn decent prospect for him. Whelmed by the trade

Reactions: Graves

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't blame Atkins for holding on to Donaldson.....I think that call came from higher up, Rogers looking to keep ticket sales up even when they knew the team was trending downwards. Bad decision, given how brittle Donaldson's been lately.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Keep drinking the Shatkins koolaid lol. Bad return for Diaz! And terrible judgement going into the season thinking they were wild card contenders for which everything would have had to go the Jays way for that to actually happen. THey blew it with Donaldson and so far have not come close to maximizing their assets. Pitching prospects look very weak for the Jays. In future years, they could have an awesome hitting lineup with a bunch of #3-5 starters. Do Shapiro and Atkins have the savvy of AA to pull off exceptional trades?

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Keep drinking the Shatkins koolaid lol. Bad return for Diaz! And terrible judgement going into the season thinking they were wild card contenders for which everything would have had to go the Jays way for that to actually happen. THey blew it with Donaldson and so far have not come close to maximizing their assets. Pitching prospects look very weak for the Jays. In future years, they could have an awesome hitting lineup with a bunch of #3-5 starters. Do Shapiro and Atkins have the savvy of AA to pull off exceptional trades?

AA completely destroyed the Jays prospect depth for a couple years of ALCS appearances.

Good riddance to him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
AA completely destroyed the Jays prospect depth for a couple years of ALCS appearances.

Good riddance to him.

Dickey for Syn was bad and was a real panic move by AA because he needed some quick results. Other than that I’m failing to see the gems that he traded away. Hoffman, Norris, Graveman, etc these guys haven’t planned out for their new teams at all.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

Good riddance to him.

Horrible take. As pointed out very few of the players traded away amounted to anything. Given the players he had on the team, and the decline of the Yankees and Red Sox, it made sense for him to go for it...and he rightfully did. As for destroying the Jays prospect depth, if you look at the upcoming Jays, there is more then Guerrero junior left from the AA regime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad