Horvat vs Russia - Stream (Starting at 4:00PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Guessing u didnt catch to many London games ? Bo games hasnt been alot diff from what i saw alot of in London

I think that he gets somewhat overlooked because he doesn't score a lot of highlight reel goals. The more I watch him though the more I notice all of the little things he does well. You can also see his strength. I'm intrigued to see him at camp. I think he may have a pretty good shot at sticking with the Canucks this year.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think there's a 90% chance he makes it this year.

Tortorella was an idiot when Gaunce, Horvat, and Shinkaruk performed well last year in TC.

Horvat definitely makes the team over Hansen or Sestito

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think that he gets somewhat overlooked because he doesn't score a lot of highlight reel goals. The more I watch him though the more I notice all of the little things he does well. You can also see his strength. I'm intrigued to see him at camp. I think he may have a pretty good shot at sticking with the Canucks this year.

He didn't look that great for the Knights last year because he played with the Rupert brothers the entire season, and they were rookies.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI
He didn't look that great for the Knights last year because he played with the Rupert brothers the entire season, and they were rookies.

What ! The twins have been with London since 2011 and are 20 years old. Bo looked great last year so consistant and played his steady game all year. Im pretty sure u just made everything up in your post

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

?????

Uh, no they weren't ...

Bo played great for London up until the WJC. He was putting up around 1.5 PPG and still holding down his defensive chores admirably. He seemed to lose a step when he returned from the WJC, some have speculated he picked up a (foot?) injury while playing. He missed a few games to various injuries and saw his scoring pace drop off somewhat.

His playoffs were disappointing but the entire Knights team was poor. Something happened there that made that team go off the rails and were unable to get back in the Mem Cup. Bo was a part of that, though I don't think anywhere near the biggest culprit. Check Knights team board for more details. I lurked a lot there during the season but haven't really gone back since the Mem cup.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Agree with the posters who feel Horvat could make it....the thing about Bo is that he's a beast on the defensive side of the puck....excellent on faceoffs and strong on his skates...he won't hurt you while he's out there. Canucks can afford to wait on his offense, as long as he's a third or fourth line centre who starts most of his shifts in the defensive zone...at the very least could see him lasting nine games to start the season.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Tortorella was an idiot when Gaunce, Horvat, and Shinkaruk performed well last year in TC.

Horvat doesn't compete with Hansen, since he's a LW or C.

TBH, I don't think Horvat was ready last year. Because of injuries, if he could have been called up, he obviously would have gotten some time with the team, but to start the year, there's no way.

I think Gaunce was closer last year, and looks to have taken huge steps forward this year, but because he's AHL eligible probably doesn't make the roster full time until Richardson's contract is up in a year.

Horvat could make it this year though. I think there's a very good chance at a tryout. If the tryout doesn't work, I think there's a good chance Gaunce is called up to be tried in that spot.

Regardless, a year from now I expect both players to make the team for sure.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

If Horvat makes the team, it won't be because he beat out Sestito. Totally different roles.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Well he either has a 3rd or 4th line role on a team that rolls 4 lines so

Higgins
Burrows
Matthias
Richardson

Seem like untouchables to me

Vey and Dorsett seem to be locks as well so where's the room for him Pretty much as the 13th forward, unless he really outperforms Matthias, Richardson, or Vey All possible.

I just think Sestito or Hansen being waived or traded is entirely the way to fit Horvat in.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Horvat goal:
DSQcHmy.gif

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I just think Sestito or Hansen being waived or traded is entirely the way to fit Horvat in.

Neither needs to be waived. The Canucks have 13 forwards and 7 defencemen who are waiver eligible. Horvat is the only non-AHL eligible prospect of note competing for a spot this year, so the obvious thing to do if he looks worth giving a shot is to give him that shot, and make decisions regarding other players after seeing how that works out. No need to bleed NHL talent (and even Sestito is at least replacement level) where it's not necessary.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
:facepalm:

Horvat playing 4th line minutes or playing a 3rd line winger where his strengths wont be used.

Send him down, hopefully he improves his scoring, leads team Canada to gold, and most likely gets traded for a long playoff run in the O.

Nice goal this morning.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
:facepalm:

Horvat playing 4th line minutes or playing a 3rd line winger where his strengths wont be used.

Send him down, hopefully he improves his scoring, leads team Canada to gold, and most likely gets traded for a long playoff run in the O.

Nice goal this morning.

The new Canucks system is going to have a 10-12 min a night 4th line.

Sometimes that will be 15.

And more importantly with 20 NHL games under his belt he can totally be 3c.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
The new Canucks system is going to have a 10-12 min a night 4th line.

Sometimes that will be 15.

And more importantly with 20 NHL games under his belt he can totally be 3c.

Why rush him? The Canucks are no where near winning the Stanley Cup. All coaches say the same things when they first get the job. " I like to roll 4 lines". Willie, wont be rolling all 4 lines once he finds out how dreadful our 4th line is. Coaches coach to win, and Willie will adjust and roll 3 lines and lean heavy on the twins to make things happen.

Torts, AV said the same thing.. The only time the fans experience a 4 line team was when lapierre, higgins, glass, torres, Hansen, Raymond, malhotra(pre injury) were capable of moving up and down the depth chart, again this team has poor depth, meaning we wont have a 4 line team like the bruins, hawks.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why rush him? The Canucks are no where near winning the Stanley Cup. All coaches say the same things when they first get the job. " I like to roll 4 lines". Willie, wont be rolling all 4 lines once he finds out how dreadful our 4th line is. Coaches coach to win, and Willie will adjust and roll 3 lines and lean heavy on the twins to make things happen.

Torts, AV said the same thing.. The only time the fans experience a 4 line team was when lapierre, higgins, glass, torres, Hansen, Raymond were capable of moving up and down the depth chart, again this team has poor depth, meaning we wont have a 4 line team like the bruins, hawks.

We have lots of depth. What we lack is probably more the second line higher end players. I think this team will roll 4 lines as there is a lot of bottom six talent. It gives the team the best chance to win. Relying on the top two lines when the second line is not that great would put us at a disadvantage.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Bo played great for London up until the WJC. He was putting up around 1.5 PPG and still holding down his defensive chores admirably. He seemed to lose a step when he returned from the WJC, some have speculated he picked up a (foot?) injury while playing. He missed a few games to various injuries and saw his scoring pace drop off somewhat.
Horvat 2013-14:

Until WJC: 28, 16+28=44 (1.57 PPG)
After WJC: 26, 14+16=30 (1.15 PPG)

I think at he injured his foot WJC when he blocked shot.

CanaFan said:
His playoffs were disappointing but the entire Knights team was poor. Something happened there that made that team go off the rails and were unable to get back in the Mem Cup.
Horvat was good against Windsor. He played 4 games and did 8 (4+4) points.

Then London starting goalie Anthony Stolarz got eight-game suspension for a one-handed hack to the back of forward Josh Ho-Sang’s helmet and London missed their two physical defensemans Zach Bell and Brady Austin for injuries for rest of the season. I think at those were a jarring gut shot to their mental side. Also regular season winner Guelph was great team too, but i think at London's game mentally dropped that Windsor-series last game. :dunno:

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
What is the plan in London for next season?

Do the Knights try to continue being competitive or are they going to be rebuilding like some posts over on the Knights board suggests?

I don't know how I'd feel about sending Horvat back to Junior if it's to be part of a rebuild.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
What is the plan in London for next season?

Do the Knights try to continue being competitive or are they going to be rebuilding like some posts over on the Knights board suggests?

I don't know how I'd feel about sending Horvat back to Junior if it's to be part of a rebuild.

If he does get sent back to a rebuilding team, either...

1) he will become heavily relied upon to provide both offence and defence all season, which gives him a great opportunity to carry a team (and us a great opportunity to evaluate him based on that), or...

2) he will be traded mid-season to a real contender and be given a great opportunity to win the Memorial Cup playing with better players, hopefully improving his offence all the same.

I think there are pros and cons to both situations (making it to the NHL or getting sent back down). Hypothetically, what if we keep him in the NHL and he becomes even more defensively-minded seeing how his offence needs work and gradually becomes like a Malhotra vs. sending him down giving him the responsibilities to produce which then "unlocks" his offensive potential and then develops into a more offensive two-way player?

It's one out of a thousand possibilities, but the point is you can ruin a prospect by rushing him but not by developing him.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Horvat 2013-14:

Until WJC: 28, 16+28=44 (1.57 PPG)
After WJC: 26, 14+16=30 (1.15 PPG)

I think at he injured his foot WJC when he blocked shot.

Horvat was good against Windsor. He played 4 games and did 8 (4+4) points.

Then London starting goalie Anthony Stolarz got eight-game suspension for a one-handed hack to the back of forward Josh Ho-Sang’s helmet and London missed their two physical defensemans Zach Bell and Brady Austin for injuries for rest of the season. I think at those were a jarring gut shot to their mental side. Also regular season winner Guelph was great team too, but i think at London's game mentally dropped that Windsor-series last game. :dunno:

Thanks, that jives with what I recall seeing and hearing last year but nice to see someone else confirm the exact numbers and chain of events. Overall I think Bo had a solid draft +1 season though it could have been even better, based on how he performed prior to the WJC.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
London will not be a good team next year and the players on the Canucks NHL roster (yes, event the 4th line) will be more talented than just about anyone in London/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad