Movies: Horror Movie Discussion

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
MV5BMTU2ODMzMjAzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDYzMDcwMzI@._V1_.jpg

Pin (1988) - 7/10

An isolated youth finds comfort in a medical dummy.

David Hewlett stars as Leon, who along with sister Ursula (Cynthia Preston) are the children of two unusual parents - a regimented doctor (Terry O'Quinn) and a clean freak housewife (Bronwen Mantel). The siblings find solace in each other and also in Pin (voiced by Jonathan Banks), a medical dummy in their father's office. Dr. Banks knows ventriloquism and uses Pin to teach his children various medical lessons. For Leon, the isolated lifestyle eventually becomes too much for him, and he forms an obsession with the dummy...

Pin was wirtten and directed by Sandor Stern. The film is based Andrew Neiderman's 1981 novel of the same name. Neiderman is also known for writing The Devil's Advocate, which was later adapted into a 1997 film starring Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves. Stern, who was previously a doctor himself, took interest in the plot due to its focus on a medical dummy. The film was scheduled to be the final New Worlds Production to hit theaters, but at the last second was pulled and was released direct-to-video instead. How does Pin fare?

Really well. Pin is a psychological slow burn of a movie, with many disturbing elements and deeply unsettling scenes. None of this has to do with the doll itself. The scenes that make the audience uneasy instead tackle real-life issues, like emotional abuse, mental illness, and sexuality. Pin (the medical dummy) is just a plot device helping to tie all of this together.

Being vague, though this is a horror movie, there's not a lot of outright horror. There are some creepy scenes, but as mentioned, a lot of that comes from how unsettling certain situations are. Pin (the film title) is a character-driven story, and a lot of the time the audience is likely feeling pity more than fear.

I do have one small critique. There's a scene where a character (sorry for the vagueness) witnesses something and it seems to rattle them to their core. Though it is unsettling, logically that character should've had an idea/been clued into the situation based on previous events in the film. It's a small nitpick, but a nitpick nonetheless.

Overall, Pin was a very good movie. I'm on the fence about whether my rating is too low, so this one has the potential to go up after repeat viewings. My review is purposely vague and I recommend this hidden gem of a movie, though it's not necessarily the greatest choice as a Halloween season watch. I couldn't find any budget or earnings information for this direct-to-video (Canadian) movie.
Awesome write-up here bud. Instantly added to my list. Definitely looking forward to this one. I bet I can even talk the old lady into watching it, since she picked the last couple. Right up our alley of creepy and unsettling f***ed-up-ness.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
p8799_k_h10_aa.jpg

Razorback (1984) - 6/10

A massive razorback boar stalks the Australian outback.

Bill Kerr stars as Jake, a hunter whose family is attacked by an unnaturally big razorback. With the locals not believing his story, Jake becomes a pariah and dedicates his life to hunting down the boar. No one else believes the boar exists aside from Sarah (Arkie Whiteley), a local who tracks boar activity. Meanwhile, American wildlife reporter Beth (Judy Morris) - on the eve of her anniversary to Carl (Gregory Harrison) - heads from New York to Australia to film an expose about a pet food processing plant, but soon meets Jake and discovers his story is true...

Razorback was directed by Russell Mulcahy and written by Everett De Roche. The film is based on a 1981 Peter Brennan novel of the same name. The story is believed to be loosely based on the death of Azaria Chamberlain, the infant who was killed by a dingo. How does Razorback fare?

It's good... but often feels like it's on the cusp of being something more. Even with the frustratingly low-quality digital version I purchased from Apple, Razorback's strong visuals stand out. A lot of the "sets" in this film are the desolate outback, with the memorable cinematography including the use of flashlights cutting through the dusty and foggy landscape. Apparently, even Steven Speilberg called director Mulcahy to ask him how one particular shot was created.

Speaking of whom, is Razorback a Jaws (1975) rip-off? No. There are similarities here or there - including a dollar store version of the dolly zoom (it's not really a dolly zoom shot but feels like a weird homage). But for the most part, Razorback does its own thing. Being vague, this film has brass ones. It takes a big chance in the first 30 minutes or so, and while its not the first movie to do what I'm talking around, I thought it was effective and it got me more invested in the events.

Even with those strengths, Razorback is held back (no pun intended) by being too by the numbers. Didn't I just say this film takes a big chance? It does, but after that happens, things become a little too formulaic. Being that this film is centered around a reporter, our characters are investigating what's going on. But we always know more than they do, so there's never any drama when they unearth discoveries the audience has known about for 30+ minutes. Furthermore, the razorback boar seems to take a back seat for a lot of the film. It doesn't feel like an omnipresent threat that can strike at any time and that's terrorizing the region. On the contrary, Razorback's body count is very low, and for much of the movie only targets people that are actively targeting it.

Overall, I had an okay time with Razorback. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a hidden gem, but it's a good movie that I'd never heard of. Razorback was a box-office dud, reportedly earning only $950K against its roughly $3.6M budget.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Awesome write-up here bud. Instantly added to my list. Definitely looking forward to this one. I bet I can even talk the old lady into watching it, since she picked the last couple. Right up our alley of creepy and unsettling f***ed-up-ness.

Thanks, I hope you both like it!

It's on Youtube. The video quality isn't the greatest, but I'm a fan of this channel:

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad