GDT: Honoring the GOAT: HHOF Game, Devils @ Maple Leafs, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I'm nitpicking but I don't like that scorpion save that much since the Rags scored later that shift
Do you have any idea how hard that save is to make? Was one of the best saves ive seen a goalie make in the playoffs.

Most fail when trying that

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
it was an amazing save and all but essentially meaningless
That's a horribe way at looking at a goalie. They won that game, so it was NOT meaningless, that clearly saved a goal.
So by your flawed logic, none of the saves cory has made in his 2 games matter and is meaningless, bc they lost.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I grew up a huge Devils fan. I mean how could you not when they were so good for so long, but the first game I ever went to live was Leafs and Devils. Immediately I fell in love with the team. So many likeable players throughout the years, but my two favorites were always Brodeur and Elias.

However Brodeur is one of my favorite of all time for this reason. I own his Jersey, I own a game worn Jersey of his, I own a NJ puck and his hockey card plaque thing of his. I regularly tuned into Devils games for a very long time (less in recent years admittedly) and he will always have a special place in my life to me.

So I guess I just wanted to say, as fate has it, I am really happy that I get to see this tonight. I was so sad when he left the Devils and was even sadder when he retired. However, I don't think him as a member of anyone other than the Devils will ever be how he is remembered.

Hoping for an injury free game tonight. Leafs have been historically bad at home and are undefeated on the road so it should be interesting. You guys are also getting Sparks which many Leaf fans do not think is a NHL level goalie.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
That's a horribe way at looking at a goalie. They won that game, so it was NOT meaningless, that clearly saved a goal.
So by your flawed logic, none of the saves cory has made in his 2 games matter and is meaningless, bc they lost.

sure whatever. that one play ended the same way whether or not he made that save. it was a great save, but it did not "save the game" or have any impact, because that play ended with a goal being scored just the same.

corey's performance has literally nothing to do with anything i said in my post. if a goalie makes a great save and they score on a rebound does the save matter?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember Marty making that same scorpion save back in 2001 (I think?) or 2002 in the regular season against the Islanders, although I'm almost positive it was on a breakaway in that game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I remember Marty making that same scorpion save back in 2001 (I think?) or 2002 in the regular season against the Islanders, although I'm almost positive it was on a breakaway in that game.

I remember what you’re talking about. Not quite as scorpion like but he basically clipped it with his skate heel. Was very impressive.

He really was one of a kind.

Better quality clip added as well. It's crazy to me how much force he gets behind the one against the Rangers. I don't think I could come close to doing that if I tried :laugh:

tumblr_m45ov72gmk1rofs78o1_500.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Well, if you really want to drill down on amazing saves, a pretty good percentage of them are probably dumb luck.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
best save i ever saw marty make was late in the game against the red wings i believe, it must have been a game between '96-'99. it was a one timer and he made a sprawling superman save with his goal stick. doc was flipping out about how it was one of the best saves he made in his young career. still havent been able to find the highlight.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm stunned!

Talk about finding the ugly blemish in the beautiful picture. It was an incredibly unique save by a 40 year old goaltender in a big playoff game.

Plus we won the series lol...it's not like the Endy Chavez catch that gets romanticized in a series the Mets lost.

My favorite Marty save(s) is probably one that's not on YouTube, when he stonewalled Lemieux and Jagr point-blank back-to-back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember what you’re talking about. Not quite as scorpion like but he basically clipped it with his skate heel. Was very impressive.

He really was one of a kind.

Better quality clip added as well. It's crazy to me how much force he gets behind the one against the Rangers. I don't think I could come close to doing that if I tried :laugh:

tumblr_m45ov72gmk1rofs78o1_500.gif

Thanks! I don't even think I've seen that one from 2001-2002 since the year it happened! I've been on the McKay guy's youtube channel, but since that year was pretty underwhelming by that era's Devils standards, I never really poked through that season's videos.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
best save i ever saw marty make was late in the game against the red wings i believe, it must have been a game between '96-'99. it was a one timer and he made a sprawling superman save with his goal stick. doc was flipping out about how it was one of the best saves he made in his young career. still havent been able to find the highlight.
It's funny that more people remember this one than I do. I've had others talk about this on here, but I barely remember it. I used to either watch in person or real time/tape (back in the VHS days) EVERY Devils game back then, as I still do today if I miss one in person or in real time. This may be one that if you asked me 10 years after it happened, I probably would have remembered it, but I've had trouble retaining more and more things from the late 90's lately haha.
Plus we won the series lol...it's not like the Endy Chavez catch that gets romanticized in a series the Mets lost.

My favorite Marty save(s) is probably one that's not on YouTube, when he stonewalled Lemieux and Jagr point-blank back-to-back.
Now that one I do remember. That was in a regular season in 2000-2001. Was that in overtime? Maybe not?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Notable players who laced them up for both teams

Gilmour
Muller
Andreychuk
Neuwyndyke
Sullivan
Mogilny
Dave Ellett
Steve Thomas
Peter Zezel
Aaron Broten
Tom Kurvers
Clarkson
Ken Klee

Who else?
How about David Wendel Clarkson?:sarcasm: I haven't checked the replies on this page yet, but I'm sure someone beat me to that one.

How about this one, Alexei Ponikarovsky! He seemed like he was there for almost 10 years.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Devils have to play solid for a full 60 minutes. They must stay disciplined, passes must be crisp and we need to win FOs.

They can do it. They have done it before, this season

Go Devils

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
The Marty save in Detroit was on I think Fedorov. it was probably in the 96-97 season. Doc remembered it for years after this. He highlighted in in future games as Marty’s greatest save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad