Home team discounts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This reminds me of when Glencross regretted taking a hometown discount to stay with the Flames

Players do this, specifically to have a better chance to win. I think Slavin qualifies as that. Also McDavid famously rejected an Oilers contract offer because it was too high an AAV
Yet, the Oilers then later give that savings over to Nurse, so in the end, $22 mill is what they would have paid at FMV for McDavid/Nurse in the end.

Never a guarantee that the management won't blow the savings you give them. In the NFL, NE during most of Brady's tenure, were unemotional when it came to contracts and players. Famous line from NE is that they moved off a player 1 year early rather than 1 year late.

Contracts also need to consider age. Slavin's deal looks great, but he's also going to be 31 when he starts it. Burns & Suter last season, finished their deals at the age Slavin would be in his final year, as a comp.

Reactions: mattihp

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was reported by multiple sources because both Connor's financial team and the Oilers agreed to say it publicly. There is a very real possibility that this "could have asked for more" gem came from the Oilers communications department as a way to combat any criticism that might have come up over signing McDavid to the highest AAV in hockey. Criticism that would have been silly, in my opinion.
Then why would we believe any claimed instance of home town discounts? I know a lot of time it's obvious, but imo it's quite believable that McDavid could have got 13.25 aav on his current deal. If he really wanted league max the Oilers would pay

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Then why would we believe any claimed instance of home town discounts? I know a lot of time it's obvious, but imo it's quite believable that McDavid could have got 13.25 aav on his current deal. If he really wanted league max the Oilers would pay
Think the max for Connor would have been $15 mill at the time. By the time Connor is eligible for a new deal, the max will be over $18 mill maybe almost $19 mill.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Maroon took league minimum to come home to STL in 2019, not that he was leaving a ton of money on the table but I am sure he had better offers elsewhere.

Reactions: mattihp

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Panarin rejecting the Islanders’ $12M+ to play in New York and instead signed a cheaper deal with his home town team New York.

• Haha
Reactions: FrankSidebottom

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
"I think it was a big factor," Niedermayer's agent Kevin Epp said. "Playing with Rob, the West Coast, closer to family. A little bit of everything."

Epp said Niedermayer picked the Ducks over the Devils on Wednesday afternoon, despite New Jersey offering over $1 million more per season and the willingness to add a fifth year to the deal.

Not really a 'home town' discount per se, but Scott Niedermayer signed for less in Anaheim than what the Devils were offering. Along with his brother being a Duck, Niedermayer mentioned that his in-laws lived in southern California during the winters which was a bonus as they could spend more time with the grandkids.

Reactions: mattihp and banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Spezza and Giordano, in recent memory, both took less to sign in Toronto. I'm sure they weren't turning down multi millions per year. But it was widely reported that they each had higher offers elsewhere.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Selanne played his last ~5 years for the Ducks on rather cap friendly one year contracts. They weren't league minimum as I recall but well below his market value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad