Post-Game Talk: Home Opener: Canucks 5, Flames 2. The Alien has landed.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I didn't really mind Pouliot tonight, maybe it's just me. I thought Edler had a lot of problems in his own zone at ES
He didn't stand out too much which is good for him. Usually he's standing out for a bad play, but he didn't stand out too much tonight.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
That's something that perplexes me. His defensive coverage when set up in the defensive zone is generally good. Like you rarely see him make gaffes in those situations and his underlying numbers aren't bad... but his off the rush defense is bad. He lets players go straight past him and sticks out a lazy stick after a pass (or player) goes past him. Weird because offensively it's the opposite. He does good things off the rush and then struggles once setup.

In regards to Pouliot. I think everyone realizes he is the most offensively capable defenseman on this team. His transition play is quite good. It's just that he's by far the worst defensive player I've ever seen in my life. He never looks like he knows what he's doing defending in transition or when set up in the defensive zone. It's really hard to credit a player for something when his deficiencies override anything he does well by such a big margin.

Broadly agree with most of your summary and your points on Virtanen. Good in the d-zone when set up, but can struggle on the rush or moving and can do some poor stick checking when he's unsure. I'm hoping this can improve with experience and confidence to make up for his weakness in thinking the game. But his positives outweigh this weakness in the role he is in on Sutter's line. His forecheck was very impressive and he is one of the few players making physical plays all over the ice to help back the other team up and force them into quick decisions and mistakes. And of course he has the ability to get dangerous chances against the flow of play that he showed on that goal.

On Pouliot, I think we agree on his offensive and transition play and where he needs to improve, but today gave me a bit of hope as I think he did alright in the D zone, As mentioned above, he did look a better skater this game after what I thought was a poor preseason.

Reactions: daddyohsix and Peen

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Are you suggesting that the plus/minus stat is sufficient to give you a general idea of how any player played in any given game?

His actual shift by shift play in his own end was pretty abysmal, in my opinion, although it didn't cost him in this game due to some stellar goaltending.
His plus/minus had nothing to do with it..In fact,just watching the game,I was impressed by the way he was playing compared to how he played during the pre season...I didn't see him as a liability.....Obviously you did,..to each their own I say.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Pettersson will be looked at as the best player on the team by the end of the year. I would not be surprised to be our point leader either.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Can we just continue to mention that tyler f***ing motte, who absolutely NOBODY (including myself) gave him any chance what so ever to make this team, somehow plays unreal in preseason, makes the team, and then continues to play ridiculous in his first game of the year on the PK.

What a damn good story so far

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Underrated game from Boeser and Horvat too. Thought Baertchi was invisible

Pettersson breathed life into Eriksson. Goldobin took advantage of his chance but didnt think he showed a lot

Virtanen like Goldobin i didnt think had a good chance but got a goal. Sutter good on PK. Motte = BEAST

Beagle and Lipesic solid games. Granlund ok for a 4th liner

Not entirely. He scored a nice goal. ^_^

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Can we just continue to mention that tyler ****ing motte, who absolutely NOBODY (including myself) gave him any chance what so ever to make this team, somehow plays unreal in preseason, makes the team, and then continues to play ridiculous in his first game of the year on the PK.

What a damn good story so far

Hell yeah.

I will say this however. Before camp started, I had Motte pegged as a dark horse to make the team and stated as such (can’t find the thread/post but I did say it).

At the trade deadline last season, I seem to recall mentioning that perhaps a guy like Motte could be our version of Kris Draper one day (I had Motte pegged as a center when we acquired him).

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Everyone needs to relax on Boeser. He’ll be fine. I’d put Pettersson with him to get him going.

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser
Motte-Sutter-Eriksson
Leipsic-Beagle-Granlund

Yeah, I dunno. He doesn't look hurt to you? He looks hurt to me. He looks like he really needs more time to rest and rehab. At first I thought it might be a little rust after a long time off the skates, but now I'm a little more worried.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This was an excellent signing by Benning.
Check back in 4 years. If it was 1/2 years and we were competing now he'd be a good signing. Like the Eriksson deal we need his last years to be the good ones she they are likely to be the worst.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Yeah, I dunno. He doesn't look hurt to you? He looks hurt to me. He looks like he really needs more time to rest and rehab. At first I thought it might be a little rust after a long time off the skates, but now I'm a little more worried.

Meh. If Boeser needs some time off to heal up, then so be it. It appears as though the Canucks are starting to get a semblance of depth up front now. They still have a ways to go in this regard, but I don’t think they will be as susceptible to the injury bug as they were in previous years.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
A lot of posters are subconsciously biased based on their previous experiences with certain players. The fact is players like Pouliot, Granlund, Eriksson, Motte, Beagle & Markstrom played great while Boeser, Horvat & Baertchi played like Sh*t.

I'm seeing this too. I guess it makes sense, because expectation is often a huge part of how we take in entertainment, and it colors our view of it to an amazing degree, but it's still funny to see so many posters doing it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
His plus/minus had nothing to do with it..In fact,just watching the game,I was impressed by the way he was playing compared to how he played during the pre season...I didn't see him as a liability.....Obviously you did,..to each their own I say.
Errr... you were the one who brought up plus/minus as a reason why my assessment might be unreasonable, not me.

I get it,but how does one have a 'terrible' game when they didn't even concede a single goal on the ice,but were a plus 4..?...If you read through the posts of the game,he had a fairly solid game.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I get it,but how does one have a 'terrible' game when they didn't even concede a single goal on the ice,but were a plus 4..?...If you read through the posts of the game,he had a fairly solid game.
Just surprised that a player with a +4 had a terrible game...must be a first since the invention of the sport.
You're going around in circles. Make up your mind.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sure..why not..I think that your bias against the player had something do with how you rated his game..
Why did I praise Granlund's defensive game, despite traditionally criticizing his defensive game in the past, if that's the case? Why didn't I argue that Baertschi wasn't that bad, despite praising and defending his overall value in the past?

It's easy to baselessly throw around assumptions about the motivations of people you disagree with in order to dismiss them. It's a petty and childish way to respond to things that rub you the wrong way.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why did I praise Granlund's defensive game, despite traditionally criticizing his defensive game in the past, if that's the case? Why didn't I argue that Baertschi wasn't that bad, despite praising and defending his overall value in the past?

It's easy to baselessly throw around assumptions about the motivations of people you disagree with in order to dismiss them. It's a childish way to respond to things you don't like.
As I said..your opinion..I thought Beartschi was invisible...I thought Virtanen had a good game (coach did too).. ..but of course you have to shit on Gudbranson (par for the course)...again thats my opinion..but a +4 Dman having a terrible game..?..right.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As I said..your opinion..I thought Beartschi was invisible...I thought Virtanen had a good game (coach did too).. ..but of course you have to **** on Gudbranson (par for the course)...again thats my opinion..but a +4 Dman having a terrible game..?..right.
You didn't address my response at all. Just charged right past it and continued to lob vitriol instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad