Home of Flyers, 76ers needs new naming rights deal after Wells Fargo pulls out

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I heard on the radio the other day - the explanation why modern arena have such boring corporate names.

Let's take Alberta just because I know it. The arena in Edmonton's official name is Rogers Place.

Extremely boring. But there's no way to really shorten it - you can't call it "the Place" (place? what place?). You can't call it Rogers when there's already a Rogers Arena in Vancouver.

Contrast though to Calgary. The arena there is named the Scotiabank Saddledome. Problem is - everyone just calls it the Saddledome (it's shaped like a saddle after all). The sponsor gets way less bang for their buck.

But Calgary is getting a new arena. The name is going to be Scotia Place. So yet another really boring name - but one you can't really shorten. The name sponsor wins again, at the expense of an interesting name.

Apparently that was also an issue in Toronto. The arena was called the Air Canada Centre - which wasn't all that original either, but everyone just abbreviated it to ACC. Apparently Air Canada hated that. So since 2018 it's now Scotiabank Arena.
From what I've read, Air Canada was interested in renewing the Naming rights but not at the amount that MLSE wanted. The Scotiabank deal is $40M a year compared to the Air Canada deal which was $4M a year. So, while the abbreviation of the name may have played a part in the evaluation of what Air Canada felt the naming rights were worth, I suspect that the escalation in MLSE's asking price played a much bigger role.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I think it’s time sports stadiums really start to challenge some of these college football bowl games for the title of silliest name.

There has to be a building that rivals “The Bad Boys Mowers Gasparilla Bowl”
IMG_9711.jpeg

“You want me to do the sideline hit from where?”

Reactions: SirJW

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
I despise naming rights deals, but if you want to have a bit of support from me make it a local operation. Tastycake would be ridiculous sounding, but it's better to have a small bit of local flavor than some global comglomerate with no local ties. Heinz Field in Pittsburgh was a good example of this until the Steelers ruined it.

Wawa might have the bucks to sponsor a stadium. It might be a good idea for advertising to new markets as they expand west and south.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00