GDT: Home Game 2 : Flyers at Ducks - Saturday 7PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Nobody complains about Boll during the games because he is good 4th line enforcer. It's only before or after the games. Like an annoying broken record. And as usual it's the same regardless who the enforcer is. Disney past is still in people's minds.

No one complains because he is on the ice for 3 mins and doesn’t do anything..... I think Most of us, except maybe you, would rather have a 4 th line player who could actually, oh I don’t know, play hockey.

I would love it if the 4 th line was skilled enough to play around 10 mins a game of good energy hockey. That’s not possible with Boll in the lineup.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
People don't complain during the games because he's only playing five minutes and only touches the puck two times per game.
They actually usually some something along the lines actually a good play by Boll or nice hit.
This team has a old school effective coach not some soft analytical boring anti fighting coach. Boll will play and this team will be tough as long as Carlyle is coaching

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
No one complains because he is on the ice for 3 mins and doesn’t do anything..... I think Most of us, except maybe you, would rather have a 4 th line player who could actually, oh I don’t know, play hockey.

I would love it if the 4 th line was skilled enough to play around 10 mins a game of good energy hockey. That’s not possible with Boll in the lineup.
They already tried that with BB playing scrubs like Etem etc The 4th line with Carlyle will always have an enforcer especially against tough teams

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Why not play Wagner. Ras, and Sabourin? Sab is tough and battles well. Same as Wags. That would actually be a tough energy line that has some skill. So much better than playing 2 scrubs like Boll and Grant.

But you wouldn’t accept that cause there is no truly archaic enforcer on the line.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Actually, people of on the Ducks board has been quite appreciative of enforcers in the past. It just happens to be so that nearly everyone we had for the last 7-8 years has been terrible, with the exception for Tim Jackman. He could somewhat play. Brad May and Shawn Thornton too. And George Parros and Todd Fedoruk were fan favourites in their primes.

Now let this sink in ... Despite the injuries RC still didn't trust Boll with more than 5 minutes of ice time on opening night. Meanwhile he trusted Logan Shaw with 15. Suprisingly only a fraction of that was on the penalty kill. So as bad as Shaw may sometimes look, he's also put in 3 times as many situations where he could potentially look bad. And that's just factoring in pure ice time. I could go on about him facing more difficult matchups, seeing some time on the penalty kill, being forced to play twice as much as he ideally could handle, and being expected to make a play on the puck every once in a while.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
They already tried that with BB playing scrubs like Etem etc The 4th line with Carlyle will always have an enforcer especially against tough teams
So since Etem was a failed "skilled" prospect, we should just give up on having any skilled players in our bottom 6, and instead let players like Boll who have no impact at all play? Ok... Boll does not enforce, he does not play hockey well, he does not contribute anything except for being the guy who can sit in the box for someone else and our roster be untouched. I know you want enforcers, want gritty, physical punishing hockey instead of the skilled, fast, finesse hockey (the type that's winning championships...), but when has Boll actually enforced anything or stood up for the team? Manson and Bieksa have done a better job at that then Boll over has on this team.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Nobody complains about Boll during the games because he is good 4th line enforcer. It's only before or after the games. Like an annoying broken record. And as usual it's the same regardless who the enforcer is. Disney past is still in people's minds.
He plays so few minutes, we never notice him. That penalty he served for Gibson was the best thing he's done

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

You don't see the humor in this do you?

No one complains about Boll because he doesn't play enough to positively or negatively impact the game on any kind of consistent basis. People complain before and after because, while he does f*** all during a game, there are other players who could potentially contribute more, and handle more ice time. That's why people don't talk about him during the game. The line-up is already set.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why not play Wagner. Ras, and Sabourin? Sab is tough and battles well. Same as Wags. That would actually be a tough energy line that has some skill. So much better than playing 2 scrubs like Boll and Grant.

But you wouldn’t accept that cause there is no truly archaic enforcer on the line.

In all fairness, I think Sabourin is getting a lot of love just because people are tired of Boll. Sabourin had a good preseason, but mostly against AHL'ers.

Grant is also a grit player who is a PPG in the minors. Sabourin is grit player who isn't close to that production in the AHL. So I don't know what Grant did to deserve the "useless scrub" title (other than play on game next to Boll) while Sabourin gets all this praise.

I don't think guys like Grant or Shaw are good players, but I understand the concept of trying to find dependable 4th liners at league minimum salary, as this team is loaded with big contracts amongst the top end players.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
In all fairness, I think Sabourin is getting a lot of love just because people are tired of Boll. Sabourin had a good preseason, but mostly against AHL'ers.

Grant is also a grit player who is a PPG in the minors. Sabourin is grit player who isn't close to that production in the AHL. So I don't know what Grant did to deserve the "useless scrub" title (other than play on game next to Boll) while Sabourin gets all this praise.

I don't think guys like Grant or Shaw are good players, but I understand the concept of trying to find dependable 4th liners at league minimum salary, as this team is loaded with big contracts amongst the top end players.

Well we just saw Winnik sign for 650k, theres more than enough available dependable 4th line players. The team just chooses to let RC play Boll instead.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Nothing was said really in the broadcast but a lot of fans took notice of one save in particular where Gibson did the splits and was pretty slow to get up. Had some of us thinking "groin injury" again.

Do you mean when the puck ended up about 5 feet in front of him after the rebound (might have been a breakaway)? My initial thought was that Gibson got hurt again, but I think he didn't actually see the puck there and stayed down just in case it was under him or somewhere to the side (taking out the bottom of the net).

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Well we just saw Winnik sign for 650k, theres more than enough available dependable 4th line players. The team just chooses to let RC play Boll instead.

Winnik is worth more than that though. Probably outpriced himself and ran out of options.

I'm not pro-Boll. He's earning $900k and is a veteran with no upside. But the Shaw and Grant experiments I can get behind. They are making $650k and are relatively young players who have done well in the minors. Nate Thompson also played in the AHL for a long time as well and didn't really look like an NHL level player until he was 25 or 26.

Also, when this team is completely healthy it's likely that both Shaw and Grant will be in the minors, where they definitely can be helpful. Unfortunately Boll probably stays as the 13th forward while we carry 8 defenseman.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
> Complains about people living in the past
> Valiantly defends pure enforcers that serve no other purpose
> Calls "old school" tactics effective in a later post

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Winnik is worth more than that though. Probably outpriced himself and ran out of options.

I'm not pro-Boll. He's earning $900k and is a veteran with no upside. But the Shaw and Grant experiments I can get behind. They are making $650k and are relatively young players who have done well in the minors. Nate Thompson also played in the AHL for a long time as well and didn't really look like an NHL level player until he was 25 or 26.

Also, when this team is completely healthy it's likely that both Shaw and Grant will be in the minors, where they definitely can be helpful. Unfortunately Boll probably stays as the 13th forward while we carry 8 defenseman.

I do agree on Shaw, I like his effort and he actually can kill a penalty. Haven't seen enough of Grant yet, but I do agree that he wont be around once the team gets healthy.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
> Complains about people living in the past
> Valiantly defends pure enforcers that serve no other purpose
> Calls "old school" tactics effective in a later post

> Rinse and repeat.

> Says others sound like broken records.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
They actually usually some something along the lines actually a good play by Boll or nice hit.
This team has a old school effective coach not some soft analytical boring anti fighting coach. Boll will play and this team will be tough as long as Carlyle is coaching

Boll isn't any good any more at his job. Sabourin is significantly faster, significantly better with the puck, significantly better away from the puck, can land far more punishing hits on far more players because of his speed, actually gets in position for and can take shots on net, and most importantly doesn't care nearly about his own health to the degree that Boll does. Boll just hugs people to a standstill at this point. He's fighting so defensively that he punishes nobody. That's a skill, but it's not useful. Opposing players aren't going to be deterred from taking a cheap shot because Boll will hug them for 45 seconds then they'll sit for 5 minutes. Good enforcers land punches, and Boll is too concerned with not getting punched to throw scary punches at this point. Not that I'd want his job, ever, but - that's his job.

There are better options in the organization for what Boll does. They should be used.

And Boll playing vs Arizona was asinine. Nobody was going to fight him. Beauchemin, Manson, Bieksa, Ritchie, and Holzer were more than capable of handling whatever Arizona could have thrown at them. All Boll did was ensure than one of Ritchie or Kase was wasted that night.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Boll isn't any good any more at his job. Sabourin is significantly faster, significantly better with the puck, significantly better away from the puck, can land far more punishing hits on far more players because of his speed, actually gets in position for and can take shots on net, and most importantly doesn't care nearly about his own health to the degree that Boll does. Boll just hugs people to a standstill at this point. He's fighting so defensively that he punishes nobody. That's a skill, but it's not useful. Opposing players aren't going to be deterred from taking a cheap shot because Boll will hug them for 45 seconds then they'll sit for 5 minutes. Good enforcers land punches, and Boll is too concerned with not getting punched to throw scary punches at this point. Not that I'd want his job, ever, but - that's his job.

There are better options in the organization for what Boll does. They should be used.

And Boll playing vs Arizona was asinine. Nobody was going to fight him. Beauchemin, Manson, Bieksa, Ritchie, and Holzer were more than capable of handling whatever Arizona could have thrown at them. All Boll did was ensure than one of Ritchie or Kase was wasted that night.

Can't emphasize this enough. We saw the evidence of that too.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Do you mean when the puck ended up about 5 feet in front of him after the rebound (might have been a breakaway)? My initial thought was that Gibson got hurt again, but I think he didn't actually see the puck there and stayed down just in case it was under him or somewhere to the side (taking out the bottom of the net).

This was indeed the play I was thinking of. Good eye!

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

I was wondering why everyone thought Ritchie was playing well. I thought he was marginally better than he was in preseason but was pretty invisible. Hopefully getting Bolled motivated him.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Boll sucks. He isn't good at hockey and he isn't a good enforcer either. All he does is waste a roster spot and ensure his line will be worse then it would be without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad