Holy Cross may join Hockey East and play at DCU Center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The new ECHL team in Worcester is not happy about this - stay tuned

:popcorn:

http://www.telegram.com/sports/20160914/holy-cross-hockey-could-be-moving-to-hockey-east-dcu-center

According to multiple sources, Holy Cross has been approached about replacing Notre Dame in Hockey East when the Fighting Irish leave after this winter. That move would require the Crusaders to play their home games at the DCU Center.

And in the event the change in leagues occurs, Holy Cross would be sharing the building with the new Worcester Railers of the ECHL.

The Railers are scheduled to begin play in October, 2017.

“We became aware of it (Monday),†said ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna, “and we’re very concerned about it. Beyond that, we don’t care to comment further.â€

Neither Holy Cross athletic director Nathan Pine nor Railers owner Cliff Rucker would comment about the Crusaders’ possible move to Hockey East and the DCU Center.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
As I posted in the other forum this is a great idea. Would rather boot UConn out and send them back to the Atlantic or to ECAC and have 2 less teams but Hockey East needs more games inside the greater Boston area I liked it when Maine was the only team that wasn't close and wasn't a home and home due to distance. Good rivalries for them in Hockey East.

HC is the only team that considers BC a rival in football (ND and Cuse really don't) and PC is a similar school and historic rival in hoops.

ECHL team should scram and give HC a better shot at getting nice big 5k plus crowds. Since the Providence Bruins don't play in the ECHL Holy Cross would draw more fans for games against the likes of BU/BC/PC than any ECHL game would. It needs to go back to its roots and be a Southern league again since there is no need for Western ECHL teams with Western Conference NHL franchises moving their AHL affiliates to those cities.

Minor league hockey only works in places with little else going on in terms of pro sports and Worcestor is part of the pro sports mecca that is the Boston area.

The people who run the DCU are dummies though they held a freaking high school graduation in the convention center attached to the arena the same night as a Phish concert and it let out right before the show you shoulda seen how mortified the grads and there parents were by the spun out Phish fans walking by. Lol.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Worcester is a paradox - it is still the second largest city in New England but since the end of World War II it is just there. When the Mass Pike was designed in the 50's it was decided to bypass the city and it took decades to make downtown more accessible from the Pike coming from Boston. The city spent a fortune on the airport but refused to build an access road to it :banghead:

The Worcester Telegram received the license for Channel 5 in 1950 and after building studios in Paxton they decided TV had no future and mailed the license back to the FCC - it would have been WTAG-TV.

The ECHL team is doomed if Holy Cross pulls the trigger. The people running the DCU will tell the ECHL pro hockey teams come and go but Holy Cross isn't going anywhere.

As I posted in the other forum this is a great idea. Would rather boot UConn out and send them back to the Atlantic or to ECAC and have 2 less teams but Hockey East needs more games inside the greater Boston area I liked it when Maine was the only team that wasn't close and wasn't a home and home due to distance. Good rivalries for them in Hockey East.

HC is the only team that considers BC a rival in football (ND and Cuse really don't) and PC is a similar school and historic rival in hoops.

ECHL team should scram and give HC a better shot at getting nice big 5k plus crowds. Since the Providence Bruins don't play in the ECHL Holy Cross would draw more fans for games against the likes of BU/BC/PC than any ECHL game would. It needs to go back to its roots and be a Southern league again since there is no need for Western ECHL teams with Western Conference NHL franchises moving their AHL affiliates to those cities.

Minor league hockey only works in places with little else going on in terms of pro sports and Worcestor is part of the pro sports mecca that is the Boston area.

The people who run the DCU are dummies though they held a freaking high school graduation in the convention center attached to the arena the same night as a Phish concert and it let out right before the show you shoulda seen how mortified the grads and there parents were by the spun out Phish fans walking by. Lol.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
If the Holy Cross and the Railers (Worcester's ECHL team) work together, it could benefit them both.

The fan bases for the Holy Cross and the IceCats / Sharks / Railers aren't the same people and the amounts of people showing up for each game vary but if the Holy Cross and Railers marketed together since they would play in the same arena, we could see more people attending both the Holy Cross games and the Railers games.

As it stands right now the Holy Cross's current arena can seat about 1,600 people and the DCU Center can seat somewhere around 15,000 people. But that's never been completely filled for a hockey game. The average for the Sharks games were around 4,000 which if that stays true for the Railers puts them at a decent spot in the attendance rankings for the ECHL.

Now, lets say the Holy Cross gets 3/4 the people that attend the pro hockey games. That puts you around 3,000 plus the current fan base for the Holy Cross, that's a huge improvement over what they could even hold at their current arena and expands the interest in Hockey in Worcester.

Based off of what people have been saying in Worcester, they want the best for both teams. Some of the STHs for the pro teams have expressed interest in giving the team a shot if the two teams share the arena.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't HC only play about 18 home dates a season. Seems like they should be able to make this work, even is someone is going to get stuck playing on Saturday afternoons instead of Saturday night

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If the Holy Cross and the Railers (Worcester's ECHL team) work together, it could benefit them both.

The fan bases for the Holy Cross and the IceCats / Sharks / Railers aren't the same people and the amounts of people showing up for each game vary but if the Holy Cross and Railers marketed together since they would play in the same arena, we could see more people attending both the Holy Cross games and the Railers games.

As it stands right now the Holy Cross's current arena can seat about 1,600 people and the DCU Center can seat somewhere around 15,000 people. But that's never been completely filled for a hockey game. The average for the Sharks games were around 4,000 which if that stays true for the Railers puts them at a decent spot in the attendance rankings for the ECHL.

Now, lets say the Holy Cross gets 3/4 the people that attend the pro hockey games. That puts you around 3,000 plus the current fan base for the Holy Cross, that's a huge improvement over what they could even hold at their current arena and expands the interest in Hockey in Worcester.

Based off of what people have been saying in Worcester, they want the best for both teams. Some of the STHs for the pro teams have expressed interest in giving the team a shot if the two teams share the arena.

I've seen it filled for an NCAA tournament hockey game. Back when the tournament was only 12 teams and it was 2 double headers 2 days in a row for the East regional.

Think it would have been BU vs Denver as the second game the second night back around 97 maybe Drury's last year. I used to LOVE catching 4 games in 2 days as a kid. Maine, BU, and most particularly UNH brought a ton of fans. Hockey East finals and semi finals used to sell out the Garden or come close and Beanpot was an impossible ticket. The move to 16 tournament teams and 2 games the first night with winners playing one game the second combined with 9/11 resulting in no Western teams playing in the East regional ruined the event prior to that it had the kind of buzz a basketball sweet 16 gets.

Now there is talk about moving the tournament games back to campuses due to poor attendance but I'd rather just go back to 12 teams and 2 regionals.

I like the dominance of BU and BC in terms of recruiting its great for local hockey and even more I love the resurgence of my Friars but UNH had the best and biggest fanbase sort of a shame they let Umile suck the life out of the program miss them bringing a crap ton of fans.

Don't see why HC wouldn't get the same kind of support that UML currently has. They sell out Tsongas with ease for the big games I couldn't get tickets to see them play PC last year. Not sure that would happen if there were still a minor league team in that building.

Umass Amherst and Uconn don't really add much to the conference and dilute the talent and are too far for road fans to travel to Holy Cross should be a better program than both. Knew Amherst was a mistake when they were added. Maine and UVM will go back to selling out every game no questions asked the minute they are good and ranked again UVMs crowds are still good went to the PC games up there last year 90% full.

I think the Holy Cross athletic department is finally athletics friendly they should have been a charter Big East member but the powers at be in the 70s wanted to act like they were an Ivy and make a statement that only academics mattered. Shame. I think Worcester would have supported them like Providence supports PC in hoops never seen the Dunk not full for a big time opponent.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Worcester is a paradox - it is still the second largest city in New England but since the end of World War II it is just there. When the Mass Pike was designed in the 50's it was decided to bypass the city and it took decades to make downtown more accessible from the Pike coming from Boston. The city spent a fortune on the airport but refused to build an access road to it :banghead:

The Worcester Telegram received the license for Channel 5 in 1950 and after building studios in Paxton they decided TV had no future and mailed the license back to the FCC - it would have been WTAG-TV.

The ECHL team is doomed if Holy Cross pulls the trigger. The people running the DCU will tell the ECHL pro hockey teams come and go but Holy Cross isn't going anywhere.

Growing up in Springfield, it really surprised me how undeserved central MA is when it comes to local TV news. Springfield had 3 local TV stations. Central MA only seems to get mentioned when it snows.

WWLP in Springfield sent crews to local high school sports, had bureaus in hampshire and fanklin counties.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
You had some good points but 9/11 has nothing to do with where teams go. The NCAA wanted to limit travel costs, wasn't safety related.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Don't see why HC wouldn't get the same kind of support that UML currently has. They sell out Tsongas with ease for the big games I couldn't get tickets to see them play PC last year. Not sure that would happen if there were still a minor league team in that building.

Umass Amherst and Uconn don't really add much to the conference and dilute the talent and are too far for road fans to travel to Holy Cross should be a better program than both. Knew Amherst was a mistake when they were added. Maine and UVM will go back to selling out every game no questions asked the minute they are good and ranked again UVMs crowds are still good went to the PC games up there last year 90% full.

I think the Holy Cross athletic department is finally athletics friendly they should have been a charter Big East member but the powers at be in the 70s wanted to act like they were an Ivy and make a statement that only academics mattered. Shame. I think Worcester would have supported them like Providence supports PC in hoops never seen the Dunk not full for a big time opponent.

I'm pretty sure UML gives out a ton of tickets to students who show their ID. Not sure if Holy Cross does the same thing but I'd imagine they would, or if the same goes for when tournaments are hosted. Since UML owns Tsongas Center they can probably get away with that more as opposed to the games.

Since people see Hockey East as "big league hockey" that's why you see more of an interest at these tournaments and for UML and other competing teams in the Hockey East, you're going to see more sell out crowds and higher attendance rates. HC doesn't get that support because they aren't seen as "big league hockey". The few times I've been to HC games that have been hosted at the DCU Center have had more people in attendance than you'd expect comparing to when the Sharks still played there.

If HC does end up moving to the Hockey East conference, I'd imagine the booster club would jump on board and get fans going to a few road games per season too as they've done with the Sharks and IceCats away games in the past.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Growing up in Springfield, it really surprised me how undeserved central MA is when it comes to local TV news. Springfield had 3 local TV stations. Central MA only seems to get mentioned when it snows.

WWLP in Springfield sent crews to local high school sports, had bureaus in hampshire and fanklin counties.

We have TV3 and a few Local Access Channels and that's it. TV3 hosts a news program at 6:30 and a follow up at 11 I believe. They cover a lot of the local high school sports with live coverage as well as live coverage of our Baseball team (the Bravehearts) and they've done live coverage of the pro hockey teams over the years too. TV3 is also only available with Charter (the only cable provider in Worcester) so if you have the dish or anything else you're out of luck. The video quality of these channels isn't the best so there isn't much to entice people to watch their programming.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure UML gives out a ton of tickets to students who show their ID. Not sure if Holy Cross does the same thing but I'd imagine they would, or if the same goes for when tournaments are hosted. Since UML owns Tsongas Center they can probably get away with that more as opposed to the games.

As tehy should NCAA hockey isn't a cash cow I think student tickets should be free in all NCAA sports no questions asked. PC didn't turn a profit on its hockey program last year despite every game selling out I think and being defending Champs. Not sure how much 'revenue' BU generates even though its their only major sport and they have good attendance and tickets aren't that cheap and they should have great crowds this year.

HC should let WPI, Clark, and Assumption students in for free DCU is big enough. Beats empty seats and enough of them will buy 5 dollar sodas or hot dogs.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
As tehy should NCAA hockey isn't a cash cow I think student tickets should be free in all NCAA sports no questions asked. PC didn't turn a profit on its hockey program last year despite every game selling out I think and being defending Champs. Not sure how much 'revenue' BU generates even though its their only major sport and they have good attendance and tickets aren't that cheap and they should have great crowds this year.

HC should let WPI, Clark, and Assumption students in for free DCU is big enough. Beats empty seats and enough of them will buy 5 dollar sodas or hot dogs.

Just realized some of what I said was cut off in what got quoted lol.

The DCU Center is owned by the City of Worcester and run by a third-party so they wouldn't have too much control on college students getting in for free as opposed to the Tsongas Center which is owned by UMass Lowell and the main tenant of the arena.

You argument about letting college students in from other Worcester seems pretty valid. I've heard the argument made that the Sharks should've given away more tickets on nights that attendance was bad. IceCats were known for giving their sponsors a ton of free tickets, that's how I got into hockey back in the day as my father got tickets all the time as he worked for a company that sponsored the team.

If they the Railers or the HC even gave away tickets to just local schools that could be pretty successful on concessions too. It's just a matter of getting people in the door.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Used to consider BC a rival, until BC starting crushing them every year. But it would be nice to see it revived in hockey at least.

For sure it was one sided. But they at least played unlike BC and ND that rivalry started in the 90s I think there was one bowl game and one game in Foxboro in the 70s prior to Holtz and Coughlin squaring off. BC of course has done very well H2H with ND.

Notre Dame never played Catholic schools back in the day Rockne refused to schedule Catholic schools they went decades between playing another Jesuit school despite most of the ones who are currently somewhat good at basketball having pretty good programs similar but better to HC (Georgetown/St Marys/Detroit/St Louis/Fordham etc.) Hard to blame him everything to lose nothing to gain and ND football was extremely important to the Catholic people across the country. There were also schools ND wouldn't/couldn't play back in the day due to player safety the KKK didn't just pick on African Americans some places were just too dangerous to go.

Its interesting to wonder what would have happened to BC if Holy Cross hadn't beaten them during their greatest season when they were #1 overall and undefeated. If BC won that game a lot of the team probably would have died in the deadliest nightclub fire in Boston history which 500 people passed away in since the team party after the game was scheduled for there. Luckily it got cancelled after the loss.

AP National Championship regardless of that possible tragedy (you didn't have to win your bowl game it was awarded prior) and while its terrible that young players with their entire lives in front of them may have perished if that happened their fanbase surely would have become much bigger similar to how the Munich Air Disaster turned Manchester United into the most popular soccer team on the planet and made them millions of new fans. (BC probably could have been drawing 70k people per game while the Boston Patriots drew about 700.)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Notre Dame also never forgot the slight that the Ivy's would not schedule them and led the fight to have the Ivy League downgraded to 1-AA. To this day the Ivy League does not accept the demotion and will not take part in the 1-AA playoffs.

BC and Holy Cross will play football in 2018 and 2020 for the first time since the 80's.

Notre Dame never played Catholic schools back in the day Rockne refused to schedule Catholic schools they went decades between playing another Jesuit school despite most of the ones who are currently somewhat good at basketball having pretty good programs similar but better to HC (Georgetown/St Marys/Detroit/St Louis/Fordham etc.) Hard to blame him everything to lose nothing to gain and ND football was extremely important to the Catholic people across the country. There were also schools ND wouldn't/couldn't play back in the day due to player safety the KKK didn't just pick on African Americans some places were just too dangerous to go.

Its interesting to wonder what would have happened to BC if Holy Cross hadn't beaten them during their greatest season when they were #1 overall and undefeated. If BC won that game a lot of the team probably would have died in the deadliest nightclub fire in Boston history which 500 people passed away in since the team party after the game was scheduled for there. Luckily it got cancelled after the loss.

AP National Championship regardless of that possible tragedy (you didn't have to win your bowl game it was awarded prior) and while its terrible that young players with their entire lives in front of them may have perished if that happened their fanbase surely would have become much bigger similar to how the Munich Air Disaster turned Manchester United into the most popular soccer team on the planet and made them millions of new fans. (BC probably could have been drawing 70k people per game while the Boston Patriots drew about 700.)

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Ahhhh I always thought the no postseason rule for the Ivy's was due to academics and them not wanting finals interfered with.

On a similar note I think North Dakota St should become a Big 12 member effective immediately and switch schedules with Iowa State or another of their bottom feeders. It is probably that conference's only chance of getting a playoff bid...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't know if I have ever seen a team respond to a coach screwing them with a moronic decision to go for 2 like NDSU did as well. There were like 4 minutes left even if they got the 2 that was a horrible call and a total F you to their D and way too much pressure on their kicker if they got the ball back but surely enough they did and he hit it and they won.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I don't even want to get in to some of the nonsense that's in here except for this:

The new ECHL team in Worcester is not "doomed" if Holy Cross moves to HEA. That might be the overstatement of the year, and for this board, that's saying something.

And if that offer is legitimate, Holy Cross will absolutely be joining Hockey East. You don't get the call to join the SEC of college hockey from the MAC of college hockey (AHA) very often.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't even want to get in to some of the nonsense that's in here except for this:

And if that offer is legitimate, Holy Cross will absolutely be joining Hockey East. You don't get the call to join the SEC of college hockey from the MAC of college hockey (AHA) very often.

Well they have to make the commitment to upgrade their roster etc. and compete at that level.

You don't want to come in and be that team who goes 2-19-2 every year in Hockey East play

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Well they have to make the commitment to upgrade their roster etc. and compete at that level.

You don't want to come in and be that team who goes 2-19-2 every year in Hockey East play

Yeah......and for some reason you think they wouldn't?

AHA just voted to increase it's scholarship limit from 14 to 18 (the standard and NCAA max) in order to better compete with other college hockey conferences. Which means whether HC stays or leaves they'll have 18 scholarships to use. And if they do leave, which they certainly will if offered, they will be able to recruit much better players. I'm sure they understand what that move would mean for them.

The biggest commitment the school would have to make would be to elevate their women's program up from DIII. That means endowing scholarships for that program, but as it is a women's program, it would not be a Title IX issue and would likely be something they would do without hesitation.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

The new ECHL team in Worcester is not "doomed" if Holy Cross moves to HEA. That might be the overstatement of the year, and for this board, that's saying something.

Its nowhere close to the SEC of college hockey right now.

UConn and Umass are zero programs who add nothing and the northern NE state schools are down big time Maine and UNH are in the gutter.

All the crappy Western teams are consolidated in the WCHA so the NCHC is better. Big Ten probably isn't but just got a huge boost from ND.

The Greater Boston area programs are all doing great collectively even Northeastern and Merrimack are competitive and respectable.

Holy Cross is a great fit. As long as their athletic department isn't arrogant and understands that small enrollment+huge arena means they want all the support they can get from nearby colleges, high school players, and youth players (let them in for free and charge decent money to adults for the good seats) they'll do well. Amherst is a slog to get to if you don't live West of Worcester DCU is easy for folks west of Boston and east of Worcester tons of alums and fans of other Hockey East programs can get to DCU easily.

The perfect scenario for college hockey is the Ivys create their own league like the Big Ten, Umass and Uconn to ECAC to give it 8 or so teams, and HC to be #10 in Hockey East. Thats 3 excellent eastern leagues with VERY VERY VERY little travel and lots of home and homes.:nod::nod::nod:

As a Providence fan living north of Boston with a rough ride to home games every conference road game would be in play for me other than Orono but I do want to go to a game there at some point.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

No it isn't nonsense when you look at how the Worcester market operates.

Now IF the ECHL team in Worcester becomes a Bruins team that changes the equation but what I am hearing is Manchester is where the Bruins want to wind up.

http://www.wmur.com/sports/monarchs-sold-from-kings-to-boston-owners/41018570

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
No it isn't nonsense when you look at how the Worcester market operates.

Now IF the ECHL team in Worcester becomes a Bruins team that changes the equation but what I am hearing is Manchester is where the Bruins want to wind up.

http://www.wmur.com/sports/monarchs-sold-from-kings-to-boston-owners/41018570

Fenway man, do you live out here? You have quite the habit of stating a lot of stuff as fact on this board.

The team isn't doomed, the two fan bases don't overlap. And the Worcester ECHL team may or may not become the Bruins affiliate, but that won't doom them either if they don't.

The Ivy League doesn't play in the FCS playoffs because of academics, not anything else, but we don't even have to get in to that.

Worcester is a unique place, to say the least, but they like pro hockey and wanted it back badly enough that they found a committed local owner and got an expansion franchise. How about we let the teams friggin take the ice in the ECHL and HEA before we start talking about how they might not survive huh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad