Proposal: Holloway

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
everyone keeps saying the Oilers are against the cap and honestly I don't see it.

in 25-26 they will be welded at a subatomic level against the cap, but next year, all is good. Assuming we buy out Campbell we've got 14 million and nobody big to sign.
Exactly, unless Draisaitl decides he is leaving anyway. We have the space this year. We can even sign players to fill some key holes to one year deals or trade for players with a year left on their contracts without worry, Matching an offer sheet to Holloway isn't a concern at all.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Absolutely not. The premise of this thread was that the Oilers can't afford Holloway, how can they afford Lindgren's $4M all of a sudden. Both Holloway and Broberg will come in combined less than that next year.
Premise is Oilers can't afford Holloway [b'c rfa no longer elc] -> can they afford to keep him and if borderline no, does that invite poaching offer sheet.
ditto Broberg to a lesser extent

Broberg looks like he is climbing out of irrelevance, but that is not certain.

Bro + Hol each will be over min + count vs cap

Rs Lindgren's $4M for 1 def contributing player almost covers 3 salaries [Holloway + Broberg + the elc]

Other 2 R players jettisoned
replaced from within/current roster = cheap short term work around

----------
Now I admit this works on OP inference you are not gonna buy out Soup, for example.

And it is fair to ask if you get a better return selling these pieces individually.

It is fair to speculate value COULD go up, but right now Holloway, while not a total bust, has done zero to get that sexy a la carte return
Broberg similar to lesser degree

we'll see how it shakes going forward....

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Premise is Oilers can't afford Holloway [b'c rfa no longer elc] -> can they afford to keep him and if borderline no, does that invite poaching offer sheet.
ditto Broberg to a lesser extent

Broberg looks like he is climbing out of irrelevance, but that is not certain.

Bro + Hol each will be over min + count vs cap

Rs Lindgren's $4M for 1 def contributing player almost covers 3 salaries [Holloway + Broberg + the elc]

Other 2 R players jettisoned
replaced from within/current roster = cheap short term work around

----------
Now I admit this works on OP inference you are not gonna buy out Soup, for example.

And it is fair to ask if you get a better return selling these pieces individually.

It is fair to speculate value COULD go up, but right now Holloway, while not a total bust, has done zero to get that sexy a la carte return
Broberg similar to lesser degree

we'll see how it shakes going forward....

I mean, I guess you missed all of the other posts, included my own where it's spelled out that the Oilers don't have a cap problem next year. The year after is where it could possibly hurt. Holloway looks like a very capable 2nd or 3rd line winger this playoff season and Broberg did not look out of place last night. I'd rather fill two rosters spots with players that are showing an ability to play at the NHL level then add Lindgren's 4 mill to a left side that is not needed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mean, I guess you missed all of the other posts, included my own where it's spelled out that the Oilers don't have a cap problem next year. The year after is where it could possibly hurt. Holloway looks like a very capable 2nd or 3rd line winger this playoff season and Broberg did not look out of place last night. I'd rather fill two rosters spots with players that are showing an ability to play at the NHL level then add Lindgren's 4 mill to a left side that is not needed.
I said going on OP inference that soup bought out or other complication creating cap issue.

Not saying you are wrong this instance about cap being/not being a prob

Agree that Hol + more so Bro not dealt now unless some catalyst pushes it.

If they are dealt, and Oil recognize rfa < elc and neither is a bust but both did not meet high draft slotting expectations
Rs could be interested in 2nd round or equivalent for each

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I said going on OP inference that soup bought out or other complication creating cap issue.

Not saying you are wrong this instance about cap being/not being a prob

Agree that Hol + more so Bro not dealt now unless some catalyst pushes it.

If they are dealt, and Oil recognize rfa < elc and neither is a bust but both did not meet high draft slotting expectations
Rs could be interested in 2nd round or equivalent for each

Trading away young, NHL ready players making less than 2M a year for futures is a mistake for pretty much any team, especially one with potential cap challenges.

Reactions: PuckG

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
cap is a real thing
cost of forcing compliance is real

Lindgren rfa rights figure 3.75 - 4.25 per x 4, maybe 4 x 2
Robertson, , 2nd rnd LD prospect rfa rights
Henriksson, 2nd rnd C prospect pending rfa
Leschyshyn, 2nd rnd W a 766,667 expiring

for

Oil late 2024 2nd
Holloway
Broberg
Lavoie

why Oil:
Lindgren helps immediately
Robertson = big LD prospect for some reason [bias favoring Jones?] Rs did not develop, Knob likely knows, can get something out of him
Broberg reasonably likely to continue to next step, and next step after, but time
Holloway not a disaster but not showing anything for a mid 1st pick
Lavoie could turn into something but seeking instant help/cap relief
2nd this yr is a wince but it is late

Hen = not renewed
Les = bury in minors, does not count vs cap or give away
so cap saved, repurposed
Lindgren helps and possibly cushions if Ceci/his cap moved

Rangers:
Lindgren + Robertson likely gets 2 good 2nds + 3rd MIN from UT, which offer Oil must beat.
NY adds speed, height
late 2nd is another pick
Broberg, Holloway = we'll see
Lavoie as a pivot prospect makes this worthwhile
😂
Broberg!

How about a No-bern!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't understand how Holloway, or his agent, can demand even 2M. He should sign a short term, prove it contract for about 1.2M, then work his ass off, and try to actually earn better. The body of work for him so far is tiny, and not very impressive.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The offer sheets worked in the sense that the teams that made the offer sheet got the player. However, both teams likely wished that they had never made the offer because neither player was very good. The reality is that if a player is actually good, their team always matches.
Meh. Penner was pretty good. He was expected to be the guy with all of the drama surrounding the offer sheet, but he really wasn't paid to be a star who could carry a bunch of plugs. And the bonus is he was traded for a nice rental haul that included the first rounder that brought in Klefbom.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
cap is a real thing

for

Oil late 2024 2nd
Holloway
Broberg
Lavoie

why Oil:
Robertson = big LD prospect for some reason [bias favoring Jones?] Rs did not develop, Knob likely knows, can get something out of him
Broberg reasonably likely to continue to next step, and next step after, but time

Hen = not renewed
so cap saved, repurposed

Rangers:
Lindgren + Robertson likely gets 2 good 2nds + 3rd MIN from UT, which offer Oil must beat.
NY adds speed, height
late 2nd is another pick
At least the guys on the Oil side are producing in the AHL and have ceiling potential to take the next step.
Holloway was pacing for 40+ goals even.

All those “2nd rd pedigree” guys bern listed from NYR side are completely worthless. Some of them would likely go unclaimed on waivers I bet even, lol.

And you have Oil adding a 2nd rd pick to boot. .just hilarious.

Lindgren would get maybe a 2nd all by himself. All this other stuff has just wasted ppl bandwidth.

Awful awful take bern..

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Montreal fans bring up offer sheets every off season and they never come. I get they want to speed up their rebuild but there seems to be an unwritten rule about them in the NHL. BB wanted to rent a barn and fight Klowe over the Penner offer sheet because he wasn't told it was coming. Look at how spiteful the Canes got over Montreal offersheet on Aho

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At least the guys on the Oil side are producing in the AHL and have ceiling potential to take the next step.
Holloway was pacing for 40+ goals even.

All those “2nd rd pedigree” guys bern listed from NYR side are completely worthless. Some of them would likely go unclaimed on waivers I bet even, lol.

And you have Oil adding a 2nd rd pick to boot. .just hilarious.

Lindgren would get maybe a 2nd all by himself. All this other stuff has just wasted ppl bandwidth.

Awful awful take bern..
go back + do the math
Lesch at under 1m does not count vs cap
other guy is rfa you do not renew = cap saved

OP premise, agree or disagree, is Holloway might need to be moved due to cap, if OSed is that enuf

value of Lindgren = certain proven D worth 2 2nds + Robertson [a 2nd rounder]
not out of wack vs

Holloway = fine as a buy low maybe at best shows nothing for 15OA and is now rfa, no elc contract benes
Broberg = finally looks like he is getting there but still not 111% given, and again as rfa, no elc contract benes
La = legit upside as a good prospect still elc

assume you bury La. in minors due to cap - tho that defeats him developing w/nhl club = mo valuable to Oil
the cap hit for Hol + Bro is close to 4 for 2 positions
Lindgen is better for same hit or less [coul be 3.5 or 3.75 w/mo term]
and you get less cap hit

No, the offer is good and the deal works
whether or not it is the best deal, or if oil should package separately
is something else
and
OP premise about Oil needs the cap now also shaky
but those are dif points

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No, the offer is good and the deal works
whether or not it is the best deal, or if oil should package separately
is something else
and
OP premise about Oil needs the cap now also shaky
but those are dif points

It really isn't. You're asking for a young, cost controlled middle 6 forward and a young, cost controlled bottom pairing LD and offering the Oilers a $4M LD to play in their bottom pairing. Lindgren isn't good enough to replace Ekholm or Nurse in the top 4.

You're completely ignoring the Oilers needs and making an offer for young players that are now producing to help your teams cap situation and future. There is absolutely 0 benefit to the Oilers here.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
I like Holloway, but he has not even came close to proving enough to warrant a substantial offer sheet, do not see this happening.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Edmonton's cap is 100% fine next year.

They have 10 million to play with and nobody important to re-sign and that's before any moves.

and with a potential 3 million dollar offer sheet, the compensation is a 2nd and the club has to have their own picks in place, which Montreal does not. Someone else could do it, sure, but OP's favourite team couldn't.
Habs has is own 2025 2nd.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
cap is a real thing

for

Oil late 2024 2nd
Holloway
Broberg
Lavoie

why Oil:

Hen = not renewed
so cap saved, repurposed

Rangers:
NY adds speed, height
late 2nd is another pick
Broberg is completely off the table after how he's stepped up this postseason, frankly think he's got a shot at top pair with some in-season further development.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Broberg is completely off the table after how he's stepped up this postseason, frankly think he's got a shot at top pair with some in-season further development.
you gambled and won by waiting
congrats
I call em like I see em, up/down based on immediate recent play + projection, and atp he appears to have turned the corner

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Holloway is exactly the kind of guy I expect to see Montreal pursue this summer, if Edmonton wants to add elsewhere and needs the cap room, I could see him going for a pick or two, much like Dach and Newhook, if Montreal sees some offense that is still untapped.

But this only happens if Edmonton decides they want to improve elsewhere for their current window, and not through an offer sheet.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton's cap is 100% fine next year.

They have 10 million to play with and nobody important to re-sign and that's before any moves.

and with a potential 3 million dollar offer sheet, the compensation is a 2nd and the club has to have their own picks in place, which Montreal does not. Someone else could do it, sure, but OP's favourite team couldn't.
10 mill cap room with 7 players to sign just to be roster compliant. We also need 1-2 top 6 wingers with that cap.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Oilers better off keeping him only if they plan to use him and #64 in draft to move down few spots.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
10 mill cap room with 7 players to sign just to be roster compliant. We also need 1-2 top 6 wingers with that cap.

I posted this earlier:

Oilers have almost $10M in cap space, add in $3.9M with Campbell's buyout with the only pieces you'd really want to bring back as Holloway, Broberg and Desharnais. I don't anticipate any of those three players getting more than $2M a season next year. If Broberg is back, Kulak or Ceci are probably gone which also frees up another $2.75-$3.25M.

Unless he is completely done, Kane and Holloway should be in the top 6 next year.

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Kane

Bottom six players should be easy to replace and cheap.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Montreal and Carolina didn't really benefit from the last two offer sheets, but KK sure cashed in.

I wouldn't expect another one to be thrown around anytime soon, unless someone goes out and pisses-off Tom Dundon again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad