Chauncey Kirby
78​
Bobby Rowe
79​
Bert Russell
80​
Bruce Stuart

Players ranked highest overall on this list
Cyclone Taylor at 1st (tied with 1 other)
Russell Bowie at 4th
Hugh Lehman at 9th (tied with 1 other)
Jack Campbell at 13th
Frank Foyston at 18th
Bob McDougall at 20th
Haviland Routh at 31st
Georges Richardson at 34th
Allan Cameron at 38th
Tom Paton at 41st
Reginald Bradley at 48th

Players ranked lowest overall on this list
Frank Nighbor at 2nd (tied with 2 others)
Lester Patrick at 32nd
Duke Keats at 35th (tied with 1 other)
Didier Pitre at 46th
Punch Broadbent at 68th

Players from our final Top 70 not ranked on this list
Dick Irvin
Harry Hyland
Jack Adams
Dickie Boon
Dubbie Kerr

Players unique to this list
none

Round 2 Voting Record
Vote 1Vote 2Vote 3Vote 4Vote 5Vote 6Vote 7Vote 8Vote 9Vote 10Vote 11Vote 12Vote 13Vote 14
NighborMaloneH. StuartMcGeeH. CameronHayW. YoungJ. CampbellHallPatonPatonPatonPatonHern
TaylorPhillipsMcGeeH. CameronFoystonSimpsonHallHallMacDougallDarraghA. CameronHernHernDarragh
LalondeGerardH. CameronFoystonHayHolmesBainWalkerDunderdaleBroadbentDarraghDarraghDarraghD. Kerr
S. CleghornH. StuartFredricksonMacKayPulfordLesueurSimpsonMoranNobleWalshBroadbentD. KerrD. KerrShir. Davidson
BowieBenedictG. BoucherHaySimpsonTom.SmithTom. SmithTom. SmithDarraghDuncanRouthSwiftShir. DavidsonJ. Adams
VezinaFredricksonLehmanKeatsHolmesRossWalkerMacDougallBroadbentRouthJ. MarshallB. RussellB.RussellB. Russell
MaloneG. BoucherCy DennenyHolmesLesueurWalkerA. SmithMorrisRouthJ. MarshallO. CleghornTriheyTriheyHa. Smith
BenedictLehmanFoystonGrantRossPitreMoranDunderdaleWalshGo. RobertsE. RussellO. CleghornO. CleghornHutton
H. StuartCy DennenyMacKayM. JohnsonDyeHallDunderdaleNobleJ. MarshallO. CleghornTriheyRoweJ. AdamsO. Cleghorn
GerardMacKayHolmesDyeWalkerNobleNobleH. GardinerE. RussellE. RussellSwiftJ. AdamsRoweOatman

Reactions: jigglysquishy

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like this list. Didn't stick as much to consensus and reflects where the discussion ended up.

Taylor is 1 is defendable. I know you changed your vote in round 2, but I do think the gap between Nighbor and Taylor is small enough that it shouldn't be unanimous.

I really like Bowie at 4 and is where I would have him today.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I like this list. Didn't stick as much to consensus and reflects where the discussion ended up.

Taylor is 1 is defendable. I know you changed your vote in round 2, but I do think the gap between Nighbor and Taylor is small enough that it shouldn't be unanimous.

I really like Bowie at 4 and is where I would have him today.

Thanks! I ranked pre-1900s players very aggressively based on @rmartin65's research in the preliminary thread; especially Jack Campbell, Allan Cameron and Weldy Young (which I'm amazed anyone had higher than me, but @seventieslord beat me to it!)

Taylor at #1, I was receptive to @overpass' arguments, which echoed a sentiment I've held for a while that Taylor's star power exceeded Nighbor's. I changed my mind in Round 2 but I agree with you that the gap between them isn't as large as the consensus would suggest.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm surprised I wasn't the highest on Harry Cameron.

As for Lester Patrick, Duke Keats, Didier Pitre and Punch Broadbent, I've got nothing against them, they just fell victim to my aggressive rankings of pre-1900s players. Feels like a pretty random group for me to have at lowest, and it doesn't reflect on my opinion of them.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The player I gained the most respect for during the project, beyond the more obscure players, is Tommy Phillips. I discovered him in a new light during the Round 2 discussions. I would rank him 8th-9th on my list today.

Another is Frank McGee.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The player I gained the most respect for during the project, beyond the more obscure players, is Tommy Phillips. I discovered him in a new light during the Round 2 discussions. I would rank him 8th-9th on my list today.
Phillips is such an incredibly frustrating player to me. The divide between the stats we have and the way his contemporaries spoke about him is probably the largest we see on this list. He was one of the guys being talked about as not just the best player in the world, but the best player of all time.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Phillips is such an incredibly frustrating player to me. The divide between the stats we have and the way his contemporaries spoke about him is probably the largest we see on this list. He was one of the guys being talked about as not just the best player in the world, but the best player of all time.

I hear you. That's the beauty of pre-merger hockey research. Nothing makes sense.

I've long suspected the actual sport was more akin to figure skating and they just kept a score on the side for the heck of it. The real game was to impress the crowd and the reporters so the former would brawl until the cops arrive and the latter would write about your play with magnificent prose.

Phillips strike me as a player whose clutchness hit the collective imagination moreso than the rest.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
One thing I liked about this project was how @BenchBrawl came in with Taylor over Nighbor, and @ResilientBeast came in with the opposite (which is the opposite of what one would think they'd say), almost like they were playing Devil's advocate or showing they could have an open mind and rank their favorite player somewhere other than first. But then in round 2 they both quit the charade.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
One thing I liked about this project was how @BenchBrawl came in with Taylor over Nighbor, and @ResilientBeast came in with the opposite (which is the opposite of what one would think they'd say), almost like they were playing Devil's advocate or showing they could have an open mind and rank their favorite player somewhere other than first. But then in round 2 they both quit the charade.

Haha yeah, truth is I was willing to go with Taylor all the way but Round 2 discussions didn't turn out in his favor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad