HOH Top 70 Players of All Time (2009)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Hey guys. I've found a couple of good quotes about Newsy Lalonde playing well defensively during important Stanley Cup games. I figure this should factor into where you guys vote him in for the next list:

March 22nd, 1919 vs. Seattle

I think the fact that Lalonde made an effort to play at any position speaks to him as not just a goal scorer, but a guy who will do whatever it takes to win.

March 30th, 1919 vs. Seattle

I'd say this proves that Lalonde was definitely at least capable of playing well defensively, and in a pinch, he would do it. I think that should count for something.

Globe and Mail, January 8th, 1917

This was during a game against the Wanderers, I think just a regular season game. This line was noted after they said another important player on the team was knocked out, so I'm not exactly sure what it means - I'd like to think it has more to do with just offense, though.

Globe and Mail, January 8th, 1919, league game vs. Arenas

Not bad. But defense is definitely not part of Lalonde's reputation. And you saw that LF was able to find even more than you did about Babe Dye, even though Dye's reputation overall was as a poor backchecker.

The bit that you dug up is interesting and much appreciated, but I think that if I did the same for Didier Pitre, Cyclone Taylor, Joe Malone, or Frank Foyston, I could come up with the same volume of material, leaving them all looking about average and relatively equal. Now guys like Nighbor and Walker... they stood out.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Thank You

Hey guys. I've found a couple of good quotes about Newsy Lalonde playing well defensively during important Stanley Cup games. I figure this should factor into where you guys vote him in for the next list:

March 22nd, 1919 vs. Seattle

I think the fact that Lalonde made an effort to play at any position speaks to him as not just a goal scorer, but a guy who will do whatever it takes to win.

March 30th, 1919 vs. Seattle

I'd say this proves that Lalonde was definitely at least capable of playing well defensively, and in a pinch, he would do it. I think that should count for something.

Globe and Mail, January 8th, 1917

This was during a game against the Wanderers, I think just a regular season game. This line was noted after they said another important player on the team was knocked out, so I'm not exactly sure what it means - I'd like to think it has more to do with just offense, though.

Globe and Mail, January 8th, 1919, league game vs. Arenas

Thank you for the contribution. Each effort is appreciated at this end of the keyboard.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
It's a shame that more information isn't known about the pre-1905 players. Guys like Dan Bain, Mike Grant, Tom Paton, Russell Bowie, & Lorne Campbell gets lost in time.

Derick*

What does it take to get in on the next one? I'd like to see if I can get the credentials to participate.

Derick*

And where can you see individual participants lists? I'd like to see yours.

Derick*

Will this one ever be completed?! :scared: It's been a year and a half since the first 70 were released.

You were in past ones, right? Can I see yours from the one before this?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Will this one ever be completed?! :scared: It's been a year and a half since the first 70 were released.

look for the HOH 2009 list. In the main post all of our lists are linked to.

alternatively, search for a thread with my name in the title. there is probably only one, unless there are people talking about me behind my back (I'm looking at you, haakon84)

zombieyouth

Sep 23, 2009
If you guys would be polite enough to humor me but how is Bobby Clarke this high on the list? Admittedly he was before my time but from the games I've watched of him unless injuring the other teams best player is a recognizable skill I'm not seeing it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If you guys would be polite enough to humor me but how is Bobby Clarke this high on the list? Admittedly he was before my time but from the games I've watched of him unless injuring the other teams best player is a recognizable skill I'm not seeing it.

There was a thread on this not too long ago:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=826243

The super short version:
-3 Hart Trophies
-The best playmaker in the league and the best defensive player in the league at the same time.

zombieyouth

Sep 23, 2009

The super short version:
-3 Hart Trophies
-The best playmaker in the league and the best defensive player in the league at the same time.

thank you

He has very impressive credentials and after playing the sport for many years I realize it's not a dance but his goonish behavior on the ice really sours him as a player to me. I have a hard time calling a guy that would intentionally try to hurt/ruin another players career because he was more talented a great player.

Last edited:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Senior year biochem major so probably not. Especially since my laptop is fried and I've been trying to recover the data for a few months. Good news is mid-December I'm wide open and next semester is very light so hopefully and I fix the laptop, recover the data, and knock the last bit out.

Then my focus is square on finding a job :/

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

:cry:
Must be some kind of conspiracy. Yep, never did anything but injure the other teams' best players.

*feeding the troll*

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

The super short version:
-3 Hart Trophies

Better than Orr?

Also in the "real" (ie. were all voters actually knew what they were doing) world Clarke would maybe get one of those Harts, it's very debatable that he was the Hart guy for those 3 years.

Clarke is a top 100 guy but those 3 Harts mask the truth that there were much better players than him that are lower on the list IMO.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I wonder why, then, Clarke was so loved by the voters and coaches (those coaches' polls, for example)? I thought that the Bullies were a fairly hated team then & even now, and Clarke was their vicious leader. I just wish people would make better arguments against him rather than the usual "he was a dirty SOB" (oh really?) or "he didn't have skills" (sure, sure). I don't even buy the "he was mediocre in the playoffs/international games" argument - based on what I've seen. And heck, let's say he didn't deserve 1-2 of those Harts (the only true suspect IMO is the 1975 one); how much lower that would/should drop him - considering that he was still probably the 2nd best player in the league after Orr (1973, 1975).

Being maybe the most versatile top forward (certainly ONE of them) of all time should get you pretty high on the list.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Better vs Valuable.

Better than Orr?

Also in the "real" (ie. were all voters actually knew what they were doing) world Clarke would maybe get one of those Harts, it's very debatable that he was the Hart guy for those 3 years.

Clarke is a top 100 guy but those 3 Harts mask the truth that there were much better players than him that are lower on the list IMO.

Better and most valuable are mutually exclusive concepts.

zombieyouth

Sep 23, 2009
:cry:
Must be some kind of conspiracy. Yep, never did anything but injure the other teams' best players.

*feeding the troll*

used his stick to break the ankle of the other teams best player. as a canadian the 1972 summit series has gone from a feeling of pride as a child to shame as a young adult. i can only speak for myself and friends but clarke is viewed as a goon and a disgrace.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
used his stick to break the ankle of the other teams best player. as a canadian the 1972 summit series has gone from a feeling of pride as a child to shame as a young adult. i can only speak for myself and friends but clarke is viewed as a goon and a disgrace.

Maybe he is, but that and being a great player are mutually exclusive.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

You still haven't really offered anything that shows Clarke shouldn't be so high on the list - unless it is decided that dirtiness should be considered a huge minus for a player.

BTW, the Soviets weren't always so nice towards opponents' best players either (I'm thinking of those games vs. Czechoslovakia that turned bloody); maybe they learned it from Clarke?

HockeyTalkey

Dec 22, 2010

That play by Clarke in 72 was just a small example of how far guys were willing to go to win. With the pressure of a whole country on them, a warrior like Clarke would do whatever it took to prevail.........There is no shame in that and it's the reason why he is higher on the list than some think is justified

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
That play by Clarke in 72 was just a small example of how far guys were willing to go to win. With the pressure of a whole country on them, a warrior like Clarke would do whatever it took to prevail.........There is no shame in that and it's the reason why he is higher on the list than some think is justified

There are many things to be proud of in Canadian hockey and Bobby Clarke's career but his slash in the 72 series is definitely not one of them.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010

Then Suter, Marchement and Samuelsson should be in the top 50.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

That is just a silly claim. Give the posters on HOH - and Clarke - a little more credit than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad