HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 2

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I'm curious where you sit on the 1910-1925 cohort. I've been open that all the reading I've done has solidified Vezina at 1. I'm starting to lean towards Lehman at 2.

The Vezina praise in his career is really really high.
It's just outside of my research interests (hockey stops for me at 1909- I am the inverse @Michael Farkas ), so I am cautious about speaking too confidently on the matter.

But I have Vezina a pretty solid #1. I used to have Benedict next, but the pre-consolidation project and @ResilientBeast 's arguments have me also leaning towards Lehman. Then I think we have to look at Gardiner, Holmes, and Hainsworth. To clarify how I interpreted your question- I am talking about those who played the bulk of the 1910-1925 timeframe. I'm not talking about guys who played at a high level at either fringe of this timeframe (Riley Hern being an example of someone at one temporal end, Alec Connell at the other).

And, of course, I'd be remiss not to mention that guys like LeSueur and Moran also played a significant chunk of the 1910-1925 time frame. If we give the O6 goalies credits for defending their nets for so long, I don't see why we shouldn't for the early era guys as well, as both of them kept their spots for over a decade, despite talent gradually becoming more and more consolidated.

But to tie it back to players eligible this round- Vezina is high on my list this round. Benedict is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad