HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 2

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The previous goaltender rankings done here 12 years ago were really bad (god-awful, in fact). I was expecting some improvement this time (especially because at least a couple participants seem to be doing some good things), but it doesn't look promising.

6 of the goalies from this round are from before 1950, when some of the talent pools were tiny compared to recent decades. There's no chance that these are decent rankings.

Can somebody explain why so many of these early era goalies are being ranked so high?

I'm not saying this is how it should or should not be but simply making an observation.

It seems that the smaller the League, the more individual goaltenders stand out - at least in terms of reputation. There are many legendary goaltenders from the O6 days and before even though there weren't that many goalies overall in the NHL. Now take the present-day NHL. There are more teams and goalies than ever. How many active goalies are truly considered legendary or icons? Maybe a handful?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
"There's no chance that these are decent rankings" is a non-starter for multiple obvious reasons.

Why the heck would anyone choose to engage you when you open with this crap?
That's exactly the point. When you start off the "conversation" like that, it tells me that it's not in good faith. We're really working to try to get a good set of rankings.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I'm not saying this is how it should or should not be but simply making an observation.

It seems that the smaller the League, the more individual goaltenders stand out - at least in terms of reputation. There are many legendary goaltenders from the O6 days and before even though there weren't that many goalies overall in the NHL. Now take the present-day NHL. There are more teams and goalies than ever. How many active goalies are truly considered legendary or icons? Maybe a handful?
Right, and not just a smaller league, but a smaller talent pool (often much, much smaller)....so that a lower-quality goalie in a smaller pool is a bigger star than a higher-quality goalie in a bigger pool. That's the issue.

So, then, are you ranking them by who is the bigger star, or who is the better goalie?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I'm ranking them by how much they stood out from their peers, with bonus points given if they made innovations to the position, something there was a lot more room for pre-1950.

I hate the idea of holding the talent pool against the older players. If you want to fault the owners for keeping things a north-eastern North American gentleman's club for several decades too long, go ahead.

To look at another sport, one than is truly global, do fans/historians take notches off the early English or Uruguayan World Cup squads because there were only x-number of registered players in North America or South-east Asia (regions that now have exponentially more registered players than in the past)? Of course not. If you played against the best in the world at that specific moment, then that's all we can ask of a historical player.

This is doubly true when we are talking about a position like goaltender, where there were often demonstrably more NHL-quality goalies than spots available in the pre-expansion era.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

snuffelapagus

Feb 27, 2002
socal
snuffypuck.com
Every time.

I put stock in face-to-face meetings. One of the reasons Hasek is squarely over Roy.
That's not exactly how I remember it:

Summit 72 Game 1: Tretiak unquestionably outplays Dryden
Summit 72 Game 4: Tretiak again unquestionably
Summit 72 Game 6: Dryden over Tretiak
Summit 72 Game 8 Dryden over Tretiak
1975 NYE: Tretiak outshines Dryden by a considerable margin
1979 Challenge Cup: Dryden over Tretiak
1979 Challenge Cup: Tretiak over Dryden

That's hardly every time. The games Tretiak outplayed Dryden are those that most remember. The ones Dryden's team won were generally more memorable for other moments besides Dryden's performance such as Henderson heroics Summit games 6 and 8. I still see those matches as Dryden outplaying Vladislav though. Tretiak also lost many important games where his team was heavily favored. Dryden simply did not.

Dryden is getting beaten up on these boards because he played on a historically great team which enjoyed unparalleled success. He is not given enough credit for those successes. because his teams were expected to easily handle all comers. Many are now suggesting his teams won in spite of him.

Like many my age Dryden was an early hero. I'm not going to pretend his career did not leave us with many questions. I understand Roy, Brodeur and their contemporaries' careers are the nostalgic darlings of most of this board's demographic. In fact, I'll go along and state Hasek is unquestionably the best I have seen with my own eyes dating back to 1971. Based on what I saw, I will also say that I suspect Plante may be right up there with Hasek. I can't speak to Sawchuk, Hall or those having played prior to Dryden. With all due respect to the stats crunchers here, my eyes tell me unspectacular Dryden's career is in the mix after Hasek for anyone having played since Kenny began his career. While it's clearly an unpopular stance on this board in 2024, Dryden's fall from grace in the goaltending pantheon is unwarranted to this observer.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad