HOH Top 60 Goaltenders of All Time (2024 Edition) - Round 2, Vote 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Procedure
  • In this vote, you will be presented with 8 players based on their ranking in the Round 1 aggregate list
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • You will submit eight names in a ranked order, #1 through #8, without ties via PM to both @Dr John Carlson and @Professor What
  • Use the same private message thread every week rather than starting a new PM
  • Results of this vote will be posted after each voting cycle, but the individual ballots themselves will remain secret until the completion of this project
  • The top 5 players will be added to the final list (unless a very large break exists at the spot between 4&5 or 5&6)
  • Lists of players eligible for voting will grow as the project continues
  • Voting threads will continue until we have added 60 names to the list, for a total of 12 voting threads

Eligible Voters

Guidelines
  • Respect each other. No horseplay or sophistry!
  • Please refrain from excessive use of the 'laughing' reaction to indicate disagreement
  • Stay on topic and don't get caught up in talking about non-eligible players
  • Participate, but retain an open mind throughout the discussion
  • Do not speculate who cast any particular ballot. Do not make judgments about the mindset of whoever cast that particular ballot. All individual ballots will be revealed at the end of the project
  • Anybody may participate in the discussion, whether they submitted a list or not

House Rules
  • Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey will be met with frontier justice
  • Take a drink when someone mentions the number of hockey registrations in a given era
  • Finish your drink when someone mentions that wins are a team stat

The actual voting period will open up on Friday, October 4th at midnight and continue through Sunday, October 6th at 11:59 PM Eastern time. I will release the results of the vote the morning of Monday, October 7th, at which point the next voting thread will begin.

Vote 1 Candidates
  • Martin Brodeur
  • Ken Dryden
  • Glenn Hall
  • Dominik Hasek
  • Jacques Plante
  • Patrick Roy
  • Terry Sawchuk
  • Vladislav Tretiak

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So I decided a few years ago I slot Patrick Roy above Dominik Hasek for #1.

I'm of the opinion that - you can argue that at his very best, Hasek may have been the best at "stopping the pucks". In fact, he probably has the better regular season between the 2, possibly a few of them, and possibly the best seasons ever by a goalie. But Patrick Roy's playoffs are tremendous. 3 conn smythes - huge impact in 1996 too - most wins/games ever by a goalie in the playoffs by a huge amount.

I'm open to considering Hasek for #1, but I think in the end his NHL career was simply too short, and his NHL playoffs are good, but not great. Is Hasek even top 5 all-time for NHL playoffs as a goalie? How about simply top 10?

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Here we go gang. For some reason I thought this was going to be the 70-80 ranked goalies first. Wasn't prepped to be going in on the big boys from the start. This is probably the vote where we'll see the least change from past projects, still curious to see everyone's methodology here.

Everytime I come back to this tier, I want to include Brodeur closer to the top, it just feels weird to have so many of the 90s guys at the absolute top. My top two are Hasek and Roy, but on certain days... Marty is right there.

I really like Glenn Hall, but other than the 90s guys, Dryden is by far the goalie here I am most familiar with (in terms of footage, quotes, mindset etc).

Side note that you can ignore: I'm probably one of the only folks in this cafe in Zaragoza, Es on my phone on a message board talking about all time ice-hockey goalie rankings, unless that's you across the way drinking a ratafia with the pith helmet, Farkas?

Thanks for the great work so far DJC.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Here we go gang. For some reason I thought this was going to be the 70-80 ranked goalies first. Wasn't prepped to be going in on the big boys from the start. This is probably the vote where we'll see the least change from past projects, still curious to see everyone's methodology here.

Everytime I come back to this tier, I want to include Brodeur closer to the top, it just feels weird to have so many of the 90s guys at the absolute top. My top two are Hasek and Roy, but on certain days... Marty is right there.

I really like Glenn Hall, but other than the 90s guys, Dryden is by far the goalie here I am most familiar with (in terms of footage, quotes, mindset etc).

Side note that you can ignore: I'm probably one of the only folks in this cafe in Zaragoza, Es on my phone on a message board talking about all time ice-hockey goalie rankings, unless that's you across the way drinking a ratafia with the pith helmet, Farkas?

Thanks for the great work so far DJC.

That whole time the preliminary thread was up, I wanted to make a post/argument as to why Martin Brodeur should be considered for #1. And I thought about it this morning too after this new thread was up.

My problem is - I can't seem to find a rational way to slot him above both Hasek and Roy that makes sense and is logical.

But I think a goalie's job more than anything is to be reliable enough to give your a chance a team to win. A game, a season, in the playoffs...and Martin Brodeur was a reliable #1 goalie for longer than anyone in history. I think that has tremendous value.

I'd be very open to hearing someone's argumennt as to having him leapfrog either/or of Hasek or Roy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad