Proposal: Hoffman (+?) for Kane + Girgensons

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Well. the reason they would consider trading him is because he's an RFA and they don't want to pay him calm down. Go take your anger out in some Leafs thread you love to derail. Melnyk is notoriously cheap when it comes to Ottawa. Sometimes I think you hate the Leafs more than you like the Sens, which sounds like a terrible existence for a sports fan.

Just look at what Ottawa spends yearly, they are getting out spent by the Panthers next year.

Getting argued on all fronts...come'on man

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Getting argued on all fronts...come'on man
By one person who doesn't think Kane has diminsihing value and a bad reputation league wide. And another who is ignoring how cheap his own team is. I think I can live with those arguments.

Enjoy Kane, I don't really care what his teammates think of him in Buffalo, but I doubt many gm's are going out to acquire a low iq puck hog with personality issues.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I agree - he definitely has character issues and needs to clean up his act but his antics don't make the team lose and he can definitely score and be physical. If we hadn't already burned bridges I would love to see him back on my team.

Did his antics help them win? They very well might help them lose. Attitude and chemistry are a real thing.

I'd rather have you on the Jets than Evander Kane, and I don't know if you even own a pair of skates.

I don't think I've ever heard of a Jets fan open to the possibility of a return.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Kane needs to go to a team which has some great character players who will put him in his place.

Ottawa is not that team.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Kane needs to go to a team which has some great character players who will put him in his place.

Ottawa is not that team.

I'd say Buffalo already has some great character players.. Gorges, Legwand, Moulson, Gionta etc.. If they can't sort him out IDK who can. This is on the player

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Kane for something around Staal/Girardi maybe.

Kane is 1) a better player than those 2 combined; and 2) not on an albatross contract. I wouldn't trade gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe for Staal/Girardi on their current contracts.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Until kane is actually convincted of anything the ridiculous undervaluation is going to be the most annoying aspect of hfboards...and that's hard to do.

Will you still feel the same way once he no longer is a Sabre?

As for OP's proposal: hell no to Kane in any context whatsoever. Now that Cowen and Greening are gone, we have no one we need to get rid of badly enough to entice us to take a flyer on Evander's 3rd team being the charm.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
No reason for Ottawa to add here, (arguably even if Kane didn't have his personal problems)

I think the rationale is IF, and only if, Hoffman gets a 1 year deal in arbitration we should look to trade him asap (imo). Any + would be to get Buffalo to either retain some salary to make the money work evenly, or for us to add some contract we dont want.

Character issues aside, I think the value is fine...we get a young top6 powerforward LW to replace Hoffman in some way and a potentially elite 3rd liner who is also young and gritty.

However, character issues cannot be put aside.. which is why I wanted to see where this discussion went.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Until kane is actually convincted of anything the ridiculous undervaluation is going to be the most annoying aspect of hfboards...and that's hard to do. When this kid comes out and throws up 20+ goals, like 5 fights and a boat load of hits and the sabres team keep on rolling with their "cancer" of a player no one in the realm of buffalo is gonna care about the allegations.

Kunitz for Kane lol really?

And then another allegation pops up.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I wouldn't trade a conditional 7th for E.Kane... nevermind actually giving up a player like Hoffman.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Until kane is actually convincted of anything the ridiculous undervaluation is going to be the most annoying aspect of hfboards...and that's hard to do. When this kid comes out and throws up 20+ goals, like 5 fights and a boat load of hits and the sabres team keep on rolling with their "cancer" of a player no one in the realm of buffalo is gonna care about the allegations.

He's an always injured, 35-40 point/year player, with a cap hit of 5.25M. Even without all the off ice issues, he's simply not very valuable. Add the off ice stuff and he has zero or even negative value.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Last 2 seasons combined:
E.Kane: 57 points (30 goals)
Yakupov: 56 points (22 goals)

Yes, I realize Kane played less games, but he's often injured so it's not like those are fluke seasons. Injuries and Kane go hand-n-hand.

The reason I use Yakupov is because people also think he isn't worth what he gets, and Kane makes more than twice as much $$$, yet put up somewhat similar numbers, all while being a distraction. Kane is the better player because yes.. he puts up those similar numbers in less games, but the salary and off-ice issues kind of even all that out, don't they? Or at least until Kane can put up 30/30.. which I simply don't believe he will do.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
He's an always injured, 35-40 point/year player, with a cap hit of 5.25M. Even without all the off ice issues, he's simply not very valuable. Add the off ice stuff and he has zero or even negative value.

He's a soon to be 25 year old 30 goal scorer, penalty killer and checking power forward making market value for (a low risk) two more years. You can spin it both ways.

The stuff that happened in Winnipeg was superficial and not even worth bringing up. I don't doubt that his race played a role in the disgruntled teammates and fans. What he did was tame by NFL and NBA standards and only an issue in the NHL.

As for his time in Buffalo, my biggest issue with him was missing practice to attend the NBA all-star game. Do what you want on your own time as long as you show up with everyone else. He was suspended and no ill effects in the locker room were visible.

His legal issues are NON criminal charges that will likely be dismissed. O'Reilly hit a building while likely driving intoxicated and fled the scene. O'Reilly will likely be the Sabres next captain. No one is questioning his character when he was much more likely to have killed someone with his actions.

Back to the ice, Kane does have his flaws. He is a shoot first, straight line skater. But I saw big improvements in his team game towards the end of last season. I think he's a good fit with O'Reilly and will be a good contributor for the Buffalo Sabres next season.

The problem people have with his off ice actions are unfair and unfortunately, very likely race related. I understand Pat Kane is a bigger star, but the allegations against were also much greater. There is no way he should have negative value. If you don't want him on your team fine, but don't be ignorant to think the Sabres are going to give up more to dump his contract.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He's a soon to be 25 year old 30 goal scorer, penalty killer and checking power forward making market value for (a low risk) two more years. You can spin it both ways.

The stuff that happened in Winnipeg was superficial and not even worth bringing up. I don't doubt that his race played a role in the disgruntled teammates and fans. What he did was tame by NFL and NBA standards and only an issue in the NHL.

As for his time in Buffalo, my biggest issue with him was missing practice to attend the NBA all-star game. Do what you want on your own time as long as you show up with everyone else. He was suspended and no ill effects in the locker room were visible.

His legal issues are NON criminal charges that will likely be dismissed. O'Reilly hit a building while likely driving intoxicated and fled the scene. O'Reilly will likely be the Sabres next captain. No one is questioning his character when he was much more likely to have killed someone with his actions.

Back to the ice, Kane does have his flaws. He is a shoot first, straight line skater. But I saw big improvements in his team game towards the end of last season. I think he's a good fit with O'Reilly and will be a good contributor for the Buffalo Sabres next season.

The problem people have with his off ice actions are unfair and unfortunately, very likely race related. I understand Pat Kane is a bigger star, but the allegations against were also much greater. There is no way he should have negative value. If you don't want him on your team fine, but don't be ignorant to think the Sabres are going to give up more to dump his contract.

He scored 30 goals one time 5 years ago and hasn't even broke 20 goals since. He's a 30 goal scorer like Cheechoo is a 50 goal scorer.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The problem people have with his off ice actions are unfair and unfortunately, very likely race related.

I also think Mike Ribeiro is a massive sleazebag, does that mean I'm racist towards white people too? Oh, and Slava Voynov is kind of a POS, so that means I must be bigoted towards Russians. And Mike Commodore, there's a guy I consider to be one of the league's biggest douchecanoes, which means I must hate redheads.

It's always a race thing, right?

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
He scored 30 goals one time 5 years ago and hasn't even broke 20 goals since. He's a 30 goal scorer like Cheechoo is a 50 goal scorer.

That's a little disingenuous as he scored 20 last year. The 3 previous seasons he scored 17 in 48gms, 19 in 63gms and 10 in 43gms. I would have imagined that the laws of averages would work in his favor and he could have scored 3 more goals in 34 games or 1 more in 19 games.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Last 2 seasons combined:
E.Kane: 57 points (30 goals)
Yakupov: 56 points (22 goals)

Yes, I realize Kane played less games, but he's often injured so it's not like those are fluke seasons. Injuries and Kane go hand-n-hand.

The reason I use Yakupov is because people also think he isn't worth what he gets, and Kane makes more than twice as much $$$, yet put up somewhat similar numbers, all while being a distraction. Kane is the better player because yes.. he puts up those similar numbers in less games, but the salary and off-ice issues kind of even all that out, don't they? Or at least until Kane can put up 30/30.. which I simply don't believe he will do.

Kane is better because he's very physical, a great forecheker, and has half a clue what he should be doing when the puck isn't on his stick; Yakupov has none of those things going for him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

That is a garbage comment. The counter to that is to suggest you examine race relations within your own country prior to suggesting it is an issue with others.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad