Hodgson Evaluation

KennyFnPowers*

It can take a center longer to develop their defensive game. They are much more active in the defensive zone compared to wingers who just cover the points.

Cody should become a very good number two. He's smart with the puck, and he has a nasty slapper. I can see him peaking at 70 points at some point in his career. That's if he gets a solid supporting cast, and a top-5 power play.

One thing I'll always give him credit for, he consistently produces. He's not getting 10 points in 6 games and then 5 in 20. He's consistently putting up points at a steady pace.

and that's literally the best you can hope/look for on a team like this... Consistency. He's already doing that, and going to be even more someday soon.

Useless unless he is scoring, nearly detrimental when he isn't putting up points. He is similar to a shoot first point guard, chucking the puck and trying to drive thru the entire team. He floats around waiting for a pass or waves his stick at the puck like a sweeper in curling. I don't expect him to hit anyone, thats fine, don't need every player on the roster playing meathead hockey, but he doesn't seem fast enough to block a lane or position himself in a way to disrupt the opposition.

how you can compare an NHL player to an NBA player is mind-boggling... oouf. :facepalm:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He's consistently producing despite the fact that there's no protection over him anymore. He's drawing top defesnive assignments and still producing. I think people losing sight of how impressive that is. Think of the productive problems some members of our team had after our top liners left before? Normally it's something young players mightly struggle with, suddenly drawing top assignments. He's really done quite well in the 1st line center role. though I agree, he's not really the "Franchise center" you want in that position.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
It can take a center longer to develop their defensive game. They are much more active in the defensive zone compared to wingers who just cover the points.

Cody should become a very good number two. He's smart with the puck, and he has a nasty slapper. I can see him peaking at 70 points at some point in his career. That's if he gets a solid supporting cast, and a top-5 power play.

One thing I'll always give him credit for, he consistently produces. He's not getting 10 points in 6 games and then 5 in 20. He's consistently putting up points at a steady pace.

I'd go for much of this ^^

Someone else mentioned his one move being the toe drag and that's just not accurate - one of the more notable things about the kid offensively is that he's creative and switches things up. He'll as readily look to make a play with sweet tape-on-tape passes, as he will take a slap or go in patiently to deak defenders, slipping the puck behind the goalie or flipping it casually top shelf.

I'd add that he's not only a consistent offense producer, the kid also finds ways to produce with anyone. Having a Vanek on wing makes it easier of course (that's the same with any quality player though - give him quality linemates and production flows more freely), but since Hodgson's Canuck days playing so-called "sheltered" (as if he was somehow treated any differently than the Sedins or Kesler or others back in their own rookie days, lol) on the 3rd, Hodgson kept on steadily plugging away offensively.

The last night was another example of this - prior to last game, Ott didn't have a multiple point game all season and Dags had just 1 point on the season, then last night with Hodgson, the line combined for 6 points, including Ott's first multi point game and 2 of Dag's total 3 points on the season.

All in, since his Canuck days, Hodgson has shown he's a consistent and create player offensively.

Defensively his game has improved remarkably, including face-offs, as the season has progressed, and to be fair his defensive numbers (like the -9) hardly stand out on this particular team (that has only 2 players with a positive +/-, and five players in the double digit negative). Biggest thing I'd like to see is his continued work at not merely watching the play when it's in the defensive zone. He's gotta stay focused on that.

So yeah, a top notch 2nd line center who can occasionally fill in as a 1C depending on injuries, game situations, etc.... That's where I'd see him slotting as the Sabres get more of their youth NHL ready.

Off-ice - he appears to have found a "home" in Buffalo, he's in the community supporting the team, appears to have good rapport with his teammates, talks and interacts on the bench after a play, etc... I dunno about a future captain (kinda depends on who else develops and how long any one player stays with the team), but as he matures/ages it wouldn't be surprising to see him among the leadership crew.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Shoot-first PG's make up most of the NBA and do help their team whether they're scoring or not, because of the drive-and-kick and the pick-and-roll. It's a bad analogy anyhow, what you're trying to compare him to is more of a wing chucker like Nick Young, Jordan Crawford, or Kobe Bryant at the high end.

Hodgson helps the team whether he's scoring or not simply because he generates offense in tough situations. Give him supbar linemates and tough defenders and he still generates. This is hockey, every player has many nights where they don't produce. You can't judge a player based solely on whether or not his work happens to result in a goal.

What you can fault him for, obviously, is his subpar defensive play. No arguments there. Hopefully it continues to improve, but either way we all know Cody is a #2 center type being stretched very thin on this team. Even when he had Vanek and Pominville as linemates he wasn't receiving the benefit of extra-line protection once Roy was traded.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
What you can fault him for, obviously, is his subpar defensive play. No arguments there. Hopefully it continues to improve, but either way we all know Cody is a #2 center type being stretched very thin on this team. Even when he had Vanek and Pominville as linemates he wasn't receiving the benefit of extra-line protection once Roy was traded.

I'm not clear on this? That is, I don't get how Hodgson received much of any protection while he and Roy were both on the Sabres.

I thought Roy was traded summer of 2012, which would mean Hodgson only had 20 games (after his 2011/2012 trade deadline move to the Sabres roster) to get acclimatized to his new home, role, etc. before the season ended and Roy was traded.

And for at least some of those games (according to the play-by-play) Hodgson was playing ES with the likes of Tropp/Vanek, while it was Roy who was actually with Pomminville/Leino...

So I'm not seeing how Roy somehow faced the hardest competition solo (ie: he had quality linemates too) while Hodgson was the beneficiary of getting "extra line protection"?

Seems to me that during those first 20 games (post trade) that Roy was still a Sabre, Hodgson was a 20-21 year old rookie who'd just been drop shipped into an entirely new environment and wasn't much "protected" at all, so what do you mean? What am I missing?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Shoot-first PG's make up most of the NBA and do help their team whether they're scoring or not, because of the drive-and-kick and the pick-and-roll. It's a bad analogy anyhow, what you're trying to compare him to is more of a wing chucker like Nick Young, Jordan Crawford, or Kobe Bryant at the high end.

I was thinking of Isiaih Thomas from Sacramento actually :D but you see my point at least.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm not clear on this? That is, I don't get how Hodgson received much of any protection while he and Roy were both on the Sabres.

I thought Roy was traded summer of 2012, which would mean Hodgson only had 20 games (after his 2011/2012 trade deadline move to the Sabres roster) to get acclimatized to his new home, role, etc. before the season ended and Roy was traded.

And for at least some of those games (according to the play-by-play) Hodgson was playing ES with the likes of Tropp/Vanek, while it was Roy who was actually with Pomminville/Leino...

So I'm not seeing how Roy somehow faced the hardest competition solo (ie: he had quality linemates too) while Hodgson was the beneficiary of getting "extra line protection"?

Seems to me that during those first 20 games (post trade) that Roy was still a Sabre, Hodgson was a 20-21 year old rookie who'd just been drop shipped into an entirely new environment and wasn't much "protected" at all, so what do you mean? What am I missing?

How is it not inherently obvious that having a second top 6 center lessens the load? If you don't think Hodgson was more protected when Roy was here than he was after then I don't know what to tell you. He's had zero top 9 NHL centers on his team since Roy was traded. I also don't get why you imply playing with Pominville/Leino is some step above playing with Vanek/Tropp, not that it was relevant to what I said. What I said was that even when he did have top linemates (last season), he didn't have the benefit of a second top 6 center on the roster.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
How is it not inherently obvious that having a second top 6 center lessens the load? If you don't think Hodgson was more protected when Roy was here than he was after then I don't know what to tell you. He's had zero top 9 NHL centers on his team since Roy was traded. I also don't get why you imply playing with Pominville/Leino is some step above playing with Vanek/Tropp, not that it was relevant to what I said. What I said was that even when he did have top linemates (last season), he didn't have the benefit of a second top 6 center on the roster.

Ah, cool! So, you figure Hodgson's load was lightened having Roy around, which would mean Roy's load was lightened having Hodgson around. Or, in other words, you figure that Hodgson and Roy both benefited by the other being on the team. Now when you put it that way ("the benefit of a second top 6 center"), your comment makes perfect sense. And here I was thinking you meant to infer that Hodgson alone got the benefit.

Incidentally, while I personally go for seeing Hodgson as a top 2C, your assessment that "we all know he's a #2 center" is inaccurate. Others clearly think he'll develop into a legit 1C.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Ah, cool! So, you figure Hodgson's load was lightened having Roy around, which would mean Roy's load was lightened having Hodgson around. Or, in other words, you figure that Hodgson and Roy both benefited by the other being on the team. Now when you put it that way ("the benefit of a second top 6 center"), your comment makes perfect sense. And here I was thinking you meant to infer that Hodgson alone got the benefit.

Incidentally, while I personally go for seeing Hodgson as a top 2C, your assessment that "we all know he's a #2 center" is inaccurate. Others clearly think he'll develop into a legit 1C.

Fair enough, but those who think he'll be a legit #1 center are a fairly small minority and seem to be wishful thinkers. I just don't see it. That's not to say he can't continue on technically being the #1 center, but he'll "objectively" be a top 6 guy. Either way, his contract is going to look great down the line so long as he makes marginal improvements.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Fair enough, but those who think he'll be a legit #1 center are a fairly small minority and seem to be wishful thinkers. I just don't see it. That's not to say he can't continue on technically being the #1 center, but he'll "objectively" be a top 6 guy. Either way, his contract is going to look great down the line so long as he makes marginal improvements.

If I could wish a thing true, I'd gladly go for a kid of Hodgson's character (as far as we know it anyway) developing into a top tier 1C. But as it stands, I'm probably more aligned with your thinking.

I dunno how familiar you are with the Canucks, but if you know Trevor Linden or Brendon Morrison, use those for comparisons perhaps? Both were technically 1Cs in their respective days, but I can see the argument for them having been 1Cs due to more factors than their own individual talents (such as who else was on the roster, how well they happened to mesh with their elite wingers, etc.), and I kinda see Hodgson as being much the same that way - a solid (possibly elite, depending if the offense consistency continues and his defensive game improves) 2C who could also be a very servicable and productive 1C depending on the circumstances.

Now Larrson though... I'd like to see more of next year, but in the top 6 mix. He seems to have a more readily developed two-way game, but that's just a hunch.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If I could wish a thing true, I'd gladly go for a kid of Hodgson's character (as far as we know it anyway) developing into a top tier 1C. But as it stands, I'm probably more aligned with your thinking.

I dunno how familiar you are with the Canucks, but if you know Trevor Linden or Brendon Morrison, use those for comparisons perhaps? Both were technically 1Cs in their respective days, but I can see the argument for them having been 1Cs due to more factors than their own individual talents (such as who else was on the roster, how well they happened to mesh with their elite wingers, etc.), and I kinda see Hodgson as being much the same that way - a solid (possibly elite, depending if the offense consistency continues and his defensive game improves) 2C who could also be a very servicable and productive 1C depending on the circumstances.

Now Larrson though... I'd like to see more of next year, but in the top 6 mix. He seems to have a more readily developed two-way game, but that's just a hunch.

Brendan Morrison makes sense in terms of overall ability. Of course, he had great linemates so it worked out with him being the best center on the team. Hopefully this is all academic, because if Buffalo isn't able to draft a better center in the next two drafts then something likely went very much awry.

Larsson I think will always ideally be a third line or 'middle 6' guy, whether at center or, especially if on the 2nd line, wing. Same with Compher. That's a good thing, because if the next two drafts go well then not only does our defense look strong long-term, so would our ability to ice 3 lines that can take on proper roles.

Back to Hodgson, I think we're fortunate to have him in that he seems comfortable being relied upon even if he's overmatched in his role. He has the confidence and character necessary. He has to do his part to work on his defensive game, but the organization needs to do their part and put some other decent offensive players around him in the top 6.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Cody is the new Derek Roy. Will be a great 2nd line center and a poor #1 center.

I first joined these boards because everyone else had a Roy agenda... where I thought he was the best overall player on the team at the time. If Roy back then wasn't a #1 center nearly being a PPG player then everyones expectations are way too high.

So you will have to forgive me when I say I don't understand that comparison. Roy was good defensively and used on the PK, Hodgson isn't. Roy was a good skater, Hodgson isn't (though he has improved). Roy was a good playmaker, Hodgson is more of a sniper. Roy could actually win faceoffs, Hodgson cant.

With all that being said, I think Hodgson can and HAS worked on all his problem areas, so I can see him being a top line center eventually. Is he Crosby? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad