News Article: Hockey year book has us winning a Stanley Cup...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
When this stuff starts happening it usually doesn't end well.

Or at least as well as it really should.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't understand when people think we can't.

We added something that this team has been missing since Heatley left and Alfredsson aged:

Bonafide elilte winger, we have ERIK KARLSSON, Spezza too. Amazing depth and great 2nd line center.

If things click we could be dominant.

I'm mostly afraid of the defense after our first pairing.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't understand when people think we can't.

We added something that this team has been missing since Heatley left and Alfredsson aged:

Bonafide elilte winger, we have ERIK KARLSSON, Spezza too. Amazing depth and great 2nd line center.

If things click we could be dominant.

I'm mostly afraid of the defense after our first pairing.

I think we have some great pieces, but I don't think we have enough yet.

Maybe in 1-2 years, when Zibanejad, Turris, Wiercioch, Cowen, etc. are a bit more developed. In that case I think we can challenge.

Of course, they could all get their **** together this upcoming year, but I'm not so sure.

I also think that it will end up being Lehner leading us there (if anyone).

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah Bleacher report keeps going on about us all the time and they said don't be surprised if we win it this year.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Just like when we were predicted out of the playoffs, take as a good read.

Exactly.

We were obviously missing key pieces for large chunks of time last year, but it's hard to say what effect that had on the team. We ended up winning a lot of games we were outplayed in, and the puck might not bounce in our favour as often. Maybe with a healthy Spezza and EK others don't compete as hard. So many variables at play over the course of a season plus playoffs.

But with Stache at the helm we have a really strong trump card.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Remember when Ottawa was picked to win the Stanley Cup every year from 2003 to 2006??

Why can't everyone underrate this team and predict them to lose round 1...

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Remember when Ottawa was picked to win the Stanley Cup every year from 2003 to 2006??

Why can't everyone underrate this team and predict them to lose round 1...

It's cyclic. When you go through the doldrums people pick you 9th or 11th then when you rise people see you as a contender. Quite frankly I welcome the increased expectations. Let's see what these kids will do with a bull's eye on their backs and expectations of success.

If they stumble or regress that might speak to either a lack of veteran, winning experience. Either way my own expectations are for a wild card spot, maybe a playoff round.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I think the goal has to be to improve a little bit every year. If we can make it to the second round again and actually be competitive this time around I'd consider that successful.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Damn publications are jinxing us!

A JINX THREAD TO TALK ABOUT JINX ARTICLES?!? It's the dreaded DOUBLE-JINX!!!

DAMN YOU, SPORTS FORECASTER!!!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
There are elements on this team that you often (not always, certainly. but often) see on a Stanley Cup winner.

- elite goaltending
- elite dman
- #1 Centre

I worry about our scoring depth, but if guys have big years or if our younger players step up I don't see why we wouldn't have a shot at it.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'm glad my opinions are finally starting to be confirmed.

Ottawa is going to dominate this season. I can't even explain to you guys how sick this team is going to be...

wprager

Sep 15, 2007
Has anyone actually gotten a copy of the magazine and read the article? I can't find it online, and Gordon only includes a small paragraph. Are they really predicting or is this similar to that other site that picked 4 dark-horse candidates with the Sens topping that list?

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Has anyone actually gotten a copy of the magazine and read the article? I can't find it online, and Gordon only includes a small paragraph. Are they really predicting or is this similar to that other site that picked 4 dark-horse candidates with the Sens topping that list?

Was looking into this myself...

The Sports Forecaster Hockey Yearbook

HOW TO GET IT?

CANADA:

Available at Amazon.ca!
Available on Newsstands!

Locations that carry The Sports Forecaster in Canada include: Indigo, Chapters, Macs Convenience, Overwaitea, Save-on Foods, Pricemart Foods, Walmart, 7-Eleven, Great Canadian News, Loblaws, Sobey's, Gateway, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart, Safeway, Federated, Calgary Co-op, and other major retailers.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A tad surprised by the level of praise we're getting.

You & me both, but I don't think we are that far off IF everyone plays to thier potential consistently all year long. IMO we are two or three players away from being a Stanley Cup contender & a couple of those players could be in our organization already but may need time & experience to blossom. The young guys that are already on the roster need to take another step up as well & start contibuting consistently on the scoreboard.

I think BM will start the season & see what he has & who has stepped up. If he can improve the team he will be in a position of strength & has the assets to make a deal. What we don't know is if Melnyk will let him make a deal or two if it means raising their internal budget? I think he will if they have a good team & the potential is there to go all the way.

Two guys who could be available & would certainly help Ottawa are Franson RD in Toronto & Fleischmann LW in Florida. I doubt Toronto would deal with us but giving them a couple of prospects & Corvo for Franson would give them some cap relief & Corvo is an older/cheaper version of Franson. Fleischmann would be insurance should Michalek's knees give out & would also give Ottawa more fire power. The Franson deal would have to be done now before the season started & Fleischmann will likely be available at the deadline again. At that point we will know who is playing well & who can be moved.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I think BM will start the season & see what he has & who has stepped up. If he can improve the team he will be in a position of strength & has the assets to make a deal. What we don't know is if Melnyk will let him make a deal or two if it means raising their internal budget? I think he will if they have a good team & the potential is there to go all the way.

Melnyk on Alfie and internal budget

The Euge said:
“If Bryan Murray came to me and he said, ‘You know, Eugene, if we can just get one more goal-scorer, or somebody that can play on our power play, if I can only get one guy and it’s going to cost us X for the balance of the year, because he’s becoming a UFA anyway,’ we absolutely would.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad