Hockey players' body weight

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Are hockey players' weights generally exaggerated similarly as NBA players' height? Typically pro hockey players aren't built like tanks and their body types are probably mostly mesomorph ie. not the most muscular type. Where they have a lot of muscle and weight compared to an average Joe is legs, as some players are often described to have thighs like tree trunks.

I'm 6'2 and weigh around 185-190 lbs. My body type is mesomorph as well and I'm toned. I recently filled in a web form for my ideal body weight and supposedly it's only 165-170 lbs. This is why looking at some players' weight my eyebrows raise up.

Then I see players like Kiril Kaprizov with claimed weight of 202 lbs at 5'10, Teuvo Teräväinen at 191/5'11 and Jeff Skinner at 200/5'11. None of these guys seem that big. I guess some examples to the contrary exist as well, such as Nikolai Ehlers at 172 lbs and 6'0.

Does the body weight get exaggerated or do big thigh muscles explain most of it? Other than the legs, how does a hockey player's body typically differ from the average joe who's reasonably fit and goes jogging and hits the gym twice a week?

(The quoted data is from NHL.com)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah it’s really hard to believe the weights on some of these guys. But who knows, they all have powerful lower bodies so maybe that adds lbs but most hockey players are not very big, bulk wise. So I find it hard to believe that someone like Jack or Quinn Hughes is actually 190 lbs or whatever

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There is a world of difference between regular people ideal weights and professional athlete ideal weight. In contact sports carrying around mass is useful, provided you can move the mass around effectively. And yes, hockey players have disproportionately dense legs compared to a lot of other sports. Which if not wearing shorts isn't very obvious.

Edit - For the Hughes reference

1729704682848.png

Reactions: Jacob

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mass and density is not something that's as apparent as height is.

I'm 256. Granted, I could eat less ice cream, but I'm far from obese. You wouldn't see me from a distance and say "holy shit that guy's fat." You would never think I'm 256. People have guessed as low as 205.

I'm just really, really dense. I would imagine a disproportionate amount of successful athletes (not me, I'm worthless!) are also really dense.

Reactions: Calderon

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The hip, leg, butt area likely impacts it a lot. Most of these guys also do weight training as well so there is muscle mass there. I grew up playing hockey and pants have always been an issue for me. a lot of pants fit my waist but I can't even fit my legs in them so I think a lot of athletes can look lean but weigh more then what they might appear. It also might depend on when they get weighed as well, they might weigh more at the start of the season if they did lots of training in the summer and then lose some weight as the season goes on just simply due to constant games and practices all the time and less weight training. There could be a be a 10-15 pound swing for some guys.

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
Teams also pump height/weight up all the time. Give everyone like an extra inch and 10-15 pounds on paper.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Look at pics of Steen, Crosby, Matthews, etc that show their mid to upper thighs and it will be clear why those guys weigh more than most fit people of the same height. There is a lot of weight in dense muscle mass. NHL players many times have freakish looking thighs.

A lot of NCAA/NFL CBs, RBs and WRs also have hard to belief weight/height ratios. I knew a corner who played at an SEC school back in the day. He was 5'9" but weighed 200-205. Tiny waist with simply massive leg muscles. Ripped and super fast. Had a heck of a time trying to find jeans that fit properly back then. I totally believe the listed weights of NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad