GDT: Hockey Club @ Devils - 1:00 PM - MSG

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
giphy.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Devils forwards are arguably all poor PP guys after the top 4 or 5 so let’s play Casey, Hughes, and Nemec on PP2…mostly jk but the Devils PP prowess at defense is better than at forward on a per slot basis.
Ya that’s exactly what I’m thinking. I think I already mentioned it but a

Hamilton Casey

Nemec

look might be better than anything we’d had on with forwards on the second unit so far. Obviously won’t happy unless Hughes was back and Pesce or someone else was out again

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Yeah, I thought Nemec had a notably bad play at one point, but thought overall he was quite good
Exactly. Def-ly his best game and I dont think he was bad in wsh game. Today he played a lot and played exactly like we want to see him playing. He tried to create dangerous plays, he played well positionally, he saved the puck on the blue line.

Whats about Luke and Pesce? Casey and Nemec? Kovacevic? I dont know I like them all. Casey is very good. Even if in limited role. Nemec def-ly trying to create more and play two way game, Kovacevic is really good in his role. Casey will loose some part of opportunity to play his role but he is too good in o zone, he is better than many forwards and its not a luck of Ty Smith - its def-ly good smart and skilled play of smart and skilled player.

Interesting puzzle.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’d be interested in swapping Noesen and Meier at 5 on 5 too. Jack and Bratt get a supportive wing and Timo gets freed up to be Timo on another line. Cotter and Timo could bring some real nastiness together.

Don’t expect many changes after a great game like that though. But I like that Keefe was willing to change things up on the PP mid-game.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Jack's play has not been good enough so far to start the year.

Jack's play today was much better than it had been the previous 3-4 games.

Jack is not nor should he be a "physical" player. That is not his game. We have plenty enough players, especially now, that can fill that role.

Jack did not have an offseason of training. He basically spent all offseason rehabbing from his surgery. If he looks like he did the first few games the majority of the year, then I will start to get worried.

the Devils are 4-1 and playing great hockey despite not getting big contributions from 86. This is a STRONG positive, not a negative.

All of things are true or can be true simultaneously.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Does he expound on this? I do like the puck movement on it though think we could use a little more of the Dougie point bombs
Well didn’t watch it closely enough but from a first glance it looked like Jack was doing a lot of skating around. Whenever it was on Bratts side he would skate down behind the net and pop up on the other side. Sometimes Nico would pop out for a quick pass. And then Bratt would give it Jack and then him and Jack would switch places quite often. A lot more movement seemingly than a traditional umbrella.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Jack's play has not been good enough so far to start the year.

Jack's play today was much better than it had been the previous 3-4 games.

Jack is not nor should he be a "physical" player. That is not his game. We have plenty enough players, especially now, that can fill that role.

Jack did not have an offseason of training. He basically spent all offseason rehabbing from his surgery. If he looks like he did the first few games the majority of the year, then I will start to get worried.

the Devils are 4-1 and playing great hockey despite not getting big contributions from 86. This is a STRONG positive, not a negative.

All of things are true or can be true simultaneously.
The one thing I would add to this is that Jack goes through too many of these stretches he’s not close to good enough. And there’s always reasons/excuses. Hopefully he can find some real consistency once he gets going or a better B/C game.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
What a player Noesen has become when he was stranded in the AHL and fighting to save his career. He potted a 40+ goal season in the AHL and hasn’t looked back. The guy is clutch, tough as nails and a smart player.

Love the Nose

I’ve mentioned it in other threads before , but his career resurgence is such an awesome story as you mentioned. He deserves all the praise and success in the world for finding his way back from being as close to out of the league as can be to earning what he has today.

For those who enjoy them, he’s doing a signing at Sports Minded Unlimited in Warren on Saturday Oct. 26th. I definitely plan on going so long as baby #2 doesn't plan to arrive earlier than expected. Do I have him sign The Nose Plays meme? :laugh:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Pretty tough to send Casey down the way he's been playing. Nemec better step up his play or he may be the one going down.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm usually not a proponent of 7D, but I feel we're currently equipped to roll 7D than we've possibly ever been. Or at least for the first time in over 20 years.

Especially if the alternative becomes MacDermid.

11 of any of the 12 forwards that played today + any 7 of the 6 guys who've played every game + Pesce and/or Luke would be appropriate for a 7D/11F lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad