Hockey Cards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
A major issue is transactional costs. You'd pay so much in shipping, paypal, and ebay fees, that it'd be difficult to profit on a large scale. Your best bet might be to use COMC. There certainly are collectors that do make money off guessing which players will make it big. The problem is that busting one box of wax will destroy your profits pretty quickly.
The guy I knew in the early 90's was large scale. He'd buy tons of boxes, hire street kids to break them down for cheap. He bought in such volume they usually knocked the shipping charges or he pick them up himself (lived in New York). Like I said, he quit his stock broker position and just dealt in cards. There was a small subset of guys who literally would buy in the hundreds or thousands and speculate like penny stocks.

The problem seemed to be if you really wanted to cash out it was hard to find buyers who were interested in such large lots. You might have 2000 Bobby Holik rookies that you bought for $0.27 each. Once they moved to $2.50 or something there just wasn't a buyer who wanted them in that quantity so you had to sell them off one at a time. May have caught on if there was a more efficient market (like Ebay) out there to bring buyers and sellers together.

Anyway, he sent some out to me in Western Canada of guys that might be bigger here (Oilers, Flames, etc.,). I went to shows to try to sell them but people just didn't have the mindset of buying more than 1-2 cards. I shipped the expensive stuff back to him but he let me keep some of them low value cards as it wasn't worth the cost to ship back. So if anyone is looking for 300 Paul Ranheim Score RC give me a shout. Or 250 Trevor Kidd UD Rookies.:laugh:

I guess these days you still have speculation but with chase cards into 4-5 figures you don't have to deal with the quantity.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: blankall

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Why the price differences?

SezF2vj.png

One is an auction the other is a set price.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Hockey cards suck now, they’re all just cranked out have to spend fortune now.

Cards haven't been cheap since the 80's.

Still, there's some decent low end products. Something like Coast to Coast is a pretty strong option because it's 2.25 a pack after tax, and while it's mostly a set building type product (as all low end ones are), there are some decent higher end inserts/autos that aren't all that hard to hit. Otherwise, stuff tends to go on sale a year or two after release. 15-16 Portfolio and Champs were both very cheap a year or so ago.

I'd also guess that if you adjust for inflation, 3.99 CAD for a pack of series 1 at Wal-Mart (I think that's what it costs...) probably isn't much more expensive than UD cost in the early 90's.

There's a misconception that this is an expensive hobby, but it really isn't if you don't want it to be. Buying packs and boxes is expensive. Cards themselves are not expensive. Most cards are under 5 dollars. Lots of nice inserts are 1-2 bucks or less. Most autos are 5 or under. Most YGs are 5 and under. Etc.

COMC is generally the best place to buy I find unless you're buying more expensive cards where 2-3 bucks shipping a pop isn't going to represent a huge portion of the purchase price.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
that moment when you realize you are officially old because every player in your hockey card collection is retired and probably collecting a pension. That said, I had a ton of fun collection hockey card in the late 80's/early 90's. that 1990 (?) french upper deck set was legit.

bb025bfc-1dc1-4876-93be-c69000a8414c-original.jpg
bb025bfc-1dc1-4876-93be-c69000a8414c-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Reactions: Rorschach

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The guy I knew in the early 90's was large scale. He'd buy tons of boxes, hire street kids to break them down for cheap. He bought in such volume they usually knocked the shipping charges or he pick them up himself (lived in New York). Like I said, he quit his stock broker position and just dealt in cards. There was a small subset of guys who literally would buy in the hundreds or thousands and speculate like penny stocks.

The problem seemed to be if you really wanted to cash out it was hard to find buyers who were interested in such large lots. You might have 2000 Bobby Holik rookies that you bought for $0.27 each. Once they moved to $2.50 or something there just wasn't a buyer who wanted them in that quantity so you had to sell them off one at a time. May have caught on if there was a more efficient market (like Ebay) out there to bring buyers and sellers together.

Anyway, he sent some out to me in Western Canada of guys that might be bigger here (Oilers, Flames, etc.,). I went to shows to try to sell them but people just didn't have the mindset of buying more than 1-2 cards. I shipped the expensive stuff back to him but he let me keep some of them low value cards as it wasn't worth the cost to ship back. So if anyone is looking for 300 Paul Ranheim Score RC give me a shout. Or 250 Trevor Kidd UD Rookies.:laugh:

I guess these days you still have speculation but with chase cards into 4-5 figures you don't have to deal with the quantity.

My Best-Carey

Yup, this had been going on with baseball cards since the early 80s. I remember I had 250 1988 Donruss Pat Pacillo RCs I had gotten for 5c per card.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Do you guys know anything about this card: 1985 O-Pee-Chee OPC Scoring Leaders #262 Mario Lemieux HOF PSA 9 | eBay

Do you think this is a good price for me to buy at?

I couldn't see the 2nd picture, but the first one it isn't graded at all.

The sold copies of that card were 6 bucks to 20.

If the card isn't too rare, always do an Ebay search and select sold auctions. Gives you an indication of what you might have to pay, or if you should wait for another one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I collected cards in the late 80s and when the early 90s boom hit I raked up nice cash. Brett Hull was my favorite. I had like 15 rookie cards and sold them for like 50 bucks a pop

1988-89-OPC-Hockey-Brett-Hull-Rookie-66-St.jpg

What an ugly card. lol

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I wonder if there will ever be a return to aesthetic cards.

1960-parkhurst-45-maurice-richard-56947.jpg
I find upper deck Series 1 and 2 to be very aesthetic. The Young Guns are typically very nice photos of the players.

What is and what is not aesthetic is a matter of personal taste, but I find this card for example to be quite aesthetic
Young-Guns---Jack-Eichel.jpg

Mar 12, 2009
Hockey cards suck now, they’re all just cranked out have to spend fortune now.
It's been like this for a while. I quit collecting shortly after the 08-09 season for these reasons. I'd guess it's only gotten worse, I'm not too in tune with things now, but that seems to be the case from what I have seen. Oversaturation of products and of "hits".
The plain old Upper Deck with Young Guns seems like a fun set to still build though, if I ever got back in, that's probably all I would do. When I collected, a box of that retailed for about 100CAD, but if I recall correctly, series 1 came out around the time of the Fall version of Toronto's big card show and you could get boxes from wholesalers for about 65 (08-09). Very affordable and fun if you can find that deal.

Outside of all that, the problem I ran into was that it's most fun to open boxes, but it's much more practical and cheaper to just buy the cards you want...it's not as fun that way, but at some point you realize you could have had the stuff you wish you pulled from a pack/box.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if there will ever be a return to aesthetic cards.

1960-parkhurst-45-maurice-richard-56947.jpg

There are cards of this type of aesthetic every year by Upper Deck. The O Pee Chee base brand is full of retro cards, both borrowing legacy designs and having legacy-inspired new designs. Normally the base set is an 80s design then the normal parallels are 7os/60s/50s themed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad