Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He's 12. But he's quite knowledgeable when it comes to sourcing and pricing cards online and those between a graded and non-graded card.

Top calibre meaning high rated players' Young Guns or Rookie Cards (ie. Jack Hughes). Cards that are at least a few hundred dollars each.

Just thinking to back in the late 80s and early 90s, you put your card in a hard sleeve or one of those screw-on cases for your better cards. Nowadays it seems the value lies more if the card is graded than just pulled and put in a hard sleeve. 🤷‍♂️
Teach your son to love the history of hockey and collecting graded rookies of hall of famers from pre-1988. When your son is 30, chances are a PSA 10 Jack Hughes young guns will be worth less than it is today.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
My son is starting to become heavily interested in card collecting. He likes opening the generic packs and getting what are mostly common cards. But would it be suggested these days that if you truly want top calibre cards in your collection, that they should be graded?
If your you or your son are really excited about player x, I would try to buy a highly rated card from BGS or PSA for that player's rookie card. Maybe Ebay or a card convention? Out of 99 or higher for a player's rookie season is a rule that I like. Vintage is really cool too, in my opinion. If one buys boxes, I think it would cost more, but maybe opening packs is part of the fun of it for some people.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He's 12. But he's quite knowledgeable when it comes to sourcing and pricing cards online and those between a graded and non-graded card.

Top calibre meaning high rated players' Young Guns or Rookie Cards (ie. Jack Hughes). Cards that are at least a few hundred dollars each.

Just thinking to back in the late 80s and early 90s, you put your card in a hard sleeve or one of those screw-on cases for your better cards. Nowadays it seems the value lies more if the card is graded than just pulled and put in a hard sleeve. 🤷‍♂️
I’d just follow the blankall method. Buy UD base brand and hit Young Guns. They often grade well. Also, I always put cards into an Ultra Pro penny sleeve before I put it into a semi-rigid or a top loader.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
The popularity of card grading has driven up values on rare cards. Now if you have an extremely rare and desirable card and it grades a 10, it dramatically increases the value.
It’s the other way around, grading has driven up the price of common cards. If a card is highly desirable but is mid or lower end, a PSA 10 or a BGS 9.5 and up will boost the value multiple times. The rarer the card, the less it needs a slab.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I stand corrected, I'm old school (Vintage) and TBH cannot comprehend how people would pay that amount of money...
It’s pretty easy to explain. You’re newly rich, maybe from crypto or some other investment. You buy cards of players you know.

In fact, Vintage cards are so poorly printed, unless they’re super high grade or pre-war, there’s little to generate interest. One of the cards on that list is a game worn jersey shield 1/1 autographed by Wayne Gretzky.

I remember one year I had a windfall of well over $50k and I blew 90% of that on hockey cases. It never once occurred to me to buy a vintage card. Why? My first collecting was coins. And like coin collecting, it’s dying and the majority of collecting is done by guys born 70s or earlier. With all the hype around modern players with tons of video on YT and games on TV, and the fact the early 90s being the most exciting era of hockey ever, the card collecting base is under 50.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
If your you or your son are really excited about player x, I would try to buy a highly rated card from BGS or PSA for that player's rookie card. Maybe Ebay or a card convention? Out of 99 or higher for a player's rookie season is a rule that I like. Vintage is really cool too, in my opinion. If one buys boxes, I think it would cost more, but maybe opening packs is part of the fun of it for some people.

I wouldn’t buy loose boxes or PC just one player. In each period of 10 years, maybe 20 players hold high value and keep it, and 2/3rds had initial hype and were expensive day 1. And to be honest, looking at this current era, I don’t see a single all-time great. All the Cups are won by the Toews, Marchands, Kopitars, Hedmans and Barkovs of the world. The only exceptions are Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin.

I suggest buying base brand by the case and opening a box of that case per month.

Spread out what you collect, learn all about the league. Or if you want to go cheap but collect the best era of players, you can get early 90s junk wax boxes, pull RCs of many great players.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Name his accomplishments that would put him on the greatest of all time list.
I'm sorry you said this and thought you were right.

Hart
1727380344997.png

Lindsay

1727380384032.png

Art Ross

1727380405412.png

And a Conn Smythe in a losing cause.

All before even turning 30 years old.

I wish people were more informed about things they talk about.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
Most PTS, PPP, EVP in the last 10 years.... And he gave everyone a 2 year head start cause his first season was in 2015 lmao

1727381260671.png

But not even head and shoulders above the competition of his own generation.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: CutOnDime97

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Looking at points per game before the end of a players career isn't an apples to apples comparison for current players vs historic players. Bossy is so high on that list because he didn't play in his 30s.
Yeah obviously that will fall as he goes, but gives you an idea of what he's done thus far.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Back to hockey cards, a Bedard Orange Checkers was pulled. Such a sick card. Huge fan of OPC Platinum. Probably my favorite set outside of The Cup. I don't rip much product but even if I did, the prices are just insane on this stuff unfortunately. Still nice cards.

Screenshot_20240926_173049_Firefox.jpg

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm sorry you said this and thought you were right.

Hart
View attachment 910010

Lindsay

View attachment 910011

Art Ross

View attachment 910012

And a Conn Smythe in a losing cause.

All before even turning 30 years old.

I wish people were more informed about things they talk about.

Exactly, a pile of regular season awards and no Cups. He has a long way to go. He has revolutionized no part of the game and has not been clearly head and shoulders above others in his generation. Could he get there? Likely. Is he there? NO.

Right now he has one credential that a GOAT list should have:
Conn Smyth 2024 where he didn't win the Cup.

If you show a list of excellent regular season accomplishments, on par with top 100 all time players, that just means you proved he's a top 100 player right now. No argument there.

• Haha

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

That's not a good stat for McDavid. Scoring a lot of points in the regular season and only one Final appearance as a loss in the salary cap era is not a good look.

The guys on the list that played in the pre-cap era. Minus Bossy who had a short career, the players of the high scoring 80s and early 90s of course had high rates.

McDavid, only having played maybe 3/5ths of his career and none of his years past his prime....this is EXTREMELY disingenuous. If this is the sort of stat you have floating around up there to justify the GOAT argument, you're actually helping my argument.

this is a wild take
He's not head and shoulders above Kucherov or MacKinnon. He's not scoring the equivalent of 200 points when the next guy. Heck he didn't even win the Art Ross this year...

• Haha

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Exactly, a pile of regular season awards and no Cups. He has a long way to go. He has revolutionized no part of the game and has not been clearly head and shoulders above others in his generation. Could he get there? Likely. Is he there? NO.

If you show a list of excellent regular season accomplishments, on par with top 100 all time players, that just means you proved he's a top 100 player right now. No argument there.
I would add that someone on a GOAT list should have a Hart (McD x 3). Also, a forward on that list should at minimum have 1 scoring title.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus

Damn this is a lot of denial.
Oh well, it is what it is. I can’t change the mind of a stranger on a hockey forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad