HNIC Changes Cherry and MacLean being phased out

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Cherry & MacLean are still there and Strombo first started his career in sports at the FAN 590.

Cherry can't be a part of every game and the coverage on Sportsnet is significantly expanding its NHL coverage to Sundays, etc.

And I'm not a huge fan of Strombo (I'm actually entirely indifferent, and I don't really care that much about who is hosting because I watch the game and skip everything else) but you're in for a major shock if you think an articulate 40-something who has made it to CNN is going to corrupt children by speaking about hockey, while hockey players (a lot of whom drink in excess, fight, take drugs, etc.) are going to imbue children with morals and values. Chances are, if the kid is in high school, they've already seen people significantly worse than a TV host.

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
Being phased out in favor of a hab fan who has no ties to our great game.

The hiring of George Strombulopius rubs me wrong because he is a non hockey guy. I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time. He looks like a druggie which is anti our clean living hockey culture.

Some say he is smart I don't care if he is Einstein I don't want him as an example for my kids to see each week during our national past time.

Don Cherry is 80 and Ron MacLean is 54. Eventually they would retire.

I can see leaf haters Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson being fired but not Don n ron

Who would be a better hire?

Funny enough, I've played hockey with George and he's about as good (and clean) as a guy they come, everything about this post screams of nimby uptighted ignorance.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
clean living hockey culture....rofl!

Anyways, I like Strombo. I think they should be more concerned about getting a proper number one broadcast team though.

ForSpareParts*

The HC all love Cherry and Maclean (Ron). They love having grapes on their show. They stop everything when Cherry calls in To give his opinion. All this hockey programming will be fine. I think the OP is a conspiracy theorist and also part of the militia/territorial army/knights of the night.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
As long as Hughson,Simpson and Healy aren't calling the Leafs games anymore(which I hope is announced) then IDC who hosts HNIC. Don and Ron are still going to be there

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I stopped reading the OP at "... not a hockey guy..."

Besides, you do know that Cherry and MacLean will die or retire before long right?

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
OP sounds like my 85-year-old grandfather.

Strombo is one of the finest hosts to come out of this country, working his ass off for two decades. I hope my kids gain influence from someone like him.

MacLean is one of the main reasons why I watch HNIC pre-and-post game segments. He's an incredible host who brings tons of thought provoking questions to interviews - much like George.

Change is inevitable. It's coming. As much as us Canadians hate change (especially when it's regarding our game) it's going to happen. Rogers is putting their spin on it and I'm kind of excited to see it.

ForSpareParts*

Leaf Lander,

Are you worried there won't be enough sentimental Tim Horton's commercials? Don't worry. They'll have that too.

::cues soft piano music::

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The very fact that the OP does not seem to mind his children being influenced by someone who is rude, ignorant, loud, largely inarticulate, and somewhat xenophobic tells me all I need to know to put a value on this post.

ForSpareParts*

The very fact that the OP does not seem to mind his children being influenced by someone who is rude, ignorant, loud, largely inarticulate, and somewhat xenophobic tells me all I need to know to put a value on this post.

Must we all subscribe to French Post-Structuralism then?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Guy's get a clue. Coaches corner is not changing at all in the forseeable future. Strombo is going to being the job like the chick does now

I certainly hope so.

I'm just fine with Cherry and MacLean thank you very much.

If MacLean leaves, that will be a National travesty. They should take that day off of school.

And I like Strombo. He's great. But mmm, ya no I"m good.

I just don't like change basically I think. Bring back Cole and Neale as well. Cole calling the last one in Montreal, that was amazing. He's still got it, he's still the best.

The CBC, which historically hasn't been very bright, would tip right over the edge into certifiable Pejorative Sluration if they either let MacLean walk, or got rid of him.

Perhaps they found Cole and Neale too fair to the Leafs when calling games, they seem to like thinly veiled anti-Leaf bias. Personally I've always liked Bowen.

OP, you're worried about how this guy looks and how he will influence your children, yet you consider hockey a cherished past time.. Do you even realize what goes on behind the scenes and in the locker rooms? You think growing up, that these hockey players aren't out getting hammered, trying drugs, having girls throwing themselves at them.. you think that's a good influence? You're worried enough about a guys look that his intelligence and personality are worth nothing in your eyes, yet you'll excuse the close-minded and xenophobic things Cherry has spewed over the years and choose him as an ideal role model?

Your children might be in trouble, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not because of the influence of a man they see every saturday night on TV.

Furthermore.. If you think Strombo has a bad influential look.. You better bar the doors, cancel the cable and internet, and stay huddled in a cupboard with your children forever so they aren't exposed to the horrors of this world..

Dude... :shakehead

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Being phased out in favor of a hab fan who has no ties to our great game.

The hiring of George Strombulopius rubs me wrong because he is a non hockey guy. I look at him and think he is a punk and now my kids are gonna see him as host of our cherished past time.

Some say he is smart I don't care if he is Einstein I don't want him as an example for my kids to see each week during our national past time.

So you view a senile, loudmouthed xenophobe as an ideal role model but not an intelligent, insightful, hard working young man?

Your priorities are very, very, very wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Must we all subscribe to French Post-Structuralism then?

No but we shouldn't subscribe to idiotic xenophobia.

But maybe subscribing to french post structuralism would be good for everyone, teaching philosophy, critical thinking are skills clearly lacking in today's pathetic "education" system.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
"These kids today and their new looks are going to take society to hell in a handbasket" - parents of kids since the dawn of time.

I'm sure you were in favour of your parents wanting rock n roll banned back in your day.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
When this guy was being interviewed you ask how can someone in their right mind who is born in toronto be a habs fan

Kyle Doobas*

So you view a senile, loudmouthed xenophobe as an ideal role model but not an intelligent, insightful, hard working young man?
But he has black hair and piercings!!!11@!!1!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
K so two things,

1. If you are worried about him being a Hab fan, that is just laughable. Also, not a hockey guy? Pretty sure he started in hockey.

2. We won't be on CBC. We will be in Sportsnet on the majority of Saturdays. We will be seeing Millard/Marek, not Strombo

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Him being a Habs fan doesn't bother me in the slightest. If he lets it be known often that he is a Habs fan then it would bother me but not because he is a Habs fan but because he is letting it be known often.

Can't say I've ever watched him interview someone and I won't judge his abilities and his performance until I've seen him in action on a hockey show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad