Historically, who are the great all-time tall players?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
But it still seems like Savard could be shorter than 6'3, but seems to be listed everywhere at 6'3.

I distinctly remember him being listed at 6'2 in the past, I don't remember where? Also note that if a player is, for example, actually 6'1 and 1/2", they're going to list him at 6'1 or 6'2 (if they list him accurately at all which is sometimes not the case anyway) They never list the 1/2", though it only stands to reason that approximately half of all people are in between one inch measure and the next. In the photo, as Lapointe is 6'0, it looks as though Savard is 6'2 at the most, and probably more like 6'1-1/2".

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Willie huber was a decent top 4 defensman in the early 80's.

6:6 he was the tallest player in the league for at least half a decade.

Vladimir Ruzicka was insanely tall for the times.6:5

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I guess it depends on how exclusive you want to be... 5'11 was pretty tall in the early days. At any given time you could count the 6-footers on one hand.

For example, Moose Johnson could be considered a great tall player of his time at 5'11".

Yeah but being 2 inches taller than the average is not very tall. One of my brothers is 2 inches taller than me and i dont feel remotely dwarfed by him. That grim reaper that is 5 inches taller is another question, and even the one that is 3 inches i dont feel fully cool when walking with.

We're talking about when in a crowded bus and you're suddenly mouthing someones armpit.

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Habs had a huge D-corps in the 70s...

Robinson 6`4
Langway 6`3
Savard 6`2
Engblom 6`2
Chartraw 6`2
Lapointe 6`0

Dryden 6`4

It would probably still be among the biggest today, though Buffalo with Ristolainen (6`4), Zadorov (6`5) and Bogosian (6`3) is pretty impressive, moreso if they had kept Myers (6`8)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad