Line Combos: HFPens Decides 24-25 Version - Starting Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which goalie do you want to be the starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I mean this doesn't really matter as it will be a 1A 1B situation.

I've already seen this movie:

Jarry will be great to start the season and Sully will grind him into dust/be injured. Ned will come on and be rusty from lack of usage. Jarry will come back from injury while Ned is doing ok. Jarry will crumble again starting in Jan/Feb and Ned will need to be the #1 for the rest of the season.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Play Jarry until the all-star game and then send him to Siberia. Run Ned-Blom for the rest of the season

I wonder how many years this team will be on the "Jarry starts out great, makes the worthless ASG, Penguins fans and the team convince themselves he's finally putting together a year only to soil his Cooperalls for the next three straight months before getting injured" train?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d like a write-in candidate lol…Murashov or Blomqvist…if those are the two options, then sure, I “want Jarry” to be a starting goaltender…he hasn’t shown it yet so I’m still “wanting”…lol, that’s how I’m going to justify this vote

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This is what I WANT. I WANT the goalie we are paying $5mil+ for to come in and solidify himself as a true #1G.

It's in everyone's best interest for him to CONSISTENTLY play to his potential.

Now this is a separate conversation from what I expect to happen.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's a bajillion times more hilarious now than it already was that this team "had no choice" but to sign Jarry because "what else can they do?" now that they are firmly in the gutter and competing for nothing. Lord knows the Penguins couldn't be utterly mediocre to flat out bad WITHOUT a 5+ million dollar sucking void in net.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's a bajillion times more hilarious now than it already was that this team "had no choice" but to sign Jarry because "what else can they do?" now that they are firmly in the gutter and competing for nothing. Lord knows the Penguins couldn't be utterly mediocre to flat out bad WITHOUT a 5+ million dollar sucking void in net.
Looking back, the timing of contacts vs market was infuriating.

Shift that one year forward and we likely don't have Jarry on the roster. Or if we don't, maybe at something a little more tolerable.

As I've said in the past, I have no idea how many BAD goalie contracts have to be handed out before GMs realize that it's not smart business.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Looking back, the timing of contacts vs market was infuriating.

Shift that one year forward and we likely don't have Jarry on the roster. Or if we don't, maybe at something a little more tolerable.

As I've said in the past, I have no idea how many BAD goalie contracts have to be handed out before GMs realize that it's not smart business.

I understand that there is an "optics" element to things. As in the team has to look like it's still competing and what team that is competing doesn't have a "name" goaltender, right? Except that's outdated thinking IMO. I expect crusty old brain damaged GMs to be silly about stuff like that... I was a little surprised at how many Penguins fans were all-in on bringing Jarry back at basically whatever he wanted. There are like maybe three-ish goaltenders you accommodate in this league at any given time these days. I feel like people are still using their 90s brains when it comes to goaltending.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I understand that there is an "optics" element to things. As in the team has to look like it's still competing and what team that is competing doesn't have a "name" goaltender, right? Except that's outdated thinking IMO. I expect crusty old brain damaged GMs to be silly about stuff like that... I was a little surprised at how many Penguins fans were all-in on bringing Jarry back at basically whatever he wanted. There are like maybe three-ish goaltenders you accommodate in this league at any given time these days. I feel like people are still using their 90s brains when it comes to goaltending.
There's context to that though. I think if you like hockey enough, you can come here to read and post and it will likely put you in the upper tier of "knowledge" concerning the Penguins. Then you have the casual fan who only really knows that "Jarry was an all-star, Jarry is our starting goalie". I mean, psh, why WOULDN'T you bring back our starting goalie!!?? ZOMG! But they lack that extra depth of knowledge and discussion that suggests Jarry is garbage and is not worth any higher paying longer-term deal.

One thing that has certainly added to the parity of the league is lack of quality goalies. There's only a handful a true #1 all-star goalies. Certainly NOT 32 of them. I would say there are 5 or so. As someone pointed out in another thread, if you want a playoff run you either need that all-star goalie (Shesty, Bobs, Vasi, etc) or you need to get damn lucky with a goalie on a hot streak (Bingington, Murray, Kreuper, etc). No one is making on-average goaltending unless you have McDavid. We might squeak in on a Jarry-Neds tandem but I think we'd need Blom or Murashov to come out of absolute nowhere and go on a heater for anything of significance to happen.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's important for Jarry to play well and get a big workload. It'll boost his market value and make that contract easily movable.

Whereas Ned's only on the books for 2.5M x 2.
I imagine that it's known among the GMs that there is on-going "availability" for Jarry just in case something doesn't work out as the season starts and wears on.

The Ned's deal is perfect because he can become the 1A, he can be backup, and if Blom/Mura come in, we should be able to send him out relatively easily. If he can maintain a similar level of play, it may be one of the better deals Dubas has signed with regard to team needs, the near future, and flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think the best goalie on the team is in WBS. Maybe we see a mid season Murray like takeover by Blomqvist.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think the best goalie on the team is in WBS. Maybe we see a mid season Murray like takeover by Blomqvist.
Possibly.
Lindberg was looking like the heir apparent for a minute there.
Murray was looking like the correct choice of who to keep after 2017, but the Pens likely would have been better served keeping Flower.

It's pretty much a dice roll. Hardest position to project by far. I've given up trying.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jesus..... Back to the goalie kick again....

How about the team playin' a team game and max protect. There's more to hockey than pushin' north. But they're a bunch of old guys and who cares about protecting the net. The goalie is supposed to make the 1st/2nd/3rd and 4th consecutive shot without any help.

It's playin' to your limitations. No matter who's in net. At one point in time this team knew how to do that. It wasn't stopping goals at one point, they had trouble scoring them. Now they can score them, but can't keep them out of their net because they are "always" pushing north, hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad