1939 | 1 GP | 1.01 GAA | 2.13 GAA | 1/8
1940 | 12 GP | 1.56 GAA | 2.36 GAA | 1/8
1941 | 3 GP | 1.88 GAA | 2.08 GAA | 1/8

Awards Recognition

All-Star Teams
  • 2nd Team (1938), behind Tiny Thompson, ahead of Wilf Cude
  • 3rd Place (1939) behind Frank Brimsek and Earl Robertson
  • 1st Team (1940), ahead of Frank Brimsek and Earl Robertson

Kerr was a late bloomer with an all-time high peak and an abrupt finish to his career (a la Timmy Thomas). He retired at the age of 30.

Style

Leadership

Peak

Statistically, Kerr's 1939-40 season is one of the great goalie seasons of all time. A 1.54 GAA, when 2nd place was 1.94 and league average was 2.46. 3 shutouts against the defending Cup champs/regular season champs, including two 1-0 victories. And the Stanley Cup at the end.

:amazed:

That is absolutely outstanding. I had no idea Kerr was such an impressive goaltender. I knew the name from 1940 but knew next to nothing about him.

Every season & post season sans for 1 each, Kerr was below the league average in terms of GAA.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
:amazed:

That is absolutely outstanding. I had no idea Kerr was such an impressive goaltender. I knew the name from 1940 but knew next to nothing about him.

Every season & post season sans for 1 each, Kerr was below the league average in terms of GAA.

This is when I start wondering why Kerr shouldn't be number 1 overall.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
This is when I start wondering why Kerr shouldn't be number 1 overall.

He had the single most-dominant season of any Rangers goaltender. But his peak was very short-lived. He had a very Tim Thomas-like career. If you're a peak guy, you love Kerr.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Chuck Rayner

rayner.jpg

Stats

Regular Season
Year | GP | GAA | League Average GAA | League Rank
1946 | 40 GP | 3.76 GAA | 3.26 GAA | 7/7
1947 | 58 GP | 3.05 GAA | 3.06 GAA | 4/7
1948 | 12 GP | 3.65 GAA | 2.83 GAA | DNQ
1949 | 58 GP | 2.90 GAA | 2.72 GAA | 5/6
1950 | 69 GP | 2.62 GAA | 2.74 GAA | 3/6
1951 | 63 GP | 2.85 GAA | 2.60 GAA | 6/7
1952 | 53 GP | 3.00 GAA | 2.57 GAA | 5/6
1953 | 20 GP | 2.90 GAA | 2.48 GAA | DNQ

Postseason
Year | GP | GAA | League Average GAA | League Rank
1948 | 6 GP | 2.83 GAA | 2.94 GAA | 2/4
1950 | 12 GP | 2.25 GAA | 2.196 GAA | 4/5

Awards Recognition

Hart
  • 1st Place (1950), ahead of Ted Kennedy and Maurice Richard
  • T-4th Place (1947)
  • 7th Place (1949)

All-Star Teams
  • 2nd Team (1949), behind Bill Durnan, ahead of Turk Broda
  • 2nd Team (1950), behind Bill Durnan, ahead of Turk Broda
  • 2nd Team (1951), behind Terry Sawchuk, ahead of Al Rollins

Rangers MVP
  • 1949, shared with Edgar Laprade

During 1943-44, Ken McAuley was signed to bandage the leaking Rangers’ defense, but he had as little good fortune as his predecessors, winning just six games of the 50 he played and sporting a helium-filled goals against average of 6.20. The next season, McAuley returned and improved his goals-against average to 4.94. The Rangers won just 11 games that entire season.

Claude Earl Rayner, meantime, was serving his country with the Royal Canadian Navy. Rayner, known as ‘Chuck’ since boyhood, was born August 11, 1920 in Sutherland, Saskatchewan. Playing junior with the Kenora Thistles, Rayner had led his team to a Memorial Cup final in 1939-40, although the Thistles were defeated by the Oshawa Generals that season. Rayner was signed and played 12 games with the New York Americans, replacing an injured Earl Robertson.

The New York Americans were renamed the Brooklyn Americans the next season, and again, Rayner split the goaltending duties with Robertson. But the franchise was on its last legs, and ceased operation at the end of the 1941-42 season. While the war raged, Chuck Rayner sparkled as a goaltender with the Victoria Navy team. Returning from his active duty, Rayner was signed as a free agent with the woeful New York Rangers, who were desperately trying to regain some sense of hockey decency. Unfortunately, that was not to happen for some time, in spite of Rayner’s best efforts.

Chuck Rayner is a case-in-point on why GAA, by itself, can be misleading.

The rejuvenated New York Rangers, backed up with super-duper goaltening by Chuck Rayner, held the leading Detroit Red Wings scoreless for almost 95 minutes in two weekend games, and came out victors both times.

Rayner allowed the Red Wings the big total of one goal. After winning a 1-0 shutout Saturday - it was the first time the Red Wings had been held scoreless in the National Hockey League this season - Rayner helped his teammates to a 2-1 victory which snapped Detroit's unbeaten road string at 10 games.

The improved showing of the Rangers in the last 10 days has heartened Lynn Patrick to the point where he is recalling that before the season started he prophesied that they wouldn't finish any worse than third. Chuck Rayner, Edgar Laprade and Dunc Fisher are carrying the mail for Lynn...

Highlight of the Red Wing-Ranger game--apart from the "master-minding"--was another of those remarkable displays of goaltending by Chuck Rayner.

For a period and a half, the Gotham puck-defending magician did not have much to do. But once the aroused Red Wings started to roll, following two fast Ranger tallies, he was kept busier than a one-armed paper-hanger with the hives. The league-leaders rained shots at him from all angles. There were occasions where he was forced to boot out as many as three and four blistering drives in a matter of seconds. In the third period alone, following the complete collapse of his defence, he made a total of 19 saves, not counting the 2 shots that got by him.

For the past several years this corner has contended that Rayner is the best goalie in the league. We continue to say so. Front him a defence the equal of that which stands guard in front of Montreal's Bill Durnan, and we are sure he would prove it even to those die-hards who cling to the out-moded notion that the goals-against record provides a true picture of the ability of the goaltender.

It was goalie Chuck Rayner's, sixth shutout of the season in the game at Gotham. A pair of second-period goals by Tony Leswick and another from rookie Nick Mickoski in the final frame cemented the Rangers' seventh victory of the season over the Black Hawks in 11 meetings.

Rayner bobbed up with 22 saves to earn the goose-egg, successfully holding out Doug Bentley, Chicago's great centre, looking for his 200th goal. Bentley has yet to score against the Rangers this year.

Goalie Chuck Rayner was treated with praise aplenty today as the New York Rangers celebrated their triumph over the Montreal Canadiens in the semi-finals of the National Hockey League. The surprising Rangers moved into the Stanley Cup finals last night when they dumped the Canadiens, 3-0, thus wrapping up the best-of-seven series, four games to one.

And according to Coaches Lynn Patrick of New York and Dick Irvin on Montreal, Rayner's superb netminding was the big difference. Patrick admitted that "Chuck really stood them on their heads." And that's the way it was during the entire five games, as the Canadiens broke through Rayner for only seven goals while the Rangers totaled 15. The usually reticent Irvin was lavish in his praise of Rayner, pointing out that "if they get the same sensational goaltending they got in this series, the Rangers surely will win the Stanley Cup."

Chuck Rayner and Harry Lumley are two of the greatest goalers in the game today and there may be little to choose between them. But what little there is may rest with Rayner. Charlie never cracks wide-open and Lumley sometimes does.

Edgar Laprade and Chuck Rayner, who played major roles in New York Rangers' 3-1 victory over Detroit Red Wings at Toronto Thursday night to square the Stanley Cup final series at 1-1. Laprade sniped two all-important counters to break a 1-1 deadlock, while Rayner rose to great heights to stop numerous scoring sorties by the Detroit squad.

The Hockey News has selected Chuck Rayner as the leading player of the past season, Jim Hendy as top executive and Mud Bruneteau as the best coach. There is no denying that all three did splendid jobs.

Coach Neil Colville figures the chances of his New York Rangers making the Stanley Cup playoffs are "better than good." Manager Frank Boucher admits "we're in a pretty fair spot."

But they're not going too far out on a limb. They face one big "if". And that's the condition of goalie Chuck Rayner - the Mr. Big of the Rangers - who will be out of action possibly a week with bursitis in both shoulders. Rayner is the key in the Ranger playoff plans and with only three weeks of the regular season remaining, he could not miss too many games if they are to stay in the running.

Stickhandling

A superb skater, it was not unusual to see him carrying the puck down the ice… It wasn't until Jacques Plante starred with Montreal a decade later that other goalkeepers exhibited strong puckhandling and playmaking skills.

During the late 1940s, the New York Rangers used him on the point during powerplays late in a handful of games. "That was Frank (Boucher's) idea all the way. I used to do a lot of skating and shooting in practice, so he decided to try it in a game. I'd only come out half way up the blueline. It only happened four of five times," he laughed.â€

“When you threw it in the corner, he would just go out and get the puck. He really forced us to change the way we came into the zone", said Gordie Howe. "No one other than Jacques Plante later on was doing that.â€

The Daily News once said, “He is to the Blueshirts what Joe DiMaggio is to the Yanks.€

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Fun fact: Dave Kerr was the 1st NHLer to be on the cover of Time magazine.

IMO Kerr and Rayner should factor pretty highly. They played a few less years than the other guys near the top but their numbers are very impressive. Kerr in particular.

Crease, thanks once again for the excellent writeups

shadow5150

Sep 10, 2008
Both GMs (Vezina voting) and the PHWA (All-Star Team voting) felt Vanbiesbrouck was better than Richter in the 1993-94 regular season. And Beezer was no slouch in the playoffs either (see 1996). Can't prove it, but I think the Rangers still win the Cup if they keep Beezer and let Ricky go.

I also think the Rangers win the cup with VBK, but do you think he stops Bure on the penalty shot? I think that Richter does the splits way better, and VBK gets beat.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I also think the Rangers win the cup with VBK, but do you think he stops Bure on the penalty shot? I think that Richter does the splits way better, and VBK gets beat.

I think that with VBK the penalty shot doesn't happen and the Rangers lose in the ECF. Just my opinion that the team was a close knit team and each fed off each other because they were the group that were wiling to go to war with each other. It's not as easy as saying this guy or that guy would have done better. More goes into Leetch's play than just Leetch himself. They were young, close, friends, etc., and each elevated the play of the others that season. That team was a team of destiny. From the coach to the Black Aces.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think that with VBK the penalty shot doesn't happen and the Rangers lose in the ECF. Just my opinion that the team was a close knit team and each fed off each other because they were the group that were wiling to go to war with each other. It's not as easy as saying this guy or that guy would have done better. More goes into Leetch's play than just Leetch himself. They were young, close, friends, etc., and each elevated the play of the others that season. That team was a team of destiny. From the coach to the Black Aces.

How do you figure out how things would work out if VIM was in net.

I don't believe in the idea of teams of destiny. You can say that for any team that wins. Millions of things can derail a champion.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site

I don't believe in the idea of teams of destiny. You can say that for any team that wins. Millions of things can derail a champion.

You don't figure out how things work out with a different goalie in net. The entire season and games are played differently, good or bad. Yea, it's easy to say destiny now, and it is totally in hindsight, and yea, you'd say that for most teams that win. I guess it goes back to it's nearly impossible to say how changing someone out affects an outcome, but since one poster did give an opinion, I thought I'd also give an opinion. Sometimes you go with your gut. That was mine.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Personally, I preferred VBK.

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Man, how hardcore did Chuck Rayner carry a really crap team on his back in 1949-50 when he won a Hart with a losing record?

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Personally, I preferred VBK.

I think I knew you would. You have a better eye for goaltending than do I; I've never been up on the technical aspects. I don't know who I'd prefer, but think that Richter did help bring this team a Cup and I'd rather not trade that in. I always thought that Richter was one of the best goalies out there when he was on top of his game, compared to others on top of their game, meaning that because of his athelticism (and I thought he was one of the better goalie athletes) he can do things that many other goalies could not. For me, his problem was two-fold. One, he wasn't on top of his game enough and two, he became a bit injury prone. He was a goalie that was meant for the Rangers' system though. 30+ shots a night, way too many quality chances, and a lot of moving around, and being that athlete helped him. It's a tough call, but I think I still would have kept Richter; unfortunately, again, a cup was won so I'm a bit jaded now.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think I knew you would. You have a better eye for goaltending than do I; I've never been up on the technical aspects. I don't know who I'd prefer, but think that Richter did help bring this team a Cup and I'd rather not trade that in. I always thought that Richter was one of the best goalies out there when he was on top of his game, compared to others on top of their game, meaning that because of his athelticism (and I thought he was one of the better goalie athletes) he can do things that many other goalies could not. For me, his problem was two-fold. One, he wasn't on top of his game enough and two, he became a bit injury prone. He was a goalie that was meant for the Rangers' system though. 30+ shots a night, way too many quality chances, and a lot of moving around, and being that athlete helped him. It's a tough call, but I think I still would have kept Richter; unfortunately, again, a cup was won so I'm a bit jaded now.

My biggest problem with Richter was that he handled the puck like a live grenade early in his career. Later on, he froze everything he could get his hands on. This caused far too many faceoffs in the defensive end.

Hank is poor at handling the puck, also, but is still far better than Richter in that area.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
I think Richter gets overrated a bit because (i) of his acrobatic style, (ii) his high-profile peaks, and (iii) he is, by all accounts, a very likable guy. Beezer gets underrated a bit because (i) he was left unprotected in the expansion draft by a Cup contender and (ii) he is, by most accounts, a total jerk.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I think Richter gets overrated a bit because (i) of his acrobatic style, (ii) his high-profile peaks, and (iii) he is, by all accounts, a very likable guy. Beezer gets underrated a bit because (i) he was left unprotected in the expansion draft by a Cup contender and (ii) he is, by most accounts, a total jerk.

you forgot that Beezer also played behind a defensive system (the dreaded trap) that gave up few quality chances. It was that type of system that people would actually talk about Brodeur as if he was an ordinary goaltender.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
you forgot that Beezer also played behind a defensive system (the dreaded trap) that gave up few quality chances. It was that type of system that people would actually talk about Brodeur as if he was an ordinary goaltender.

Did not forget. Simply too young in those years to appreciate and understand the finer aspects of the game. My mother was just happy to find something that kept me still for a couple of hours a night :laugh:

Articles on respective team systems would be illuminating to look at. I'll see what I can dig up later.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Many years ago, I was a patient at Lennox Hill hospital. VBK was there at the same time. I think he hurt his hand when he leaned on a glass table. I walked over to his room and walked in. We chatted about his injury and hockey for about an hour. Repeated it the next day. He couldn't have been nicer. Could have been a jerk, but he wasn't with me.

That same week I was in a chair in a hospital hallway. There was a guy in a chair next to me. He had a beard and wore a woolen cap. I said hello. He cursed me out good.

When I went inside for the test, I laughingly told the nurse about it. She told me it was Robert Deniro. I didn't recognize him. I love that I got verbally abused by him, talking just like he did in some films.

Cake or Death

My Top 12

For the sake of transparency, and on the off chance anyone has a legit differing perspective, this is the top 12 I submitted to Crease for the top 9 he asked for:

Henrik Lundqvist – 331
Ed Giacomin – 191
J. Vanbiesbrouck – 137
Mike Richter – 122
Dave Kerr – 121

John Ross Roach – 65
Chuck Rayner – 45
Andy Aitkenhead – 41
Gilles Villemure – 37
Gump Worsley – 35

John Davidson – 28
Jim Henry – 27

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey

I would think that Mess had a vote in the final goaltending decision. Obviously it was his team and he was larger than life back then. Not sure when that friendship really blossomed between he, Ricky and Leetch, but I would think that management probably asked him which goaltender he wanted to go forward with (giving them the best chance at the cup) and he chose Richter.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
John Vanbiesbrouck

vanbiesbrouck.jpg

Stats

Regular Season
Year | GP | Save% | League Average Save% | League Rank | GAA | League Average GAA | League Rank
1985 | 42 GP | 0.887 % | 0.887 % | T15/27 | 4.22 GAA | 3.75 GAA | 22/27
1986 | 61 GP | 0.887 % | 0.887 % | 10/28 | 3.32 GAA | 3.79 GAA | 5/28
1987 | 50 GP | 0.882 % | 0.882 % | 15/32 | 3.64 GAA | 3.49 GAA | 24/32
1988 | 56 GP | 0.890 % | 0.882 % | 10/29 | 3.38 GAA | 3.56 GAA | 12/29
1989 | 56 GP | 0.881 % | 0.882 % | 15/30 | 3.69 GAA | 3.50 GAA | 19/30
1990 | 47 GP | 0.887 % | 0.883 % | T13/28 | 3.38 GAA | 3.45 GAA | 13/28
1991 | 40 GP | 0.891 % | 0.888 % | 16/28 | 3.35 GAA | 3.28 GAA | 17/28
1992 | 45 GP | 0.910 % | 0.891 % | T2/23 | 2.85 GAA | 3.25 GAA | 4/23
1993 | 48 GP | 0.900 % | 0.887 % | 5/30 | 3.31 GAA | 3.49 GAA | 12/30

Awards Recognition

Hart 5th Place (1986)

Vezina
  • 1st Place (1986), ahead of Bob Froese and Grant Fuhr
  • 6th Place (1987)
  • 6th Place (1988)
  • 4th Place (1989)
  • 6th Place (1992)

All-Star Teams
  • 1st Team (1986), ahead of Bob Froese and Grant Fuhr
  • 9th Place (1988)

Rangers MVP (1986)

The Rangers drafted Vanbiesbrouck 72nd overall in the 1981. Beezer had just completed a fantastic season with Sault Ste. Marie of the Ontario League. Amazingly, that was the last season John played while wearing glasses under his birdcage goalie mask. He switched to contact lenses the following season.

In New York Vanbiesbrouck shared the net with most notably with Bob Froese and then Mike Richter. He would enjoy 9 strong seasons in Manhattan, none better than the 1985-86 season. Vanbiesbrouck was a bit of a surprise winner of the Vezina trophy that season thanks to a league leading 31 win season.

He was famous for his confidence, or his cockiness (depending on who you ask).

In a weekend of upsets and near upsets, the Washington Capitals became the NHL's latest playoff casualty, falling four games to two to the New York Rangers—they of the sub-.500 record and the sublime goalie, John Vanbiesbrouck. "Vanbiesbrouck was incredible," said Washington forward Craig Laughlin after New York's 2-1 win Sunday night in pandemonious Madison Square Garden. "He stopped everything we threw at him. The guy was standing on his head." As Vanbiesbrouck smothered rush after rush, the Capitals' spirits sagged...

It worked in Game 4, a 2-0 Rangers shutout that, if nothing else, gave New Yorkers one last chance to salute their own splendid goalie, John Vanbiesbrouck, for his near miraculous work in the playoffs. Vanbiesbrouck's was the only artistry to be seen on this night.

Vanbiesbrouck is excellent at cutting down the shooter's angle, making the first save simply by being in the way of the puck... a consistent goaltender who stays away from personal slumps... Has good concentration and doesn't carry bad games in his memory... poised and confident, to the point of being aggressively cocky... his importance to the Rangers last year was incalculable... He is a talker in the dressing room and has little use for any player that doesn't work as hard as he does...

If he is playing his game, just letting it hit him, then he is in the game... not often out of position... very quick to recover from flopping... contact from the opposition doesn't rattle him at all... very tough mentally... he thrives on work.

More so than any other goaltender in the league, Vanbiesbrouck excels at squaring himself to the puck... excellent catching hand, probably second only to Grant Fuhr... will jab at opposing forwards who come too close... consistency is the hallmark of his game... poised and confident... the team's hardest worker... one of the top five goaltenders in the league...

The strength of John's game comes from his ability to stand up and square himself to the puck... He is an excellent skater with exceptional balance, which usually puts him in good position for the second save... very good hand skills, his glove is among the NHL's best... usually ready to play every game. He certainly has big save capability... one of the few goalies who can win games by himself... he's a proud and very driven athlete.

Vanbiesbrouck's picture should be featured in the chapter on positioning in the goaltending textbook... Reflexes, of course, are still a job requisite. Vanbiesbrouck has outstanding quickness... Vanbiesbrouck, though, likes to roam. "I'm more likely to beat myself trying to poke-check somebody on a breakaway than Mike would be," Vanbiesbrouck says... Vanbiesbrouck, 27 years old and now in his seventh full season, has learned how to maintain his focus even when he's going badly... Vanbiesbrouck, the veteran, has matured and doesn't resent Richter's intrusion...

An extremely aggressive goaltender. He may get beaten, but it will not be from lack of effort... among the most mobile goalies in the game... has matured extremely well...

Does a very good job of staying square to the puck and always knows where the net is... virtually never gives up a goal because he is doing too little... Has great trust in the poke check and uses it very effectively on breakaways and cut-ins. And he uses his stick to block any pass he can reach from the corners, end boards, or side boards... fundamentally strong... extremely patient and confident... can play, and excel, in big games... has a good grasp of when his team needs a faceoff... one of the mentally tough competitors in the league.

The secret to John Vanbiesbrouck's success might have been that the player he believed in the most was the one he viewed in the mirror while shaving every morning. "When he first came to the Rangers, he was pretty arrogant," recalls former teammate Tom Laidlaw. "But to his credit, he really backed it up." Vanbiesbrouck's faith in himself was probably more valuable to him than his superb technique or his competitiveness. His inner strength often seemed contagious to teammates. NHL players often take a team's temerature based on how harried a goaltender looks, and Vanbiesbrouck always lookd as if he were master of the house.

"When John would make a key save, he made it seem routine, like he was in complete control. There were no wild rebounds, and his angles were covered. You would look at Beezer and say, "OK, we are fine here."... "His mental preparation in 1996 was as good as any goaltender I've ever seen," says Doug MacLean, the Panthers' coach at the time. "He was so confident that even when he had the odd rough night, it was a non-issue about whether he was going to come back and play well. I can still remember him stoning Mario and Jagr, and I'm thinking, man, how hot is this guy going to get?"

"John had the swagger about him that he allowed the tough saves to look easy,"says ESPN analyst Bill Clement... The Panthers wanted him because the team's first coach, Roger Neilson, said he had the right temperament for the expansion job. "The one thing about him is that he coems back from a bad goal, a bad game, or a bad season."... "I know I don't have the talent of a Fuhr or a Roy, but I've learned to scratch and claw back," Vanbiesbrouck says. MacLean always felt as if Vanbiesbrouck's composure stemmed from his knowledge of how to play goal. His style was like a training video. "Fundamentally, he was so sound that it was easy to look composed. For a small guy to be as good as he was, he had to have outstanding fundamentals."

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Going to try to get bios up for Richter, Lundqvist, Davidson and Villemure in the next 24 hours. If there are any other goalies you want profiled, let me know.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Going to try to get bios up for Richter, Lundqvist, Davidson and Villemure in the next 24 hours. If there are any other goalies you want profiled, let me know.

Don't believe a profile is necessary.

I will be nominating Blackburn for a special honorable mention citing.
Don't feel he played long enough for full consideration, but got screwed due to freak injury.

If you feel a profile is necessary, your call.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Does VBK make certain saves though that Richter didn't? It is impossible to tell. I think VBK was certainly a good enough goaltender that it is plausible that we would still win the cup.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I think that pretty much does it. I think that although the candidates are clear cut, their will be more discussion than some think regarding the order of our top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00