HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #20 (closed)

• Jiri Kulich - C/W

• Dmitri Simashev - D

• Cole Eiserman - RW

• Olen Zellweger - D

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• David Reinbacher - D

• Berkly Catton - C

• Gabe Perreault - RW

• Zayne Parekh - D

• Rutger McGroarty - RW

• Konsta Helenius - C

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Brayden Yager - C

• Dalibor Dvorsky - C

• Mavrik Bourque - C

• Jimmy Snuggerud - RW

• Easton Cowan - RW

• Matt Savoie - C

• Carter Yakemchuk - D

• Brad Lambert - C/W

• Nate Danielson - C

• Quintin Musty - LW

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• Callum Ritchie - C

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Macklin Celebrini - C:sharks18. Tij Iginla - C/W
1721563845537.png
2. Matvei Michkov - RW:flyers19. Sam Dickinson - D:sharks36.
3. Ivan Demidov - RW:habs20.37.
4. Will Smith - C:sharks21.38.
5. Alexander Nikishin - D:canes 22.39.
6. Cutter Gauthier - C
1721563864544.png
7. Artyom Levshunov - D:hawks24.41.
8. Cayden Lindstrom - C/W:cbj25.42.
9. Ryan Leonard - LW:caps26.43.
10. Simon Edvinsson - D:wings27.44.
11. Zeev Buium - D:wild28.45.
12. Brandt Clarke - D
1721563904988.png
13. Danila Yurov - C/W:wild30.47.
14. Lane Hutson - D:habs31.48.
15. Shane Wright - C:seattle32.49.
16. Beckett Sennecke - RW
1721563876907.png
17. Anton Silayev - D:devils34.

To add:
Conor Geekie - C
Oliver Bonk - D
Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - RW
Trevor Connelly - LW
Tom Willander - D
Oliver Moore - C
Matthew Wood - RW
Bradly Nadeau - LW
Tanner Molendyk - D
Adam Jiricek - D
Noah Oslund - C
Marco Kasper - C
Joakim Kemell - RW
Joshua Roy - RW
Colby Barlow - LW
Daniil But - LW
Tristan Luneau - D
Frank Nazar - C
Carson Rehkopf - C
Logan Mailloux - D
Andrew Cristall - LW
Michael Hage - C
Sacha Boisvert - C
Liam Greentree - LW
Brennan Othmann - LW
Jagger Firkus - RW
Riley Heidt - C/W
Liam Ohgren - LW
Ivan Miroshnichenko - LW
Scott Morrow - D
Josh Doan - RW
Theo Lindstein - D
Marat Khusnutdinov - C
Seamus Casey - D
Zachary Bolduc - C
Mackie Samoskevich - RW
Gavin Brindley - C

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 (closed) (summer 23)
HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 22)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 21)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 20-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 19)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 18)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #48 (summer 17)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Kulich not being on yet is pretty wild considering what he's done in the AHL. But I'm biased, so.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Kulich not being on yet is pretty wild considering what he's done in the AHL. But I'm biased, so.
yeah: him, Zellweger, Lambert, and Bourque are all in that proven AHL tier.... should all be in the next 10 for sure.

Not adding Mailloux yet, but the kid was the 3rd leading scorer in the AHL amongst Dmen last season, and did it as a rookie even! Im a little surprised not to see him higher on other lists for that reason, although I know his defensive game needs work (as does Clarke and Zell for that matter).

Last edited:
Reactions: LT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
interesting prospect "league adjusted points" list

No surprise that tiny D-men predominate in a position adjusted ranking. There's a good reason why Hutson, Zell, Cagnoni, and Casey shouldn't go too high in our polls.

I don't think that caution should apply to Mateychuk, who is a thick player who can go shoulder to shoulder in the corners.

Another player we haven't paid enough attention to is Quentin Musty, who is missing a bit of competitiveness but is really the total offensive package outside of that. Could be a star scorer in the NHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
No surprise that tiny D-men predominate in a position adjusted ranking. There's a good reason why Hutson, Zell, Cagnoni, and Casey shouldn't go too high in our polls.

I don't think that caution should apply to Mateychuk, who is a thick player who can go shoulder to shoulder in the corners.

Another player we haven't paid enough attention to is Quentin Musty, who is missing a bit of competitiveness but is really the total offensive package outside of that. Could be a star scorer in the NHL.
just keep in mind Fox and Hughes were/are small too. Depends would can put on a bit of weight, and how they ultimately adapt (IQ).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
just keep in mind Fox and Hughes were/are small too. Depends would can put on a bit of weight, and how they ultimately adapt (IQ).

And it does help if they're an elite skater (Hughes) or have an elite IQ and are pushing 6 feet (Fox). It feels terribly nitpicky but there does seem to be a huge difference between a 5'11 guy and a 5'9 guy.

Reactions: Xirik

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
And it does help if they're an elite skater (Hughes) or have an elite IQ and are pushing 6 feet (Fox). It feels terribly nitpicky but there does seem to be a huge difference between a 5'11 guy and a 5'9 guy.
possibly, but we also rarely see 5'9 dmen as it is. Usually if you were a small kid to begin with you were probably put at forward. I feel like it may be changing now in the past decade or so having more emphasis on skill and skating at the backend. Time will tell.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Bias but I don't think I'd swap Bourque for any other prospect left

AHL MVP at 21, huge improvements every year, and a top 9 spot next year on one of the league's deepest offenses

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like it may be changing now in the past decade or so having more emphasis on skill and skating at the backend. Time will tell.

It felt that way six years ago when teams were drafting a lot more small D. And taking guys like Brannstrom and Boqvist high. It didn't work. The proportion of small D being taken now has plummeted.

Reactions: amnesiac

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
interesting prospect "league adjusted points" list

what do you mean?
Because all that matters is points not projection right?

Took Catton and add Adam Jiricek who should be on the overall list but he isn't a sexy recent pick so there is that I guess.

Bias but I don't think I'd swap Bourque for any other prospect left

AHL MVP at 21, huge improvements every year, and a top 9 spot next year on one of the league's deepest offenses
I like Bourque but there are easily 20 guys I would take over him from the prospects list.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Because all that matters is points not projection right?
its not a true ranking, its just additional information. Whats the harm in that?

I always found it difficult to compare point totals between all the leagues, so to have a rough idea of what the adjusted stats looks like I think is useful information.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
its not a true ranking, its just additional information. Whats the harm in that?
No harm and it's also summer but this overall group ranking in reality just doesn't mean a hell of alot.

If the final ist was called say the Wheeler of Promana list everyone would lose their shirt....right?

I always found it difficult to compare point totals between all the leagues, so to have a rough idea of what the adjusted stats looks like I think is useful information.
Sure but it's just a superficial look on the surface and assuming a similar role or "projection" in the NHL is really laughable for many of the numbers presented.

It's just an algorithm with faulty inputs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad