HFBoards TOP 50 Prospect Ranking: #17 (closed)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

• Drake Batherson - W

• Rasmus Sandin - D

• Evan Bouchard - D

• Owen Tippett - W

• Dylan Cozens - C

• Oliver Wahlstrom - W

• Ryan Poehling - C

• Cole Caufield - W

• KAndre Miller - D

• Morgan Frost - C

• Elie Tolvanen - W

• Jusso Valimaki - D

• Joe Veleno - C

• Vasili Podkolzin - W

• Adam Fox - D

• Barrett Hayton - C

• Ty Smith - D

• Mortiz Seider - D

• Max Comtois - W

• Sam Steel - C

• Grigori Denisenko - W

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
yeah I have him after Cozens.... some people (and GMs) may not realise that theres a good chance he will grow another inch or two..... same thing happened with Gaudreau (was drafted at 5'6)
My issue with Caufield is that there is no middle ground with him. Either his scoring translates and he ends up as a similar player to DeBrincat, or he's out of the league in a matter of years since he doesn't do anything else that would likely keep him on a roster.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Smith went from nearly winning a poll 2-3 polls ago and now cant seem to get enough votes

Do people change their minds daily on these things??

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
My issue with Caufield is that there is no middle ground with him. Either his scoring translates and he ends up as a similar player to DeBrincat, or he's out of the league in a matter of years since he doesn't do anything else that would likely keep him on a roster.
top goalscorer by far in the draft shouldnt be going 15th, Ill say that much

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
some people (and GMs) may not realise that theres a good chance he will grow another inch or two..... same thing happened with Gaudreau (was drafted at 5'6)

Is Gaudreau really any taller than 5'6" currently? If anything, I think the listing is generous.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Is Gaudreau really any taller than 5'6" currently? If anything, I think the listing is generous.
listed as 5'9.... at worse he grew 2 inches

bottom line is Caufield was a high risk high reward pick given his size RIGHT NOW.

5-6 GMs opted for either a Dman for need (Seider, Broberg, Soderstrom, York), or a bigger forward (Boldy, Podkolzin). And thats their decision.

In the past, Im sure that was the safer bet, but sure as hell wasnt the case for the likes of: Gaudreau, DeBrincat (2nd rounders), Arvidsson (4th), Gallagher (5th) to name a few. Caufield is/was the best goalscorer at his age over all of those guys. Time will tell, but at 15th, this guy's a steal.

Last edited:

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
top goalscorer by far in the draft shouldnt be going 15th, Ill say that much
That's silly logic. Just because he is a very good goal scoring prospect doesn't mean prospects drafted from other drafts aren't superior and more complete players as of now.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That's silly logic. Just because he is a very good goal scoring prospect doesn't mean prospects drafted from other drafts aren't superior and more complete players as of now.

What? what do "prospects drafted from other drafts" have to do with Caufield being the best goalscorer of his draft?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
listed as 5'9.... at worse he grew 2 inches

If Gaudreau is 5'9" than I'm 7'10"

He's probably 5'5" to 5'6"

Regardless, size isn't some huge obstacle anymore. Skill is skill. Yes, all things being equal skill wise I'll take the 6'3" player over the 5'7", but it's not the issue it used to be.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
If Gaudreau is 5'9" than I'm 7'10"

He's probably 5'5" to 5'6"

Regardless, size isn't some huge obstacle anymore. Skill is skill. Yes, all things being equal skill wise I'll take the 6'3" player over the 5'7", but it's not the issue it used to be.

I mean, why would they list him 5'6 at the draft and 5'9 now if he didnt grow? How would that benefit anyone?

hockeydb
elite
nhl.com
wiki
yahoo
espn

all list him at 5'9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad