HFBoards Top 25 Goalies in the NHL - Results

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
It showed in the playoffs too. I don't know if it's new equipment or a new league wide play-style or something but there was a lot of average at best goaltending last postseason
Yeah it's horrific. Outside of Bob there was nothing special last post season.

Game has gotten faster so I think that's ONE factor

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
GSAx rank courtesy of moneypuck.com (min. 10 games played):

Kuemper:

22/23 - 16
21/22 - 5
20/21 - 24
19/20 - 6
18/19 - 13

Jarry:

22/23 - 48
21/22 - 11
20/21 - 57
19/20 - 27
18/19 - N/A

Cumulative standard stats from nhl.com over the past five years (min. 15 games played):

Kuemper: 10th in SV%, 4th in SO
Jarry: 19th in SV%, 14th in SO

Kuemper is clearly the superior goaltender while Jarry is more erratic.
That’s one way to look at it. It’s also not too relevant to what I’ve been stating that Jarry has never had a bad season. He’s never been below league average in SV% during his career. You’re basically taking the absolute prime of Kuemper’s career to say he’s better than Jarry. Obviously recent years matter, but you can’t divorce that from the fact that you took the prime window for Kuemper, ignored that he wasn’t as good previously and has had bad seasons before then (not an irrelevant consideration), and aren’t accounting for that Kuemper is now on the downside while Jarry is entering that five year prime window.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
That’s one way to look at it. It’s also not too relevant to what I’ve been stating that Jarry has never had a bad season. He’s never been below league average in SV% during his career.
Sure, he also doesn't regularly outperform Kuemper in any relevant goaltending statistic either.

You’re basically taking the absolute prime of Kuemper’s career to say he’s better than Jarry. Obviously recent years matter, but you can’t divorce that from the fact that you took the prime window for Kuemper, ignored that he wasn’t as good previously and has had bad seasons before then (not an irrelevant consideration), and aren’t accounting for that Kuemper is now on the downside while Jarry is entering that five year prime window.
I clearly stated in my first post I was looking at the last five years. Considering Jarry's service time in the NHL (and as a starter) I think it's perfectly reasonable. If you want to argue that Jarry is a better goaltender because Kuemper had some average seasons in the league before he arrived be my guest, but objectively there's nothing Jarry does better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure, he also doesn't regularly outperform Kuemper in any relevant goaltending statistic either.

I clearly stated in my first post I was looking at the last five years. Considering Jarry's service time in the NHL (and as a starter) I think it's perfectly reasonable. If you want to argue that Jarry is a better goaltender because Kuemper had some average seasons in the league before he arrived be my guest, but objectively there's nothing Jarry does better.
Well no, that’s your subjective opinion that Jarry does nothing better. Of the five seasons they’ve been in the league together, Jarry has one better season, Kuemper has three, and there was also a season they had the same SV%. I don’t argue against the point that Kuemper has had better numbers the last five years. That was not the point of my argument, so I’m not sure we are disagreeing about the specifics, yet you seem to be calling your opinion the objective truth, while also seemingly acknowledging that my argument has validity. I’m not going to argue semantics though, so that’s where I’ll end my side of our discussion about this.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Well no, that’s your subjective opinion that Jarry does nothing better. Of the five seasons they’ve been in the league together, Jarry has one better season, Kuemper has three, and there was also a season they had the same SV%. I don’t argue against the point that Kuemper has had better numbers the last five years. That was not the point of my argument, so I’m not sure we are disagreeing about the specifics, yet you seem to be calling your opinion the objective truth, while also seemingly acknowledging that my argument has validity. I’m not going to argue semantics though, so that’s where I’ll end my side of our discussion about this.
No, it's the most logical conclusion based on objective numbers from reputable sources. I'm sorry facts hurt your feelings.

If I'm wrong post your favorite stat that disproves Jarry stops pucks at an inferior level.

Reactions: Copenhagen91

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Now that the polls are over and I can share my personal thoughts, I thought Skinner was overlooked for way too long. Also Gibson in the early teens was appalling

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred

you got anything to say about this?
I mostly don’t have much issue with it, but as I said earlier on in the polls, some of them have benefited from recency bias.

Bobrovsky is not a good goalie anymore. He’s been a mediocre to poor goalie for pretty much 3 of the last 4 years. His playoff run is the only reason he finished this high.

Jarry is being overrated, probably because he’s on a team that’s been (mostly) good for his entire career. He isn’t a bad goalie, but I think he made it into the top-10 over a couple of better options like Kuemper.

Oettinger is still hella-overrated around these here parts. Probably because of the fact that he’s young, combined with his 2022 playoff series. He was horrific in the most recent playoffs and he hasn’t been anything otherworldly in his 3 regular seasons. Still, I’m fine with him at 6th. I figured his stock would have dropped after how poorly he played in the playoffs this year. Just like how much Bob’s went up because of his playoffs.

I like that top-5 list.

Gibson is way overrated around here, but he did drop 3 spots from when we did this poll last year.

It’s hard to really rank many after 5 and way hard to rank beyond 9 or 10.

Grubauer at 25th is also extremely generous. He’s been bad for 2 years and likely wasn’t as good as he played for Colorado anyway. He shouldn’t even make the top-32, unless you could only pick one goalie from each team.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Grubauer over Skinner is a joke.

Korpisalo at 24th is a joke. More recency bias on that. Korpisalo has been a terrible goalie in his career, but had an up season.

As an outspoken critic of Binnington and current MAF, I don’t think I would have raged with them being in the top 26 over Korpisalo and Grubauer.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’d argue Swayman is a top 20 on that list & didn’t even get an honourable mention lol

Raanta somehow got on this?
Raanta is actually one of the most low key overrated goalies there is.

Because he posts good numbers as a (mostly) career backup and mostly always has.

But he has a penchant for letting in some of the softest, leakiest, bull shit goals. He killed the Canes in game 6 of the 2022 series against the Rangers with two killer softies in the opening 10 minutes of the game at MSG. And then another killer softy early in game 7. Those three goals were worse than anything Shesterkin has ever allowed in the playoffs. Shesterkin wasn’t allowing goals like that and Raanta did. That was the difference in that series. I was waiting for the Devils to get a chance to play him that series, which the Canes kept saying he would get a start that series but he never did lol.

Raanta has a history throughout his career or either just not being good enough to be a starting goaltender or getting injured and losing it by the time he finally gets a starting job, like in Arizona, which he quickly lost to Kuemper after he got injured (which is the one constant in his career, getting injured) and never got it back.

Raanta may be the most overrated goaltender that isn’t universally overrated.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The funny thing is if you take these goalies and randomize the teams they're on for the last 2-4 years, the list is probably entirely different, especially from 8 down, they could fall in any order.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Oettinger needs to stay healthy and DeBoer can’t run him into the ground again. After coming back from injury last season he was never 100% and it showed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Raanta is actually one of the most low key overrated goalies there is.

Because he posts good numbers as a (mostly) career backup and mostly always has.

But he has a penchant for letting in some of the softest, leakiest, bull shit goals. He killed the Canes in game 6 of the 2022 series against the Rangers with two killer softies in the opening 10 minutes of the game at MSG. And then another killer softy early in game 7. Those three goals were worse than anything Shesterkin has ever allowed in the playoffs. Shesterkin wasn’t allowing goals like that and Raanta did. That was the difference in that series. I was waiting for the Devils to get a chance to play him that series, which the Canes kept saying he would get a start that series but he never did lol.

Raanta has a history throughout his career or either just not being good enough to be a starting goaltender or getting injured and losing it by the time he finally gets a starting job, like in Arizona, which he quickly lost to Kuemper after he got injured (which is the one constant in his career, getting injured) and never got it back.

Raanta may be the most overrated goaltender that isn’t universally overrated.
Wait, you’re upset he gave up a few soft goals and otherwise played well getting outplayed by the best goalie in the league?

He had a .922 SV% in that series and he’s rated 30th. If he’s overrated, where should he be rated?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Grubauer over Skinner is a joke.

Korpisalo at 24th is a joke. More recency bias on that. Korpisalo has been a terrible goalie in his career, but had an up season.

As an outspoken critic of Binnington and current MAF, I don’t think I would have raged with them being in the top 26 over Korpisalo and Grubauer.

Recency bias?

Korpisalo has career playoff saves of 92,2%, but that came from the CBJ.

1692384554375.png

Playoff teams value playoff success. I would pick Korpisalo before Vitek Vanecek for a playoff run just because he has better playoffs stats and is more experienced.

1692384773380.png

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
I'd give it a pass.

Demko is the only goalie that I remember seriously carrying a series win after 2016-17 Jake Allen. And I dont mean couple amazing saves in one game, I mean just carrying several games for a team that had no business being there.
Demko’s issue is that he gets overused and breaks down. He doesn’t have the durability to play over 80% of a team’s games… but the Canucks have to lean on him if they hope to have any chance at all to make the playoffs.
Injured Demko and terrible backups had the team in the bottom 5 for a while there.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Recency bias?

Korpisalo has career playoff saves of 92,2%, but that came from the CBJ.

View attachment 736980

Playoff teams value playoff success. I would pick Korpisalo before Vitek Vanecek for a playoff run just because he has better playoffs stats and is more experienced.

View attachment 736983
He's played in only 15 playoff games and half have been great and half have been awful. Check his regular season numbers, they're average to downright putrid. Much larger sample too.

Reactions: Aurinko

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'll be honest Shesterkin is great but I like Sorokin's consistency a little more. I think Igor has a higher ceiling lower floor.

Ad

Ad

Ad