HFBoards is the place to be

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This place has its pros and cons but there is genuinely nowhere better for mass community discussion of hockey (20 member discord servers don't count) on the internet. Reddit is filled with karma farming and a system that discourages engagement with a thread after a few hours. Twitter/Facebook/IG comments are where you go to see the true dumbest hockey takes you will ever see.

Everyone is super fake on Reddit because they want their comments to get upvoted rather than downvoted, so they never say what they really feel. Plenty of knowledgeable fans there but everyone finds what works and conforms and sounds the same. When I saw fans of rival teams in the middle of heated playoff series all falling over themselves to be light hearted and make themselves the butt of jokes in order to not get downvoted this really became obvious to me.

Yeah this is what kills my interest in posting about hockey on there the most. /r/GoldenKnights is pretty much the main reason we don't have a big presence on HF Vegas. It's very active but they are a community that embodies "toxic positivity" really well. Criticizing the team in any fashion is a huge no no and they're especially weird about white knighting for Vegas' goalies.

The last straw for me was a game where Logan Thompson let in an objectively bad goal. Muffin of a floater shot that he saw all the way that he could've easily stopped if he'd just lifted his glove hand a little and he just didn't react at all. My comment was "Jesus Thompson, at least make an attempt" or something like that and I ended up getting like fifteen downvotes. They do tend to be more knowledgeable about the sport than the average VGK casual but the toxic positivity became insufferable.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Reddit hockey would rather see their favorite team go 0-82 then have a player who doesn’t fall 100% in line with their various causes of the month. And every topic is dominated by meme phrases, even just as a reader there’s not much substance to be found there.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
How much is HF worth? Let’s pool our resources and dismiss the corporate overlords that don’t want their Temu ads next to our controversial opinions about forward depth.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I left reddit and found myself posting here a lot more. The only thing I miss about Reddit these days is I have an Android phone and participating in the Samsung Ultra and Android reddits and just tech reddits in general as pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Kosovo vs Cyprus
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $725.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Lithuania vs Romania
    Lithuania vs Romania
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $790.00