GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/8/16

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Yeah, I don't think anything serious will occur. Nurse will probably get hit a lot, and I think it's inevitable that someone will challenge him to drop the gloves. But, I don't think actual dirty play will go on, at least not to any greater degree than sometimes randomly happens in games. Hopefully the NHL assigns a really good ref crew to that game, though, because if bad stuff actually does start happening and whatever ref is there starts losing control of the game, that's when we're going to have real problems. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

I won't deny I'm hoping someone from the Sharks challenges Nurse to a fight and beats him to a pulp, :laugh: but only if it happens as part of a normal hockey fight, no sucker punching or other shenanigans involved. And hey, Nurse is a tough kid, so maybe he wins, too. Likewise, I hope he gets hit a lot, but legal big hits, not any kind of boarding idiocy that no one wants in the game.

All I ask is that Jumbo Joe scores 4 goals.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Twitter is stupid. Everyone's talking about not messing with the Oilers or Darnell Nurse. That's great. Polak didn't. He didn't even try to fight him, because there was no reason for a fight in his mind.

Even without the benefit of the replays it was stupid to think that what Polak did was intentional. There was absolutely no reason for him to have intentionally done that knowing the score, time left, and situation in which it occurred.

Another area of game awareness that Nurse clearly doesn't have.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Just saw the replay ...What the heck is Nurse thinking ?? Ridiculous.

Also just saw Coutures post game interview. Yikes. Sounds like Sharks are looking for retribution and will pick on Oiled " skilled guys. "

Would hate to see something happen to Mcdavid because of what Nurse did tnt.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Just saw the replay ...What the check is Nurse thinking ?? Ridiculous.

Also just saw Coutures post game interview. Yikes. Sounds like Sharks are looking for retribution and will pick on Oiled " skilled guys. "

That's the danger of doing something stupid, reckless, and without rational thinking: Someone equally stupid, reckless, and lacking rational thought will do something even more stupid, reckless, and without rational thinking. Call it the Bertuzzi principle.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Got one thread locked, now shooting for two I guess. Seriously, I think all the elements have been covered. Nurse engaged Polak due to what he thought was a dirty hit ( obviously can't say for sure what he was actually thinking, but that's what I would guess). The fact that Polak was penalized for it was laughable, even for the initial hit, but the ref probably didn't see the angle we all did on replay.

Let the league exercise justice in terms of deciding whether or not to suspend Nurse and let the players settle it among themselves on the 24th. Banter at this point is pretty pointless

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Got one thread locked, now shooting for two I guess. Seriously, I think all the elements have been covered. Nurse engaged Polak due to what he thought was a dirty hit ( obviously can't say for sure what he was actually thinking, but that's what I would guess). The fact that Polak was penalized for it was laughable, even for the initial hit, but the ref probably didn't see the angle we all did on replay.

Let the league exercise justice in terms of deciding whether or not to suspend Nurse and let the players settle it among themselves on the 24th. Banter at this point is pretty pointless

How dare we banter on a message board !.:sarcasm:

This has a very eerie similar feeling to the Bertuzzi / Moore incident .. from the cheap shot to the post game comments. Yikes.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

This has a very eerie similar feeling to the Bertuzzi / Moore incident .. from the cheap shot to the post game comments. Yikes.

Just thought the original thread would have been enough. Now it was just evolved into people making completely unreasonable statements like the one you just included in your post.

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
If Polak had the chance to drop the gloves I wouldn't be mad at it. Hell, I'd even praise the kid for sticking up for his teammates. It's the fact that he just sucker-punched Polak that made me lose all respect for him.

The NHL code calls for players to challenge another into a fight, not just randomly start punching people. There's a right way and a wrong way to start a fight. I'm pretty sure Polak would've fought Nurse had he asked.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

To be fair, the first thread got very out of hand very quickly. I played a part in that myself, which I regret. Got way too angry, and went overboard on here, and I'm sorry about it. Not surprised that thread got shut down given how it was going.

There's certainly a significant difference in degree between the Bertuzzi incident and this one, obviously. But at the most fundamental level both were sucker punches. There's never an excuse for sucker punches in hockey. It's just wrong. This was a sucker punch. It was wrong.

Believe me, I understand Oilers fans being happy someone is sticking up for his teammates after what he thought was a dirty play. I have no problem with Nurse wanting to fight Polak, given what he knew at the time. I would have had no problem at all with him challenging Polak if this had been a normal hockey fight. I don't think most people would have a problem with it if it was, but unfortunately, that's not what happened. Nurse sucker punched someone who had no intention of fighting and hadn't even dropped his gloves. Everything he did up to the sucker punch I have no issue with. Perfectly understandable train of thought to get to the incident, horrible decision once he caught up to Polak. I suspect he'll get a 1 game suspension for sure. Maybe 2, but probably not.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
If Polak had the chance to drop the gloves I wouldn't be mad at it. Hell, I'd even praise the kid for sticking up for his teammates. It's the fact that he just sucker-punched Polak that made me lose all respect for him.

The NHL code calls for players to challenge another into a fight, not just randomly start punching people. There's a right way and a wrong way to start a fight. I'm pretty sure Polak would've fought Nurse had he asked.

The part I didn't like was Polak was clearly turtling and still had his gloves on and Nurse kept pummeling.

Sharks are furious from all Twitter reports and post game interview.

OldAsianSharksFan

More 1OV picks please
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
The part I didn't like was Polak was clearly turtling and still had his gloves on and Nurse kept pummeling.

Sharks are furious from all Twitter reports and post game interview.

What we're most upset about is that there's a good chance Nurse doesn't even get suspended from this, since there was no instigator penalty on the play :facepalm:

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Just thought the original thread would have been enough. Now it was just evolved into people making completely unreasonable statements like the one you just included in your post.

It just has that feeling.

- everyone talking about the rematch of when they next play.
- Sharks players hinting that Oiler skilled players need to watch out. ( brad may put a bounty on Steve Moore after the cheap shot on Naslund)
- dirty , reckless incident instigated the whole thing and gets blown out of proportion.

Obviously hoping nobody gets injured like Moore.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Just saw the replay ...What the heck is Nurse thinking ?? Ridiculous.

It's a little weird how much Couture hates Hall, Eberle and RNH.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
What's th history ? It's not like there's a team rivalry

Over the years it just gets brought up here and there that Couture doesn't like the attention Edmonton's skilled players get from the media. I don't know why he cares or is surprised when Hall and RNH were 1st overall picks.

Edit: I should add that it's typical Couture stuff. He spent his junior career having a one sided rivalry with Tavares too.

This is also a guy that on the day Bin Laden was killed tweeted that a Canadian must have done it. He doesn't seem like the brightest person...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad