HFAvs Ranks: The 50 Greatest Avalanche Players - #4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the fourth greatest Avalanche player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Results so far:

#1 - Joe Sakic (88.9%)
#2 - Peter Forsberg (55.7%)
#3 - Patrick Roy (89.6%)

======================
I've had an idea. Let's decide who the greatest players in Avalanche history are.
  • You decide what "greatest" means.
  • Only judge players based on their Avalanche careers. This means no extra points for Sakic's time with the Nordiques, or Ray Bourque's time with the Bruins.
  • Poll will be open for a few days.
  • Each time you vote, suggest a player who should be added for the next round.
  • If there's no consensus on who should be added I'll just pick the next player who's played the most games.
  • Here's a list of everyone: Colorado Avalanche all-time player list at hockeydb.com
1686411824618.png
Milan Hejduk
(1998-2013)
1686411872371.png
Adam Foote
(1995-04, 2008-11)
1686411891069.png
Gabriel Landeskog
(2011-present)
1686411929465.png
Nathan MacKinnon
(2013-present)
1686411957085.png
Mikko Rantanen
(2016-present)
b.png
Rob Blake (2000-2006)
1686411988152.png
Cale Makar (2018-present)
Games Played: 1020Games played: 760Games played: 738Games played: 709Games played: 490Games played: 322Games played:
Goals: 375Goals: 48Goals: 248Goals: 284Goals: 220Goals: 62Goals: 65
Assists: 430Assists: 173Assists: 323Assists: 475Assists: 293Assists: 146Assists: 181
Points: 805Points: 221Points: 571Points: 759Points: 513Points: 208Points: 246
Awards: Stanley Cup (2001), Rocket Richard Trophy (2003)Awards: Stanley Cup (1996, 2001)Awards: Stanley Cup (2022), Calder Trophy (2012)Awards:
Stanley Cup (2022), Calder Trophy (2014), Lady Byng Trophy (2020)
Awards: Stanley Cup (2022)Awards: Stanley Cup (2001)Awards: Stanley Cup (2022), Conn Smythe Trophy (2022), Norris Trophy (2022)

====================

Blake has been the most common request, so he's on next. My apologies go to his headshot, hockeydb only has two pictures of him, both from the extremely 90s Kings era.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Since this one could actually go a number of different ways, I'm going to say the answer here is clearly MacKinnon. He's been the best and most productive forward on the team for the past six seasons. He's been productive, entertaining and successful enough and for long enough to surpass Hejduk.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Makar for me. Was the most integral part of the cup run and was the catalyst in turning this team from a playoff team to a contender. Also has the highest peak of any player outside of the 3 guys voted in before him.

Reactions: MacKaRant

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Makar for me. Was the most integral part of the cup run and was the catalyst in turning this team from a playoff team to a contender. Also has the highest peak of any player outside of the 3 guys voted in before him.
The bolded is true, but at the same time if Makar was drafted in '13 and then MacKinnon came after then that same argument could be used in MacKinnon's favor. Both were needed to win it all.

I think peak season is somewhat debatable too. MacKinnon's '18 and '20 seasons were very good.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Both MacK and Makar were equally important to win the cup. No way we win with Makar and no MacK. Makar definitely put us over the top, but that's only because he came later.

MacK has dug this team out of the shitter one we were freed of Duchene and he was able to completely take the reigns as the team's leading forward.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
All respect to MacKinnon for his longer years of service and his elite talent, but Makar is just such a difference makar on the backend.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Both MacK and Makar were equally important to win the cup. No way we win with Makar and no MacK. Makar definitely put us over the top, but that's only because he came later.

MacK has dug this team out of the shitter one we were freed of Duchene and he was able to completely take the reigns as the team's leading forward.
I mean both were super good I'm not saying otherwise. But Makar was the best player on that run bar none, arguably the best Cup run by a dman sine Leetch. We need both to win for sure, but I just think while Mack is obviously an elite player in his own right Makar is just a special talent on D that it puts him over Mack for me.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
This is a hard one for me to since Makar is my 3rd all time favourite player and only narrowly behind Sakic at 2. Mack sits in my clear third tier that’s a real pick’em with Foppa and Roy

Even for me the answer to this today is still Mack. He showed again this year this is still his team. While Makar’s 21-22 season is better than any season Mack has had, Mack still has the better legacy to date. I suspect one day we may see Makar as the very clear #2 on this list with a legit chance to challenge Sakic for #1 but that day is not today

Edit: Also on the adding Tanguay train. Won a Cup, game 7 heroics, played 9 seasons including a few years with Landy/Mack/Condor, consistent 65+ point player in his first stint and a fantastic playmaking winger which is a rare skill set

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Mikko is a really tough vote for me despite how talented he is - I want to believe he’s gonna be around long term but if somehow he wasn’t an Av after his contract is up, there’s a ton of other guys that were Avs for 8+ years that I would put in front of him.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's just so speculative now when you're getting into guys who haven't finished their careers yet, or are just getting started. I'm going to have to take the totality of past performances into account, instead of projecting what might or might not happen. In that case, MacKinnon gets the nod. I think if we redid this in 15 years, Makar probably finishes above him, but we're doing this in 2023, so for now it's Nate Dogg until somebody steps up to replicate his performance as a top 5 player in the league.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It's just so speculative now when you're getting into guys who haven't finished their careers yet, or are just getting started. I'm going to have to take the totality of past performances into account, instead of projecting what might or might not happen. In that case, MacKinnon gets the nod. I think if we redid this in 15 years, Makar probably finishes above him, but we're doing this in 2023, so for now it's Nate Dogg until somebody steps up to replicate his performance as a top 5 player in the league.

My thoughts exactly

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
It's just so speculative now when you're getting into guys who haven't finished their careers yet, or are just getting started. I'm going to have to take the totality of past performances into account, instead of projecting what might or might not happen.

I think I've been interpreting "greatest" different than others. I'm less concerned about longevity, but more amount peaks and level of impact in our three Cup successes. That's the beauty of @Ceremony's prompt, we can ask choose what we value the most and what it means to be "greatest."

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Rantanen's been a comfortably PPG+ player for the past six seasons. He's been part of the best line in team history, and now he has the third most goals in a single season for the Avalanche. Based purely on numbers, it's hard to put many in front of him.

This is why I left it as open ended as I did. I wanted arguments.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Rantanen's been a comfortably PPG+ player for the past six seasons. He's been part of the best line in team history, and now he has the third most goals in a single season for the Avalanche. Based purely on numbers, it's hard to put many in front of him.

Mikko never played on Foppas line

:sarcasm:

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018

Third most?
He has most.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
At what point does the legend Shjon Podein get added? Still can't believe he wore his whole get-up for 24+ hours after winning the Cup. That's gotta count for something towards greatest Avs status.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad