OT: HF Jets Lounge - Lynk's Loveline (w/ special guest Dr. Bigplay41)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
WTF, they were serving that at the Wendy's in Brandon? :laugh:

Had I known, I would have made the trip to see it. Apparently, all they're doing is removing the advertisement and references to it. One of the people there said, "It's just a triple triple burger."

Edit: Also, I am not a fanboy in any stretch of the imagination. I go where the games are. However, MS is proving very obtuse with their new console, so I will not be buying one anytime soon, if at all. Sony will likely see my money for a PS4, but not until at least the first year has passed.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I'm a HUGE Xbox fanboy and yet didn't flinch when pre-ordering my PS4.

Samesies, but I heard Sony used the same development company for the PS4 controllers and they now have the grooves in the thumbsticks like the 360's. So all should be good.

I guess it is just me progressing through the generations of playstations but I don't even really notice the PS3 controller in my hand it feels so natural to me.
For example the digital directional buttons should be where they are because that is where they were on the first PS1 controllers that I learned to control Lara on.

The Xbox controller feels awkward to me but that is just because I have very very rarely ever used it. I'm guessing the opposite would be true for people that have primarily played on that console for the past ten years.
I think I would be a mess at QTEs if I played both systems.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I guess it is just me progressing through the generations of playstations but I don't even really notice the PS3 controller in my hand it feels so natural to me.
For example the digital directional buttons should be where they are because that is where they were on the first PS1 controllers that I learned to control Lara on.

The Xbox controller feels awkward to me but that is just because I have very very rarely ever used it. I'm guessing the opposite would be true for people that have primarily played on that console for the past ten years.
I think I would be a mess at QTEs if I played both systems.

It was really just the thumbsticks that did it for me. Whenever I would play NHL on it I would find it difficult to keep full control without the indentation in the middle as on the 360.

I imagine I could've gotten used to it over time like anything else, but the few times I used it I didn't enjoy it fully.

The ones for the PS4 look pretty solid though.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The PS4 controller def. improved a lot and won't be a disadvantage anymore.

I'm 7 hours in The Last of Us and I'd give it a 9.5/10. Great game

Diatidialga

Sep 13, 2011
Winnipeg
So I finally decided to give Metal Gearn Rising a go after it had been sitting, collecting dust for 2 months, it's actually really good

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The PS4 controller def. improved a lot and won't be a disadvantage anymore.

I'm 7 hours in The Last of Us and I'd give it a 9.5/10. Great game

I'm six hours in and enjoying it.

Playing through survivalist and survivalist+ difficulties is going to be tough. I find myself challenged on normal. The combat is very unforgiving.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I'm six hours in and enjoying it.

Playing through survivalist and survivalist+ difficulties is going to be tough. I find myself challenged on normal. The combat is very unforgiving.

Actually, I was pretty surprised how "hard" the combat moments are. I'm playing normal and it really is demanding. A good thing to see! Blockbuster games tended to be too easy lately.

I had soo much trouble with the clickers at the beginning but I realized that you can just ignore them and walk away very carefully. I thought they'd get aware of me when I get too close.

Another funny thing That sometimes kills the athmosphere is when you're in combat and try to sneak from one place over to another, the AI doesnt recognize Ellie as an enemy and she stomps like an elephant just next to me when I sneaked and covered my ass off. Its actually surprisingly funny sometimes and made me laugh a couple of times. :D

But I guess it would be annoying as hell if theyd attack her everytime they see her.

Aela*

All I know is I want a couple of games that each console has, and I'll probably buy a PC because a) I can get a lot of games for PC that aren't on other consoles b) graphics are generally better c) you can use a PC for other stuff.

Thief 4 looks really good, I want to get it. Even watching an LP for each game so I can catch up with the plot lol.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
All I know is I want a couple of games that each console has, and I'll probably buy a PC because a) I can get a lot of games for PC that aren't on other consoles b) graphics are generally better c) you can use a PC for other stuff.

Thief 4 looks really good, I want to get it. Even watching an LP for each game so I can catch up with the plot lol.

For the price it takes to keep a PC in "gaming shape" you can buy both consoles and have a pile of money left over by the end of the generation. PCs that do everything BUT play games well are super cheap. PC's that play games well are as expensive as both new consoles combined.

I just got tired of forever upgrading my video card, not installing apps to help my media centre because they affect my game performance, and other general maintanence headaches.
Now I let my PC be a media center, DLing slave and I don't get paranoid every time my son wants to install a minecraft mod or robot lox crap.

But I understand where you are coming from.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
For the price it takes to keep a PC in "gaming shape" you can buy both consoles and have a pile of money left over by the end of the generation. PCs that do everything BUT play games well are super cheap. PC's that play games well are as expensive as both new consoles combined.

I just got tired of forever upgrading my video card, not installing apps to help my media centre because they affect my game performance, and other general maintanence headaches.
Now I let my PC be a media center, DLing slave and I don't get paranoid every time my son wants to install a minecraft mod or robot lox crap.

But I understand where you are coming from.

Exactly.

That's why I switched from being a PC gamer to being a Macbook-User and Xbox/Playstation gamer. It works so much better for me for the long haul.

*edit*

I just finished The Last of Us.... it's damn awesome. Seriously, everyone should play this game. If you have a PS3, buy it or borrow it. If you don't have a PS3, borrow it from a friend and buy the game. Just play it.

IMO it may is the best game this console-generation has produced. It certainly is one of my top titles this generation, alongside Mass Effect 2 and 3 and Heavy Rain.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Console-Confusion.jpg

heh

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

The only really bad one of the three is the 24hr online checkin.

My son provided the best reason to me for this issue.

He often travels to his grandparents for weekends and summer holidays.
Hr would only be able to play his console for the first day that he arrived. After that it is worthless.

A lot of people own a cottage and will bring their console with them. Same problem.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Tonly really bad one of the three is the 24hr online checkin.

My son provided the best reason to me for this issue.

He often travels to his grandparents for weekends and summer holidays.
Hr would only be able to play his console for the first day that he arrived. After that it is worthless.

A lot of people own a cottage and will bring their console with them. Same problem.

No way :D The worst one is the resell and trade issue. I'm only able to play a game like The Last Of Us because I can buy it for 59 Euro and resell it 3-5 days after for 50-55 Euro. I couldn't pay 60 Euro a month to keep playing new titles. And of course, the prices for the games will go up a little.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Guys how does one add a tag line under your user name? I know it's a stupid question :laugh:

Click "User CP" the first option on the top red header at the left of the page. Then click "Edit Your Details" at the top left under Your Profile. It's the description box :)

EDIT: Nice job, ninja.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
No way :D The worst one is the resell and trade issue. I'm only able to play a game like The Last Of Us because I can buy it for 59 Euro and resell it 3-5 days after for 50-55 Euro. I couldn't pay 60 Euro a month to keep playing new titles. And of course, the prices for the games will go up a little.

I have never sold or traded a game ever but I do buy the odd old used game so it does affect me slightly. I also wonder if new game prices will drop as quickly when they aren't competing against used copies of themselves. I would guess not.
It is crazy that I could buy a new copy of tomb raider for $20 this week. I still consider that title as a new release but e price needs to be competitive against used copies.

Saying that, I bought a physical copy of Last Of Us specifically so that I could trade it in if I didn't want to hold onto it.

No chance I am offloading it.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I normally never take advantage of trading games in.....

That is until I bought Assassin's creed 3. I beat it as fast as I could, skipping all the cut-scenes because of how terrible the story was and promptly got rid of it.

So it is nice knowing I have that option in my back pocket.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I have never sold or traded a game ever but I do buy the odd old used game so it does affect me slightly. I also wonder if new game prices will drop as quickly when they aren't competing against used copies of themselves. I would guess not.
It is crazy that I could buy a new copy of tomb raider for $20 this week. I still consider that title as a new release but e price needs to be competitive against used copies.

Saying that, I bought a physical copy of Last Of Us specifically so that I could trade it in if I didn't want to hold onto it.

No chance I am offloading it.

I don't keep games like The Last Of Us or Heavy Rain or Mass Effect. Games you normally don't play for a long time (like NHL or FIFA especially in Europe ^^, Multiplayer-Games). As a student, I can only buy so many games full price a year.

Maybe that'll change if I start to earn money.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I normally never take advantage of trading games in.....

That is until I bought Assassin's creed 3. I beat it as fast as I could, skipping all the cut-scenes because of how terrible the story was and promptly got rid of it.

So it is nice knowing I have that option in my back pocket.

I didn't mind the AC3 story too much, I just hated Connor. What were they thinking when they hired his voice actor. On top of that he is a dick 1/2 the time but is willinng to run around doing ridiculous errands for the homesteaders.

On the other hand the hunting and ship combat were a lot of fun.

I still plan on returning to the game in order to 100% sync all the missions (for the plat trophy) but haven't been in any rush to do so.

There are a few games I should really have returned ASAP though. Prototype, FF13, and Skyrim are examples that come to mind immediately.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I don't keep games like The Last Of Us or Heavy Rain or Mass Effect. Games you normally don't play for a long time (like NHL or FIFA especially in Europe ^^, Multiplayer-Games). As a student, I can only buy so many games full price a year.

Maybe that'll change if I start to earn money.

However with Last Of Us there is a lot of hours of gameplay before it can sit on a shelf.

Four playthroughs (normal, normal+, survival, survival+) plus 40ish hours of MP to get both faction trophies.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
Hi folks,

I had my 18 month old Dell laptop die on me a couple of months ago. After looking around, I just picked up a new 2013 MacBook Air 11". I'm really enjoying it. Some diff in the weight of this thing versus the 15" Dell.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
However with Last Of Us there is a lot of hours of gameplay before it can sit on a shelf.

Four playthroughs (normal, normal+, survival, survival+) plus 40ish hours of MP to get both faction trophies.

I don't have enough motivation to get through a story game twice. Maybe in a year or something like that but I wouldn't want do to it "just for the fun" because the story is the biggest part for me in a game like that. When am I supposed to play FIFA or NHL? :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Click "User CP" the first option on the top red header at the left of the page. Then click "Edit Your Details" at the top left under Your Profile. It's the description box :)

EDIT: Nice job, ninja.

Thanks Brogosian for some reason right after I posted I figured it out :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad