Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

HF Habs: 2024 Habs Popularity Prospect rankings #9​

I know you're frustrated your guy is not going higher, but maybe he could try actually being an actual good pro hockey player. His PO performance trying to pad assists while accumulating minuses was not comforting,

Reactions: Redux91

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I know you're frustrated your guy is not going higher, but maybe he could try actually being an actual good pro hockey player. His PO performance trying to pad assists while accumulating minuses was not comforting,

Its a mistake to judge a prospect solely on stats.

Already you made 2 big fouls, you're saying his stat padding when in fact he was getting his pts in decisive moments... He's got 1 empty net assist thats it.

Second foul, assuming he was bad because of the +/-? you serious,...?

He's going to surprise alot of people this year.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The big cutoff is here.
Definitely not. It is still crazy how people do not understand the level of competition. Kapanen just finished his 2nd pro season in Liiga and his 2nd half was amazing. Comparing to Beck who is a similar player, he was playing in OHL as 20y old. If Beck reaches 50 points in AHL this year, I would assume everybody would be happy. This is basically what Kapanen achieved in Liiga already.
Even more blatant with Hage. Jesus, kid played USHL and is No.5 prospect. I understand "new toy" effect and I like his potential, but it would require 2-3 years of good development for him to reach the level of Kapanen. Slaf had 10 pts in Liiga just couple years ago and Kapanen had 34 and additional 14 pts in PO.
Basically the same applies to Engstrom, I am slightly more concerned about his transition to NA, but the skill is there definitely.

Reactions: DAChampion

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Definitely not. It is still crazy how people do not understand the level of competition. Kapanen just finished his 2nd pro season in Liiga and his 2nd half was amazing. Comparing to Beck who is a similar player, he was playing in OHL as 20y old. If Beck reaches 50 points in AHL this year, I would assume everybody would be happy. This is basically what Kapanen achieved in Liiga already.
Even more blatant with Hage. Jesus, kid played USHL and is No.5 prospect. I understand "new toy" effect and I like his potential, but it would require 2-3 years of good development for him to reach the level of Kapanen. Slaf had 10 pts in Liiga just couple years ago and Kapanen had 34 and additional 14 pts in PO.
Basically the same applies to Engstrom, I am slightly more concerned about his transition to NA, but the skill is there definitely.
The question is not who’s the best right know, but who’s gonna have the best career. I would be surprise if Kapanen is more then a 4th line player while Hage is probably a top 6 player

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
My pick here will be Adam Engstrom followed closely by Kapanen & Xhekaj. Engstom a 6'2" LD offensive rushing 2-way defenseman capable of playing both LD & RD with ease. Gotta like his potential. But when is the last time we hit on a Swede? I'm hoping that we finally nailed one. Still 2-3 years away though.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Enstrom should have been #8 before Beck. Engstrom is a better player. His problem is he play a position where there are 4 or 5 guys before him in the ranking. Engstrom have a place in the NHL, with the Habs or another team. Beck have a spot at #4 or #3 center in 1 or 2 years. He's almost alone for the spot but that doesn't mean he will have that spot. Beck is #8 because of the need for a 3C. He's projected to the replacement of Jake Evans and this perspective isn't exciting.

Last edited:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

Already you made 2 big fouls, you're saying his stat padding when in fact he was getting his pts in decisive moments... He's got 1 empty net assist thats it.

you have Mesar ahead of every prospect besides Demidov. i'd love to hear your reasoning as to why that is

Reactions: Big Lurk

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Am I judging solely on stats or using them to express what is obvious?

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Enstrom should have been #8 before Beck. Engstrom is a better player. His problem is he play a position where there are 4 or 5 guys before him in the ranking. Engstrom have a place in the NHL, with the Habs or another team. Beck have a spot at #4 or #3 center in 1 or 2 years. He's almost alone for the spot but that doesn't mean he will have that spot. Beck is #8 because of the need for a 3C. He's projected to the replacement of Jake Evans and this perspective isn't exciting.
I think that some of these prospects are so close in ranking that it's almost a coin flip to pick between 2-3-4 of them. I may give C & RD more importance but in the end it's who we guess will hit their peak. Some have their reservations on European D as the Norlinder fiasco left a bad taste. Others before him as well. At the end of the day we should be thrilled that we believe we have prospects with a high upside. I know when we look back to prior years our prospect ratings were probably just an effort in futility. I like both Owen Beck & Adam Engstrom. Either 8 or 9 is fine.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I think Mesar is really underated nowadays. I can't buy in Engstrom's hype because we've had so many swedes who were supposed to be the big think totally flop.

So yeah, I'm going with Mesar.
Add Rorher

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I think Mesar is really underated nowadays. I can't buy in Engstrom's hype because we've had so many swedes who were supposed to be the big think totally flop.

So yeah, I'm going with Mesar.
Add Rorher
I went Kapanen, just because.

Regarding Mesar vs Engstrom, in my view and of many others here, Engstrom had shown a lot more in training camp last year than Mesar, so there is that.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The question is not who’s the best right know, but who’s gonna have the best career. I would be surprise if Kapanen is more then a 4th line player while Hage is probably a top 6 player
Right, it is about potential and probabilities of reaching it. I think Kapanen could be 4th line player right now and he just turns 21 in couple weeks. I see him like this:
4th liner 80% probability
3rd liner 35%
2nd liner 5%
For Hage it would be something like 40-20-10 and maybe 2% chance of 1st line potential.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I like Engstom here.

I'm going to have a tough time picking between Dobes, Xhekaj and the Bog with my next pick.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I like Engstom here.

I'm going to have a tough time picking between Dobes, Xhekaj and the Bog with my next pick.

I would have gone Struble or Barron after Engstrom here, but I think they aren't calder eligible anymore which means they are off this list, so I'm gonna go Kapanen after Engstrom is in. His last half of the year and worlds was too good to ignore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad