• Riley Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Is half the fanbase of montreal related to Price? What did people do when Price was shit and sinking the team? Some defended him 100x worst than i am Mesar. It was business as usual then.

I dont need to be related to Mesar to appreciate his exceptional talent and elite skills. Why should i not be happy that for once we found a player who could take us to the promise land? Leadership, skills, IQ. Aside from a weak shot, hes got it all.

Since day 1 people were making up false narratives.

We have to defend whats right.

Yeah i agree about waiting this is what iv been doing for the most part but its hard to stay silent when posters make bs claims that he dint produce offence when that was what he was doing all year long.

And Treb is just sheeting on him non stop and from his last post i can only assume he knows something more than us.

Hey @Treb tell Hughes to watch some TAPES!!

I don't have any source in the Habs organization, you are being conspirational.

Mesar taking us to the promised land? He can't even take a junior team or U20 team to the promised land.

He does have a lot of skill and IQ, but not even the most in our prospect pool. Same thing with leadership. Couple that with his weaknesses and it's not really a stretch to have him at 13 (or 12 like HFhabs does).

What is a stretch is putting him top5 (even top3) with what the other prospects have accomplished. He's a late first who had a slow development curve post-draft while others have taken huge steps forward.

I actually can't wait for Mesar to go in the ranking so I can go back to not talking about him in my polls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shutdown

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
At this point, even though I don't have a lot of faith in him (but hope he can make me eat crows), it has to be Mesar.

Add Logan Sawyer.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Is half the fanbase of montreal related to Price? What did people do when Price was shit and sinking the team?

Price cost the Habs the Playoffs in 2008, when he sank against Philadelphia.

I blamed Gainey for placing him there. Price wasn't ready.

Reactions: jordy

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Price cost the Habs the Playoffs in 2008, when he sank against Philadelphia.

I blamed Gainey for placing him there. Price wasn't ready.
I blame it partly to Don Waddell, who f***ed Gainey by not trading Hossa and Hedberg. Gainey traded Huet, knowing that Hedberg was coming in the trade. Last second, he goes to Pens for a joke of a return…

Gainey had to eliminate cap to fit in both Hedberg and Hossa, thus having to sell fast on Huet. We got royally f***ed.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I blame it partly to Don Waddell, who f***ed Gainey by not trading Hossa and Hedberg. Gainey traded Huet, knowing that Hedberg was coming in the trade. Last second, he goes to Pens for a joke of a return…

Gainey had to eliminate cap to fit in both Hedberg and Hossa, thus having to sell fast on Huet. We got royally f***ed.

Waddel's poor judgment arguably cost the Habs a Cup in 2008.

Still, Gainey was too naive and trusting. Think of how he lost Hainsey or was it Beauchemin to waivers. Silly.

Reactions: Gustave

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Is this the first time that we’ve had the « luxury » of having a first round pick (Mesar D+2) outside our top 10 list? Pretty unreal. In the past, even if they were not trending well, we’d rank our first round picks high based on pedigree alone.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
Not disappointed Flo-Jack went 11th. I had Bogdan Konyushkov there with Jakub Dobeš right there too. Still going with Bogdan again.
& really, what is the love fest with Mesar? I hope he's part of a package out of dodge.........

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Not disappointed Flo-Jack went 11th. I had Bogdan Konyushkov there with Jakub Dobeš right there too. Still going with Bogdan again.
& really, what is the love fest with Mesar? I hope he's part of a package out of dodge.........

Mes is a former first round pick. Had he been a 3rd rounder, he'd be getting ranked around the 15-17 mark, IMO. We'd also have lots of fans wondering why exactly he was given a pro deal without having earned it. Never understood the timing of that one.

Reactions: Redux91

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Mesar has been complaining he miss the pro game since joining the OHL. Guy wanted to play in the AHL at 18. Well he'll play at 20 now, and he'll have the opportunity to finally show it. If he burns the league from the start it won't take long for the narrative to change on him.

Reactions: overlords

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
+14 for Florian... :laugh:

Great on him, hope he keeps up the progression in Laval.
I suspect when all is said and done, Florian will have had a more impactful NHL career, whether with the Canadiens or some other team, than at least 4 players ‘voted’ above him in this exercise.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I suspect when all is said and done, Florian will have had a more impactful NHL career, whether with the Canadiens or some other team, than at least 4 players ‘voted’ above him in this exercise.
I agree, but those rankings, at least on this board, have a great deal of the "ceiling" component people perceive. I understand it's why him, Koivu, Sawyer, Tuch and several other with more chances of reaching the league are rated lower.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree, but those rankings, at least on this board, have a great deal of the "ceiling" component people perceive. I understand it's why him, Koivu, Sawyer, Tuch and several other with more chances of reaching the league are rated lower.
Well said. But at least to this writer, it’s Florian’s ‘ceiling’ or upside that is so alluring.

As I previously posted, I had little knowledge nor expectations of this player when he was initially drafted. Out of curiosity, I started to watch Bulldogs' games ( well over 40 games) and quickly came to the realization that this kid projects as something much more than a bottom line physical intimidator. He has above above average straightforward speed and offensive skills/vision that allowed him to play on his team's first powerplay unit ( the power play actually ran through Florian) and to be an effective penalty killer.

His reputation as a menacing on-ice intimidator, is misplaced (similar to most fans' misguided expectations of Mailloux's physical game) if not predictable, as Florian will make and succeed in the NHL based on his advanced hockey skills. Frankly, from what I observed, the younger Xhekaj's on-ice physicality is somewhat overrated.

Like most junior players, Florian has to get quicker. Hockey is not a 200 foot race but is played in spurts of 8 to 12 feet where players need quickness,, balance and explosiveness to gain separation that will allow them to have the space and time to be able to beat their one on one checks, make a pass, receive a pass , take a shot or be the first to a rebound. This is the obvious gap in Florian's game. If he gains that required level of quickness, Florian will be a core player for this team going forward.

What was even more impressive was Florian's level of play in his limited play for Laval. He displayed the level of quickness and intensity that provided me with the confidence that he will be able to succeed at the next level.

All I can say is if we really have 10 or more prospects who are better or more promising that Florian Xhekaj, our future is secure and bright. Very bright indeed.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Mesar is probably the worst developed player by this management. Given ELC surprising early, sent to OHL even if it was his least prefered destination. We will see how he handles AHL, I still think his ceiling is similar to Matias Maccelli, now he needs to prove his attitude.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Mesar is probably the worst developed player by this management. Given ELC surprising early, sent to OHL even if it was his least prefered destination. We will see how he handles AHL, I still think his ceiling is similar to Matias Maccelli, now he needs to prove his attitude.
The problem with Laval is that he couldn’t handle the size and strength of competition of the AHL. Those two years gave him a smoother way to play NA game and mature more physically. It was the right way to bring him up I think.

If he’s ready to tear down the AHL then so be it, it should be easy if he’s that special. He needs to play like Roy did and collect the points and get involved in the play. We are all hoping for that, it will make the Habs better and stronger.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Mesar going ahead of a KHL 1D on a very good team is... huh.

Is this the first time that we’ve had the « luxury » of having a first round pick (Mesar D+2) outside our top 10 list? Pretty unreal. In the past, even if they were not trending well, we’d rank our first round picks high based on pedigree alone.
Its not a luxury it was just a bad pick. He doesn't make any top 5 league wide I think.

Reactions: overlords and Doc5

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mesar going ahead of a KHL 1D on a very good team is... huh.
Most of this board, including myself, has little means to evaluate Volokhin.

I don't even know how the KHL compares to the AHL since the sanctions war started.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Most of this board, including myself, has little means to evaluate Volokhin.

I don't even know how the KHL compares to the AHL since the sanctions war started.
The KHL and MHL are some of the easier leagues to watch. Bogdan Konyushkov is the KHL 1D. Volokhin has played 1A goaltending in the MHL, albeit he did really good but he got outdone by Zavragin pretty easily.

Reactions: overlords

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The KHL and MHL are some of the easier leagues to watch. Bogdan Konyushkov is the KHL 1D. Volokhin has played 1A goaltending in the MHL, albeit he did really good but he got outdone by Zavragin pretty easily.

They're easy to watch if you make time to watch them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad