HF Board Update questions/issues thread

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Yea, I can also just enable my VPN but it's the principle of it. As someone who works in web development it grosses me out how much people let slide on the Internet. Remember when there was outrage about popups, the collective will of people pushing back and convincing browser providers to block popups killed that shit dead. Yet now we let 50 ads load on a page and in modals with tiny close icons and if anything it's getting worse. Pre roll ads. Intrusive full screen ads. Ads that add frames to pages. Ads that cause pages to be redrawn numerous times. It's grotesque. I mean look at that screenshot I took. There's like 6 of the same ad taking up 80% of the screen. HFBoards don't deserve my money for inflicting that shit on its users.
Adding to all of that, they place ads over where you navigate at the bottom, the site constantly refreshes and you lose your writing/spot you were reading. It truly is infuriating.

Reactions: McMetal

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Can we please get rid of the "Go For The Gold l" pop up ad on this forum? It frames the screen of my Android phone about every 20 seconds with little gold piece thingys and covers content. Completely annoying!

Reactions: McMetal

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Can we please get rid of the "Go For The Gold l" pop up ad on this forum? It frames the screen of my Android phone about every 20 seconds with little gold piece thingys and covers content. Completely annoying!
If you use Firefox on Android you can add extensions. So you can add in uBlock Origin and never see them. Or you can pony up the $12/year haha

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
I'm surprised anyone would run a forum where ads populate before content. This site is infested with pop-up ads. I'm about ready to hang it up and go elsewhere also. I think this site would have ran fine on draft day if not for all the ads!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm surprised anyone would run a forum where ads populate before content. This site is infested with pop-up ads. I'm about ready to hang it up and go elsewhere also. I think this site would have ran fine on draft day if not for all the ads!
Bro, that's like the entire internet for you not just this site. Use adblockers, don't use Apple products, and don't use this site on your phone and you are Gucci.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The best browsing experience is on the iPhone... not even close either.
I had an iPhone and iPad for like 10-12 years and I kept getting ads galore, Apple is the worst product when it comes to trying to block ads. That's my experience, I have switched over to everything Micro$oft and it has been such a breath of fresh air.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I had an iPhone and iPad for like 10-12 years and I kept getting ads galore, Apple is the worst product when it comes to trying to block ads. That's my experience, I have switched over to everything Micro$oft and it has been such a breath of fresh air.
I get no ads on my iphone now, even without an adblocker. Maybe it is a setting. I don't let any app track my usage and tone down all the cookies. What it struggles with is the live threads. Beyond that it works very well. Mac/PC... either one requires extensions at this point to block out the nonsense in my experience.

The difference between sponsored and not is quite stark as I've recently been reminded. :laugh:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The best browsing experience is on the iPhone... not even close either.
I disagree. I've a high end Windows laptop, an iPad, an iPhone and a mid range Chromebook.

When it comes to browsing the internet nothing comes close to a Chromebook. The OS takes almost no resources and is 100% optimized for the browser. Install the uBlock Origin extension and it blocks literally all ads, including Youtube/Google (and yes, HFBoards too). It's as fast and flawless as the internet can get today...and by far the cheapest hardware of the lot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I disagree. I've a high end Windows laptop, an iPad, an iPhone and a mid range Chromebook.

When it comes to browsing the internet nothing comes close to a Chromebook. The OS takes almost no resources and is 100% optimized for the browser. Install the uBlock Origin extension and it blocks literally all ads, including Youtube/Google (and yes, HFBoards too). It's as fast and flawless as the internet can get today...and by far the cheapest hardware of the lot.
I have not experienced a decent Chromebook in my entire life. Everyone I've tried always ends in the trash. TBF it has been a couple years.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I have not experienced a decent Chromebook in my entire life. Everyone I've tried always ends in the trash. TBF it has been a couple years.
The thing with Chromebooks is the cheap stuff really sucks and the high end stuff isn't worth it. If you get the chance to try one in the mid-range ~$600 (with a good keyboard and a nice screen) you'll love it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are there any Avs site where you don't get labeled a team hating bandwagoner for not joining in their circle jerks and kissing the team's ass other than here?
A retirement home for hockey fans?

E: No seriously, a big part of that is maturity and considering a lot of younger folks are predominately internet users that use forums like this one, you get a lot of that stupidity. There is a lot of dumb stuff on here, but it is definitely one of the better forums when it comes to exchanging ideas. Always cut off the foam and get to the clear broth.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I’ve started using Brave which is by far the best browser I’ve ever used. There are no ads without installing Adblock BUT for some reason it keeps telling me that an error has occurred when I try to login to HF lol

Maybe it’s just really dedicated to protecting me from the filth on this site

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
There's a good reason why I made this meme 3 years ago.
1000037122.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The thing with Chromebooks is the cheap stuff really sucks and the high end stuff isn't worth it. If you get the chance to try one in the mid-range ~$600 (with a good keyboard and a nice screen) you'll love it.
I would not trust Google with my life, they've been notorious for selling information and deleting anything that went against their own agenda during the Covid times. Pretty evil company if you ask me.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro and even though it is clearly overpriced, it is pretty damn amazing with the upper echelons of technology, smoothness, and overall functionality. Highly recommend if you ever decide to upgrade.

I’ve started using Brave which is by far the best browser I’ve ever used. There are no ads without installing Adblock BUT for some reason it keeps telling me that an error has occurred when I try to login to HF lol

Maybe it’s just really dedicated to protecting me from the filth on this site
I have the same error, you can only log in at the main screen of HFB. If you are under the HFAvs or within a certain thread, the error pops up.

Reactions: BrickNHL

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I would not trust Google with my life, they've been notorious for selling information and deleting anything that went against their own agenda during the Covid times. Pretty evil company if you ask me.

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro and even though it is clearly overpriced, it is pretty damn amazing with the upper echelons of technology, smoothness, and overall functionality. Highly recommend if you ever decide to upgrade.

I have the same error, you can only log in at the main screen of HFB. If you are under the HFAvs or within a certain thread, the error pops up.
Just stay away from those new Snapdragon laptops and anything with ARM64. Maybe one day it'll be good, but it's horrible right now. Also the Copilot AI shit is buggy, dangerous and completely unnecessary.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

Oh wow, that worked, thanks!

Now every thread I click on is fine except this one where it logs me out hahaha

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just stay away from those new Snapdragon laptops and anything with ARM64. Maybe one day it'll be good, but it's horrible right now. Also the Copilot AI shit is buggy, dangerous and completely unnecessary.
If I ever get anything else in the future, I think I want an MSI laptop but they are ugly AF.
Oh wow, that worked, thanks!

Now every thread I click on is fine except this one where it logs me out hahaha
Try to F5 or reload the thread when logged in, it should work. It is the same bug I have as well because I go through random threads and it shows I'm logged out when I clearly logged in like 3 minutes prior and when I reload it, it shows my beauty of an avatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad