Hextall's moves

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What I meant to convey was Hextall should offer Schenn a short term contract, like the bridge contract.
That will give Schenn a chance to show this years production is not his ceiling.
I do not favor a long term deal until he repeats this years production.

If Schenn is unwilling, I would trade him, hopefully getting another more established top 6 forward.

But that makes no sense. You want the to do a bridge contract...which is typically 2-3 years. Then Schenn is a UFA and can walk for nothing. That is the absolute WORST thing that could happen.

Signing Schenn long term is not an issue. Signing Schenn to a long term deal worth 6 million is...but Hextall will never offer that.

Again, using the 1million = 10 points ratio, signing Schenn to a 5-5.25 million deal is fair. That puts him in the 50-53 point range a year which is realistic. But as I said, last year if we signed him to a 5 million deal with having a career high 47 points, people would have hated it. A year later, it would look great.

There is always risk and reward.

Side note, it's also,why a bunch of us wand Ghost signed long term to a 4-4.5 million dollar deal. If HF keeps putting up 50-70 points, the cost keeps going up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But that makes no sense. You want the to do a bridge contract...which is typically 2-3 years. Then Schenn is a UFA and can walk for nothing. That is the absolute WORST thing that could happen.

Signing Schenn long term is not an issue. Signing Schenn to a long term deal worth 6 million is...but Hextall will never offer that.

Again, using the 1million = 10 points ratio, signing Schenn to a 5-5.25 million deal is fair. That puts him in the 50-53 point range a year which is realistic. But as I said, last year if we signed him to a 5 million deal with having a career high 47 points, people would have hated it. A year later, it would look great.

There is always risk and reward.

Side note, it's also,why a bunch of us wand Ghost signed long term to a 4-4.5 million dollar deal. If HF keeps putting up 50-70 points, the cost keeps going up.

You sign him long-term to 4/5 years or you take 1 year in arbitration and assess his long-term standing next year. There's no other option.

PensBrony 6 9*

The second Manning signs the team gets worse. Luckily it seems likely that even if the trash does stay on the roster, he won't be playing because there's enough healthy defensemen in front of him. Best case scenario is he goes to the ECHL where he belongs, I don't think he could even push any of the AHL defensemen out of their spots.

The hate towards him was warranted at one point but he played pretty solidly towards the end of the season and through the playoffs. He's nothing special, but he generally makes simple, safe plays. He wasn't the problem. Not saying he's what you want ideally or anything but people using him as a scapegoat when almost everyone else failed to do their jobs is completely unfair (especially the goalie who makes 6 times what Brandon Manning was making and in turn had much higher expectations). He came in in a crisis and, despite having growing pains, ended up doing his job for the most part, which was to kill time and get the puck out of the zone safely. I don't know what you expected from him but I guess it's more than you expected from Mason, MacDonald, Streit, Giroux, etc. because they all contributed a lot more to that playoff loss than Manning and had much higher expectations, yet no one dares to criticize them. They'd rather pick on a guy playing in his first full season who plays like 15 minutes a night. The hero worship on here is pathetic sometimes. I'd much rather have him playing every night than a guy like Streit.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The hate towards him was warranted at one point but he played pretty solidly towards the end of the season and through the playoffs. He's nothing special, but he generally makes simple, safe plays. He wasn't the problem. Not saying he's what you want ideally or anything but people using him as a scapegoat when almost everyone else failed to do their jobs is completely unfair (especially the goalie who makes 6 times what Brandon Manning was making and in turn had much higher expectations). He came in in a crisis and, despite having growing pains, ended up doing his job for the most part, which was to kill time and get the puck out of the zone safely. I don't know what you expected from him but I guess it's more than you expected from Mason, MacDonald, Streit, Giroux, etc. because they all contributed a lot more to that playoff loss than Manning and had much higher expectations, yet no one dares to criticize them. They'd rather pick on a guy playing in his first full season who plays like 15 minutes a night. The hero worship on here is pathetic sometimes. I'd much rather have him playing every night than a guy like Streit.
bingo we got a winner.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

It's pretty simple, my expectations are that everyone on the team has a use. Just at least one thing they're good at that gives them a reason for being on the team.

You can easily find that thing with almost every player on the roster. Even the players I want gone, like Streit, he can play on the PP even if all other aspects of his game decline. Read is nothing like he once was, but he can PK. Manning doesn't have that one thing, he serves no purpose. He's not good offensively, he's not a good pick mover, he's not good defensively. Not on the PP, not on the PK. Isn't a freight train like Gudas and isn't even a good fighter like the most useless goon.

The absolute best case scenario with him is that he doesn't **** you over too hard, because there's never a time when he's going to do something positive. So every shift he takes can either end in a neutral result or a negative one.

You'd rather he play than Streit? Well, as usual, you're saying stupid things. Everything that Streit sucks at, Manning sucks at too. As bad, or worse. Both suck defensively, but at least Streit can score a bit.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
It's pretty simple, my expectations are that everyone on the team has a use. Just at least one thing they're good at that gives them a reason for being on the team.

You can easily find that thing with almost every player on the roster. Even the players I want gone, like Streit, he can play on the PP even if all other aspects of his game decline. Read is nothing like he once was, but he can PK. Manning doesn't have that one thing, he serves no purpose. He's not good offensively, he's not a good pick mover, he's not good defensively. Not on the PP, not on the PK. Isn't a freight train like Gudas and isn't even a good fighter like the most useless goon.

The absolute best case scenario with him is that he doesn't **** you over too hard, because there's never a time when he's going to do something positive. So every shift he takes can either end in a neutral result or a negative one.

You'd rather he play than Streit? Well, as usual, you're saying stupid things. Everything that Streit sucks at, Manning sucks at too. As bad, or worse. Both suck defensively, but at least Streit can score a bit.
Manning should get some credit for stepping up and playing his best hockey when it mattered most. Kid is a scrapper who made the most of what he had when many others didn't.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Mannings best hockey is being pretty much invisible on the ice? Yea. I think we should be shooting higher for this team.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Nice to see some ManDog support. I think he's going to surprise some folks this year in training camp. Come on, Striiker, you know you've watched that hit he had on Wilson at least 50 times...lol.

No, he's not a top-4 guy, but let's not write him off before camp even starts. If he comes in and plays better than Schultz, AMac, or whomever, give him the spot.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd be surprised if he's in the top 6 this year.

MDZ, Gudas, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, Ghost, and Provorov should all be in front of him. That's 7 guys so, even if there's a trade, best he can hope for is #7.

FLYERSG

Sep 27, 2014

MDZ, Gudas, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, Ghost, and Provorov should all be in front of him. That's 7 guys so, even if there's a trade, best Boxcar can hope for is #7.

Fixed.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

MDZ, Gudas, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, Ghost, and Provorov should all be in front of him. That's 7 guys so, even if there's a trade, best he can hope for is #7.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean we can't respect the effort he's made to make it to the NHL as a CHL UFA.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agreed, but that doesn't mean we can't respect the effort he's made to make it to the NHL as a CHL UFA.

I would rather respect it from afar. I don't hate him personally, I just can't stand watchin anyone who makes the Flyers worse. Manning, Lecavalier, whoever. I want them gone as soon as possible, but it's not like I'm sitting here hoping for a meteor to hit them.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Manning's fine as a number 7, imo. He's not as bad as his detractors around here would lead you to believe, but he's not a blossoming talent either.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Manning's fine as a number 7, imo. He's not as bad as his detractors around here would lead you to believe, but he's not a blossoming talent either.

I see him as a warm body. Can easily do better.

I wouldn't be surprised if before the season starts he is waived.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Manning is ideally in the AHL on a great team. He's a warm body on the rest, in the same vein that guys like Foster or Gervais or Krajicek were warm bodies for us. He's just younger.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

Yeah, he's a decent call up if we have injuries. I just want us to have a better option when healthy. Depth is always good, though and he can be our 7th.

PensBrony 6 9*

I disagree. I think Manning is better defensively than Streit at this point and Streit no longer contributes anything offensively. He just doesn't have the pubic plate for it anymore. He can't skate and he's pretty bad on the power play now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-nvUrs0Gu8#t=0m40s

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I disagree. I think Manning is better defensively than Streit at this point and Streit no longer contributes anything offensively. He just doesn't have the pubic plate for it anymore. He can't skate and he's pretty bad on the power play now.

If Streit can't play its Provorov's spot, not Mannings. That's how I see it. Manning only played because MDZ was out. He's back.

I'm thinking its: Ghost/Gudas/MDZ/Streit/Provorov/Schultz

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Both suck defensively and even if "Streit no longer contributes anything offensively", his "nothing" is still significantly more than Manning contributes.

Streit --- 6 goals, 17 assists, 23 points in 62 games

vs

Manning --- 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points, in 57 games

And to be clear, I want Streit gone as soon as possible too, but Manning is definitely the worse player.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
And if you have to dig into fancy analytical stats to make Manning seem decent, its even more telling that he needs to go.

Manning defenders will throw his corsi and fenwick out, while I don't think they aren't the worst tool, they tend to show he was "ok" at them. I'm not sure his relative stats show he's useful either.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I do think the Manning hatred is a bit much around here, but do you realize your arguments have degenerated into claiming Andrew MacDonald hero worship? That's how far off the rails you are.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Top players sucked in the playoffs that's forsure. Lots of players play hurt like Bergeron with a ****ed up lung and broken ribs and did way more then any of our top players. New year so let's hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad