Proposal: Hertl to COL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
To COL:
Tomas Hertl (50% retained)

To SJS:
2023 1st round pick
Sean Behrens
2022 5th* round pick (becomes 2022 3rd if Avalanche win the Stanley Cup)

Is that fair? Sharks can take back a cap dump like Ryan Murray if needed but putting Landeskog on LTIR should open up enough space for the Avs.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Terrible value, but expected given your opinions on the player.

What? I think he's a top 30 center in the NHL and an excellent player. I just don't think it makes sense for the Sharks to sign him to an eight-year contract given where they are in their competitive cycle.

Also this is right in line with previous high end rental trades like Hall to Arizona, Duchene to Columbus and Stone to Vegas. If Hertl gets traded you should expect a package like this coming back to the Sharks. Rentals don't return blue chip prospects especially when they have ironclad trade protection.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
To COL:
Tomas Hertl (50% retained)

To SJS:
2023 1st round pick
Sean Behrens
2022 5th* round pick (becomes 2022 3rd if Avalanche win the Stanley Cup)

Is that fair? Sharks can take back a cap dump like Ryan Murray if needed but putting Landeskog on LTIR should open up enough space for the Avs.
I think it's fine, but I'd replace the 5th/3rd with Martin Kaut

Reactions: AvsGuy and Hodge

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What? I think he's a top 30 center in the NHL and an excellent player. I just don't think it makes sense for the Sharks to sign him to an eight-year contract given where they are in their competitive cycle.

Also this is right in line with previous high end rental trades like Hall to Arizona, Duchene to Columbus and Stone to Vegas. If Hertl gets traded you should expect a package like this coming back to the Sharks. Rentals don't return blue chip prospects especially when they have ironclad trade protection.
Maybe they dont return Marco Rossi, but they atleast can Return a Justin Barron. This is the kind of deal id expect if Hertl used his 3 team list to force himself to Colorado. Given it seems like he wont do that, someone will make a better offer.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Maybe they dont return Marco Rossi, but they atleast can Return a Justin Barron. This is the kind of deal id expect if Hertl used his 3 team list to force himself to Colorado. Given it seems like he wont do that, someone will make a better offer.

I'm far from a prospect expert but Behrens looks better than Barron to me. The difference between the two is negligible enough that it's ridiculous for you to call a package with one of them "terrible value" while the other is acceptable.

I love Hertl and want to see him win a Cup so personally I would rather trade him to the Avs for 1st+Behrens (or Barron if you think he's so much better) than a crappy team like the Rangers even if 1st+Lundkvist or whatever is a slightly better return. Which I'm not even so sure it is tbh.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Behrens is neck and neck with Barron.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm far from a prospect expert but Behrens looks better than Barron to me. The difference between the two is negligible enough that it's ridiculous for you to call a package with one of them "terrible value" while the other is acceptable.

I love Hertl and want to see him win a Cup so personally I would rather trade him to the Avs for 1st+Behrens (or Barron if you think he's so much better) than a crappy team like the Rangers even if 1st+Lundkvist or whatever is a slightly better return. Which I'm not even so sure it is tbh.
Even with Barron id expect more, and from my limited knowledge I thought Barron was far ahead of the rest of the Avs system. I would be looking for another piece such as a reclamation type young guy to go along with the deal. Terrible was the wrong phrasing, but I dont think I would be very happy with the original deal, and given that Avs fans who reject every trade that isnt a steal are saying they want it says its not enough.

I love Hertl too, but you cant make trades based on that kind of stuff unless your making an under the table deal to resign him in the summer anyways.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even with Barron id expect more, and from my limited knowledge I thought Barron was far ahead of the rest of the Avs system. I would be looking for another piece such as a reclamation type young guy to go along with the deal. Terrible was the wrong phrasing, but I dont think I would be very happy with the original deal, and given that Avs fans who reject every trade that isnt a steal are saying they want it says its not enough.

I love Hertl too, but you cant make trades based on that kind of stuff unless your making an under the table deal to resign him in the summer anyways.

Sure if they're willing to throw in Kaut I'm not gonna say no but that dude looks like a long shot to be more than a fourth liner at this point so it doesn't change the overall value of the package very much.

Barron is almost two years older and playing pro hockey so he's definitely closer to NHL ready. Behrens is less of a sure thing but seems to have more home run potential which is the kind of prospect I would want the Sharks to target in a trade like this.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I am not super up on NCAA guys, so I missed that. I always see Avs fans talking about how important Barron is, so I thought he would be significantly more valuable.
Barron is a righty which will be a need Behrens I’d a lefty that’s why avs fans value Barron as we do

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
…given that Avs fans who reject every trade that isnt a steal are saying they want it says its not enough.

The value is fair because of his NTC but yeah, I’d ask for Kaut too if I were you. And as an Avs fan, I’d do that deal too.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
A 3 team trade list will surely limit value a little bit. If he's traded I'd guess that Colorado would be one of the top destinations given that they're a contender who need a 2C/top 6 forward going forward and have a lot of capspace this offseason to play with.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
A 3 team trade list will surely limit value a little bit. If he's traded I'd guess that Colorado would be one of the top destinations given that they're a contender who need a 2C/top 6 forward going forward and have a lot of capspace this offseason to play with.

Before the season Hertl talked about being willing to take less to play on a contender and specifically brought up Landeskog as an example. I'll bet the Avs could sign him for 7Mx8 if they wanted to.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I think the condition on the extra pick should be if the Avs win the cup OR Hertl resigns with the Avs. IN which case it should be another first or a second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad