Post-Game Talk: He’s such a Bouche

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We probably win Game 1 if we found a viable upgrade to Ceci at the TDL.

I keep asking and nobody that brings it up has an answer… who? Walker/Dumba/etc aren’t upgrades. The only legit top 4 right shot dman who was available was Tanev, and Calgary took a substantially worse package than we offered in order to spite us. So who were we supposed to be getting? It was just an unfortunate year where there weren’t viable options.

Imagine this team with a healthy Klef and Larsson

If only… even just a healthy Klefa means adding a guy who at 23 was already seen as a top 20 dman in the league.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cant beleive that I forgot to mention this...I counted at least 10 minutes in what should be obvious penalties against the Oilers that werent called.
The McDavid high stick on Hughes...the Kane slewfoot, the Ryan stick to the jewels on Hogeland...that hit from beinnd by Nurse on Petersson.
These are all blatent, obvious penalties that were not called.

I have posted before that the NHL's standard for penalties changing in the playoffs is Bush League and we had a clear example of that yesterday.
As an Oilers fan I am glad those werent called but just think for a minute (for example) if that high stick by McDavid was reveresed and it was McDavid getting high sticked. Or McLeod getting speared in the jewels or Hymen getting hit from behind.
We would lose our shit on here and rightfully so.

Playoff refereeing is an absolute joke.

Yup, the reffing last night was TERRIBLE, just like it was in game 1. The Oilers got screwed in game 1, and the Nucks got screwed in game 2, and I think the Nucks got screwed quite a bit more than we did in game 1 as well. Just atrocious reffing, the NHL should be embarrassed.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
When refs are giving out embellishment penalties they should be the only penalty on the play.
I have always hated the "Diving, but for some reason we still gotta call the other penalty too" stuff.

Went out past elk island… for anyone thinking elk island is a good spot tomorrow night. Don’t. The line to turn will be backed up so far it’s not worth it. Find a spot out in the country.
Wouldn't be surprised you found the same farmer turnout that I did with those pictures!

And yeah, I never saw so much west bound traffic at 12:30am on Highway 16 (people coming back from their viewings).

Keep *RIGHT* on the highway. Elk Island traffic was at least 1-2 km long.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup, the reffing last night was TERRIBLE, just like it was in game 1. The Oilers got screwed in game 1, and the Nucks got screwed in game 2, and I think the Nucks got screwed quite a bit more than we did in game 1 as well. Just atrocious reffing, the NHL should be embarrassed.
Couldnt agree more. :nod:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I keep asking and nobody that brings it up has an answer… who? Walker/Dumba/etc aren’t upgrades. The only legit top 4 right shot dman who was available was Tanev, and Calgary took a substantially worse package than we offered in order to spite us. So who were we supposed to be getting? It was just an unfortunate year where there weren’t viable options.

If only… even just a healthy Klefa means adding a guy who at 23 was already seen as a top 20 dman in the league.
Walkers an upgrade IMO. Avs targeted him and he’s doing a good job for them. Dumba I think has way more ability than Ceci but too much risk in his game, that maybe could have been coached up. Didn’t watch a lot of the Lightning series but I think it was a decent bet by the Bolts. After watching the Leaf’s series I’d consider Edmundson a viable upgrade as well. None of these are home runs, but Ceci’s a low bar to hop.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Or if we played the viable upgrade.

Exactly. Stecher isn't some savior by any means, I would expect that he would be getting exposed somewhat in the playoffs as well. But it is worth the gamble, as Ceci has been just TERRIBLE. I don't think I've seen him win a single puck race in the past 2 games, nor make a single outlet pass in those 2 games. To call him bad isn't going far enough. Yes, Stecher isn't great either, but it honestly couldn't get worse than Ceci.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I know Nurse hasn't been playing great either, but the with/without stats show that Ceci has been a drag on Nurse all year, and the drag is REALLY bad statistically.

In the playoffs, albeit with somewhat small sample size, Nurse is 24% better at xGF% without Ceci than with Ceci. Nurse is 34% with Ceci and 58% without Ceci. Ceci is also better without Nurse, but not nearly as much, with the same 34% with Nurse and 43% without Nurse. So Nurse is 15% better when you compare each without the other.

In the regular season the stats show a similar result. Nurse and Ceci were xGF% of 53%. Nurse without Ceci was 56% and Ceci without Nurse was 52% (so Ceci actually went down a little without Nurse in regular season). It is VERY clear that Ceci is dragging that pairing down, and by quite a bit.

The real interesting thing is when you insert Stecher into the mix with Nurse. Their xGF% together (again in limited minutes of course) is 59% in the regular season. So better than the Nurse/Ceci pairing by 6%.

It is somewhat crazy to me, that with Ceci being, by far, the worst defender on the team so far, in both +/- at -7 and all the advanced stats (lowest D xGF5, lowest D SCF%, and 2nd lowest D HDCF%), and with Stecher having some success with Nurse in the regular season, that the coach hasn't brought Stecher in for a game. It almost literally can't get worse, so what is the hold up? Makes no sense whatsoever.

My guess who be that it’s simply because then we’d have Stecher and Bouch who don’t PK, and Ek/Nurse already play a lot of minutes, and Ceci’s 2:30 per game on the PK would have to largely go to them

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I would love to see Gagner back in the lineup. The bottom 6 are struggling offensively. Perry on the third line just ain't it. Should be stapled in the fourth line.

I would put Gagner in for Perry.

Stecher in for Ceci as well.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not trying to defend Nurse, he needs to be so much better, but get him away from the blackhole that is Cody Ceci to at least see if he can be more effective. Mainly, stop playing Ceci.

Yup, they need to stop playing Ceci. I really feel like I'm taking crazy-pills when I see him trotted out game after game. Worst defender on the team by a country mile, and the coach just refuses to try Stecher or Broberg. No, they aren't going to move the needle in the positive direction either, or at least I wouldn't expect them to, but maybe they won't be the player where all hope goes to die, like Ceci has been.

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
IMG_0770.jpeg

Can’t wait to shut this clown up. Last time he was in Edmonton for a playoff series, we won both games. Hoping for a similar outcome this year

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Walkers an upgrade IMO. Avs targeted him and he’s doing a good job for them. Dumba I think has way more ability than Ceci but too much risk in his game, that maybe could have been coached up. Didn’t watch a lot of the Lightning series but I think it was a decent bet by the Bolts. After watching the Leaf’s series I’d consider Edmundson a viable upgrade as well. None of these are home runs, but Ceci’s a low bar to hop.

Ceci has definitely struggled but Walker is pointless and a minus in the playoffs, while also being worse every other year of their career. Thats worth a 1st round pick?

Dumba is precisely the kind of dman we don’t need. He’s a much, much worse version of Nurse.

Edmundson is a bottom pairing dman. Asking him to play top 4, especially at this point in his career, is a horrible idea

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
My guess who be that it’s simply because then we’d have Stecher and Bouch who don’t PK, and Ek/Nurse already play a lot of minutes, and Ceci’s 2:30 per game on the PK would have to largely go to them

I don't buy this at all. Ceci has averaged 1:52 SH TOI/GP in the playoffs. VD leads the pack at 2:26, then Ekholm at 2:17, then Nurse at 1:53 and finally Kulak at 0:42. If you take Ceci out, that means that VD/Ek/Nurse would each have to play maybe 30 seconds/game more SH and then maybe Kulak gets the other 20-30 seconds. This wouldn't be much more for these players. VD is at 17:24 TOI/GP, Ekholm at 21:11 and Nurse at 20:24. None of them would be playing anything approaching ridiculous minutes if Ceci's SH mins were added to their totals.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Cant beleive that I forgot to mention this...I counted at least 10 minutes in what should be obvious penalties against the Oilers that werent called.
The McDavid high stick on Hughes...the Kane slewfoot, the Ryan stick to the jewels on Hogeland...that hit from beinnd by Nurse on Petersson.

I have posted before that the NHL's standard for penalties changing in the playoffs is Bush League and we had a clear example of that yesterday.
As an Oilers fan I am glad those werent called but just think for a minute (for example) if that high stick by McDavid was reveresed and it was McDavid getting high sticked. Or McLeod getting speared in the jewels or Hymen getting hit from behind.

Ryan was penalized for his chop on Hoglander, it wasn't a missed call.

Keep in mind Hyman was high sticked, the Canucks got away with too many men directly before Zadorov's goal, Janmark was boarded, McDavid was tripped into the boards at high speed after scoring.

Playoff reffing always sucks. It sucked both ways last night. If the Canucks want the refs to call everything I'm fine with that. Something makes me think they don't want to go up against our PP 10 times a game though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Walker isn’t better than Ceci? In what world.
Just the playoffs so far…

1715456838511.png

Reactions: oil Leaks

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
How would Gagner who is productive and makes really good plays with the puck and is a good setup guy possibly a worse option? I just don't get it. Lets kick Gagner to the curb one mroe time despite him bleeding Oil and dearly wanting to be out there.
Ganger funny enough would be worst the perry. Can we stop talking about him already....

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

I agree that Walker is an upgrade. I also really wanted him as a Ceci replacement since Tanev was out of the picture.

Dumba and Edmundson is a no for me. Those two are not upgrades imho

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The reffing was horrible. But I really am I’m wondering if the refs put the whistles away for the Nucks cause of all their diving.

The Hughes highstick is inexcusable. The nut check by Ryan is a penalty too. I’m not 100% sure if Nurse deserves a penalty on EP though. It wasn’t a hit in the numbers, it was from the side and there wasn’t a charge. Optically it looked much worse than the hit Nurse laid. Like if Nurse does that exact same hit against Joshua the results are probably completely different and we don’t see Joshua flying into the boards like that.

The Kane slew foot was more of a slew hip if that makes any sense.

Reactions: RegDunlop

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't buy this at all. Ceci has averaged 1:52 SH TOI/GP in the playoffs. VD leads the pack at 2:26, then Ekholm at 2:17, then Nurse at 1:53 and finally Kulak at 0:42. If you take Ceci out, that means that VD/Ek/Nurse would each have to play maybe 30 seconds/game more SH and then maybe Kulak gets the other 20-30 seconds. This wouldn't be much more for these players. VD is at 17:24 TOI/GP, Ekholm at 21:11 and Nurse at 20:24. None of them would be playing anything approaching ridiculous minutes if Ceci's SH mins were added to their totals.

But what happens when it’s one of those 4 who takes the penalty? I’m not saying it’s not worth giving Stecher a shot. Just that I think that’s probably the reason he hasn’t yet. Broberg was ahead of Kulak even in SH TOI/GP during the regular season, so I wouldn’t be shocked if he came in before Stecher

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ceci has definitely struggled but Walker is pointless and a minus in the playoffs, while also being worse every other year of their career. Thats worth a 1st round pick?

Dumba is precisely the kind of dman we don’t need. He’s a much, much worse version of Nurse.

Edmundson is a bottom pairing dman. Asking him to play top 4, especially at this point in his career, is a horrible idea
Walker is a -1, Ceci is a MINUS 7

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Watching McDs presser. Two Nucks reporters try to push the McDavid carrying Oilers narrative, and the Captain wasn’t having none of it. You could tell he was annoyed by the suggestion that it wasn’t a team win. What a leader and what a captain.
If mcdrai ekholm Hyman Bouchard could get some support we would be blowing teams away

Half this team have been passengers again this post season and esp this round so far

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
wtf? Did u even watch the game? There were a plethora of missed calls on the oil. 97 was interfered with consistently. Hyman high stick, Janmark boarding, too many ment in two games not called on the nucks. Drai got a penalty for being punched when it should have been a 5-3, the penalty on Nuge was terrible.... Oil have 3 PPs to thei6 6..Yes they missed calls on the oil as well but no way did the nucks get screwed lol. This is a ridiculous post.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Walker is a -1, Ceci is a MINUS 7
Walker hasnt been good.

Ceci has just been the worst D man in the playoffs

Nurse positive: he had at least 3 good hits, infinitely more than the zero hits he had in game one.
I swear I saw more than 3 hits by Nurse but I choose to believe the stats page..
Right after his hit on EP he also skated back to him and gave him a forearm shiver.

Reactions: ZJuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad