Confirmed with Link: Hayes traded to Pittsburgh

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
In reality, if you sign a player in FA by using the money you saved on Hayes, it really didn’t cost you a 2nd. It’s like trading that 2nd for the FA player.

Reactions: joe galiba

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
In reality, if you sign a player in FA by using the money you saved on Hayes, it really didn’t cost you a 2nd. It’s like trading that 2nd for the FA player.
hhhmmmmmmmm.......kinda head scratchy, but if I beat my head against the wall, it sounds pretty good.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
IMO I think this means Doug is going after a FA center, maybe Monohan like so many of us suggested? 2nd line center.
We didn’t need to clear cap space just to sign one FA. We had almost $10 million in cap space to do that. Either DA is preparing to make a big splash and bring in more than one high end addition, or it’s just him holding his nose and paying an unfortunate price to undo a previous mistake as he described it post-draft.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Army is on a roll.

He wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have something lined up. He wouldn't spend a 2nd to clear cash up if he didn't. I feel like we're about to come up bigtime.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I also wonder if they thought Dvorsky wasn't going to be ready this year and that's why they brought in Hayes with his 3 years, and then they could trade him with a year left on contract when Dvorsky was ready. But Dvorsky progressed further than they thought so Hayes was expendable then.

Personally not a huge fan of paying 2nd to get rid of him, but it is what it is.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Essentially we sold a 2nd round pick in next year’s draft for the $5,250,000 we don’t have to pay Hayes. Don’t like it, but it’s not my money.
Who was the GM who agreed to take on that cap hit last year then decided that he stunk and it was worth a 2nd round pick to relieve him of that cap hit?

FIRE ARMSTRONG.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We didn’t need to clear cap space just to sign one FA. We had almost $10 million in cap space to do that. Either DA is preparing to make a big splash and bring in more than one high end addition, or it’s just him holding his nose and paying an unfortunate price to undo a previous mistake as he described it post-draft.
Maybe Hayes in the pressbox was still viewed as a negative. I didn’t think his play was bad enough to not find a bottom 6 role. Seems like they wanted him gone?

Is there some sentiment that Hayes would teach bad habits to young players? Armstrong didn’t say anything negative about him, which is a professional way to discuss it. But when he says “it didn’t work out” I wonder in what way specifically.

Dizee, I can’t take it any more. I’m putting you on block. Please don’t start any important threads. (I know, oxymoron.)

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Maybe Hayes in the pressbox was still viewed as a negative. I didn’t think his play was bad enough to not find a bottom 6 role. Seems like they wanted him gone?

Is there some sentiment that Hayes would teach bad habits to young players? Armstrong didn’t say anything negative about him, which is a professional way to discuss it. But when he says “it didn’t work out” I wonder in what way specifically.

Dizee, I can’t take it any more. I’m putting you on block. Please don’t start any important threads. (I know, oxymoron.)
who-cares-trump.gif

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
H
Who was the GM who agreed to take on that cap hit last year then decided that he stunk and it was worth a 2nd round pick to relieve him of that cap hit?

FIRE ARMSTRONG.
He has a whole calendar year to recoup that second or the equivalent in some fashion. I'm afraid you've gone mad..

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
H

He has a whole calendar year to recoup that second or the equivalent in some fashion. I'm afraid you've gone mad..
We should be using this current timespan to ADD assets, not dump them off because of bad management decision.

We are not a serious contender for the next 3-5 years. So I want as many assets as I can to build a ELITE team.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Seems like I’m the only one who doesn’t really mind this deal. Sucks we had to give up a 2nd but removing Hayes from the lineup immediately improves the team, even if we don’t have a center replacement yet. I’m pretty confident that Army plans on recouping the second round pick in the next year maybe even next week, and I think he is still planning on brining in another center, whoever that my be. The team can’t really afford the buyout with no playoff revenue coming in so I don’t blame them for trying to save some actual dollars by dumping him, it was a bad move to begin with but I have no problem in Doug admitting his mistake and rectifying the situation, we simply could not go into next season with Hayes in the lineup

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I also wonder if they thought Dvorsky wasn't going to be ready this year and that's why they brought in Hayes with his 3 years, and then they could trade him with a year left on contract when Dvorsky was ready. But Dvorsky progressed further than they thought so Hayes was expendable then.

Personally not a huge fan of paying 2nd to get rid of him, but it is what it is.
There is no way we should be penciling in Dvorsky. They have to be bringing in another forward.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Apparently Armstrong and the Blues leadership value a potentially high 2nd round pick LESS than the value gained from getting rid of Kevin Hayes. Genuinely surprised since there haven’t been reports I’ve seen that he’s bad in the locker room or something (if anything it’s the opposite and people seem to like Hayes as a person).

I didn’t mind the gamble of bringing in Hayes originally and am willing to give Army some credit for publicly admitting his mistake…but still f***ing hate giving up a valuable pick at this point.

Would’ve much rather bought Hayes out or tried to give him away with retention for future considerations. Hell, would’ve rather just paid him his money and sent him to the AHL but kept the pick. But hey, it’s not my money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad