Hawks PK - first impressions

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
This begs the question...what has gotten into Q this year? Has he magically morphed into a reasonable coach?

From his consistency in lines to improved special teams play he may just have (although it is still too early to say definitively).

Why are the hwks playing so much better this year?

In 2009-2010, the Hawks had arguably the best depth in the NHL.

Following the SC win, alot of that depth had to leave town due to large increases in salaries of players coming off ELC and bounues that got "recaptured" in the following year.

In the next two years the hawks had to fill that depth with older marginal players and young players who weren't ready for the NHL yet. And Q had to rely upon the core to play extra minutes to remain competitive.

Come this year, and the maturing of players like Leddy, Kruger, Stalberg etc. has allowed Q to rest his core more as the depth is so much better. He can roll 4 lines again comfortably, along with 3 lines of d-men. Keith is not playing 30 minutes a night anymore.

The team can now again come at you in waves.

My theory anyway.

Martini*

The Hawks PK has been stellar considering they have Leddy nowhere near it this year.

Much better then the PP, which is still bad.

Martini*

If we're going to cherry pick stats and compare that 17% to teams that have their 5/3 and 4/3's included, whatever you say.

You can do it with every team. Doesnt matter to me. The fact remains that at a man advantage they are a bit below average if even say 20% would be an average percentage.

Throw in a two man and the 4/3 and this facade that there has been some sort of re-birth of a stagnant power play is just wishful thinking at best considering 5/3's will start to slow down once the season actually gets a bit of steam under its belt.

Considering the talent this team has, theres no excuse for them to be at at least 25% with a man. None.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
But our 5/4 percentage is 22%.

My real excitement comes not from the raw data four games in, but the puck and player movement we've seen compared to last year. This team is so much less static on the man advantage.

Edit: But this is my less than brilliant deduction. It just took a calculator and a fourth grade education.

Martini*

But our 5/4 percentage is 22%.

My real excitement comes not from the raw data four games in, but the puck and player movement we've seen compared to last year. This team is so much less static on the man advantage.

Edit: But this is my less than brilliant deduction. It just took a calculator and a fourth grade education.
If you count the own goal.

I dont. 17%.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You can do it with every team. Doesnt matter to me. The fact remains that at a man advantage they are a bit below average if even say 20% would be an average percentage.

Throw in a two man and the 4/3 and this facade that there has been some sort of re-birth of a stagnant power play is just wishful thinking at best considering 5/3's will start to slow down once the season actually gets a bit of steam under its belt.

Considering the talent this team has, theres no excuse for them to be at at least 25% with a man. None.

Since the last lockout, there have been three teams that have posted a PP conversion rate over 25%. The Capitals twice and Detroit once. And that's including five on three's and three on four's. Your demands may be a wee high.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Brooks Laich, Viktor Kozlov, Mike Green, and Knuble playing all out attack hockey and Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Rafalski and Hossa.

Including 5 on 3's and 4 on 3's, those were the units that surpassed your 25% unrealistic bench mark.

So yea. Considering the talent.

Last edited:

Martini*

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Mike Green, and Knuble playing all out attack hockey and Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Rafalski and Hossa.

Including 5 on 3's and 4 on 3's.

Yea. Considering the talent.
The Hawks have how many players in their prime. I dont consider any of the players mentioned above that much better then the Hawks team as it stands right now.

That is, unless the Hawk players are a bit over rated, perhaps?

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
The powerplay is clearly a failure if it isn't the single best unit the NHL has seen since the '04 lockout.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The Hawks have how many players in their prime. I dont consider any of the players mentioned above that much better then the Hawks team as it stands right now.

That is, unless the Hawk players are a bit over rated, perhaps?

Considering those units had 110, 109 point seasons from Ovechkin, a 101 point season from Backstrom, a 73 and 76 point season from Mike Green, and a 97 point season from Datsyuk... Yea, again... I'd say you're in a bit over your head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad