GDT: Hawks @ Mild 10/1/24 CHSN (Same time new channel) Do it for lou!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
These guys have played at the highest levels of the sport their entire lives. What systems do you think NHL teams are running that everyone else isn't? Hockey isn't that complicated.
Each team has their own system of where players need to be, or should be. It will take more than a couple of preseason games to break out of habits they had in another system, elsewhere. Building chemistry with your new teammates is something that also doesn't come just like that.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Each team has their own system of where players need to be, or should be. It will take more than a couple of preseason games to break out of habits they had in another system, elsewhere. Building chemistry with your new teammates is something that also doesn't come just like that.
Chemistry and trust is the biggest factor. Systems are like 90% identical in high level hockey. There certainly hasn't been enough variation in those systems in the last ten years for players to come in to a new team and be lost about where they should be.

The problem isn't learning new systems. It's playing with shitty or stupid hockey players. One guy doesn't do his job in hockey, and everything goes to shit.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Richardson has been here since June of 2022. Nothing he is doing is some galaxy brain complex that guys are still working on figuring it out.

He sucks.
How many players have been here since 2022? Hell, half of the team is brand new this year. No one said its "galaxy brain complex". Coming to a new team is always an adjustment for players. I'm not defending Richardson, but lets give these new guys more than 2 preseason games before we mail it in. One thing is for certain, this team will suck no matter who is behind the bench.

Chemistry and trust is the biggest factor. Systems are like 90% identical in high level hockey. There certainly hasn't been enough variation in those systems in the last ten years for players to come in to a new team and be lost about where they should be.

The problem isn't learning new systems. It's playing with shitty or stupid hockey players.
Yes, I agree. But that 10% difference from system to system still needs time to adjust in a real hockey game.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think the biggest and most beneficial thing Luke can do, is stick with lines, and don't mix them up too much, especially early in the season. Guys need to build chemistry, and no where each other is going to be. They should set their line up earlier than they are, surely they know what players are going to be able to play in the league sooner than the second last preseason game of the year.

Reactions: Pez68

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
How many players have been here since 2022? Hell, half of the team is brand new this year. No one said its "galaxy brain complex". Coming to a new team is always an adjustment for players. I'm not defending Richardson, but lets give these new guys more than 2 preseason games before we mail it in. One thing is for certain, this team will suck no matter who is behind the bench.

Yes, I agree. But that 10% difference from system to system still needs time to adjust in a real hockey game.

Everything looks exactly like it always has. I don't really need another 10-15 games to realize it's just going to be more of the same going back to day 1 with this guy. He doesn't know how to do anything else regardless of who is or isn't on the roster.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the biggest and most beneficial thing Luke can do, is stick with lines, and don't mix them up too much, especially early in the season. Guys need to build chemistry, and no where each other is going to be. They should set their line up earlier than they are, surely they know what players are going to be able to play in the league sooner than the second last preseason game of the year.
Absolutely. I will say that when you see different players coming through a team, over multiple seasons, and see the same mistakes being made by all of them, there's clearly an issue with the coaching staff.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Everything looks exactly like it always has. I don't really need another 10-15 games to realize it's just going to be more of the same going back to day 1 with this guy. He doesn't know how to do anything else regardless of who is or isn't on the roster.
Half of the roster are guys playing over there heads, or guys who shouldn't even be in the NHL. Of course its going to look sloppy. Having a better roster will 100% help, whether or not he is the guy to push players over the edge and to be better than what they are, is a whole other conversation.

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Half of the roster are guys playing over there heads, or guys who shouldn't even be in the NHL. Of course its going to look sloppy. Having a better roster will 100% help, whether or not he is the guy to push players over the edge and to be better than what they are, is a whole other conversation.

I personally don't think he's the guy, but we'll see. This will be his last chance to show anything in Chicago, and his career as an NHL head coach in general could be on the line.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the roster is setup for him to even be fired midseason and could see them waiting until the season is over to finally make a change. If that's the case I can only hope he doesn't do too much damage before that day comes with the younger guys.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The more I think about it…I think being awful this season and getting the highest pick possible while also forcing a coaching change is EXACTLY what we need. Embrace the tank for another year. Try and land the #1OA pick.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Been saying it since the end of last season. Reichel doesn’t have it. He doesn’t know how to make plays. Simple as that. Nazar will fill that vacancy though, fret not. Reichel won’t cut it as a top 9 forward and will be off the team when his contract is up.

Prospects are by and large overrated, guys. Many of you have way too much interest in them IMHO. The success rate is way too low across the board. Best you can do is suck enough and hope you’re high picks pan out and a few of your later round picks over the course of a rebuild become more than what their draft position projects them to be.

Agreed.

But they're already waist deep in this mess after blowing it up by getting rid of bonafide younger NHL talent and playing the lotto is now the only salvation unless monster trades/signings can be made.

13 picks in the top 2 rounds the past 3 years and at this point KD better keep stacking the cards in his favor the next couple years too plus not miss on the top picks. Everyone starts out a prospect.

Reactions: OldScool

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This was always going to be another tanky year. Best case scenario is the goal differential improves in a big way with a top five pick at the end.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
One issue I have is the effort and jam. They were getting DOMINATED last night and I don't think I saw one hard hit. One scrum...zero push back at all. It's like the Hawks just folded and quit. I get it was a preseason game and 95% of the these guys made the team but put in some effort to improve. They aren't good enough to mail in efforts or switch some magic effort button when the regular season starts.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I personally don't think he's the guy, but we'll see. This will be his last chance to show anything in Chicago, and his career as an NHL head coach in general could be on the line.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the roster is setup for him to even be fired midseason and could see them waiting until the season is over to finally make a change. If that's the case I can only hope he doesn't do too much damage before that day comes with the younger guys.
I don't think he's the guy either, I said after July 1st that this is his chance to show something as a coach, as he has some NHL players on the roster now, unlike last year. The roster is still garbage, but it's not -worst of the cap era- garbage any longer. If the team doesn't over perform just a little bit, I don't have much hope for him with a decent roster. If young guys show some big improvement this year, that's his only chance at holding on to his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad