Confirmed with Link: Hawks get pick #s 18 & 50 from NYI for pick #s 20, 54, & 61 (all in 2024)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No team is trading you into the top 8-15 without getting back a 1st rounder in the top 20, as well as other "marginal" picks. It's very likely that KD has already had discussions with a team that told him they need to move up into the top 20 in order to acquire their higher first, or he has a pick in mind that he plans on trading for.

You're way off base here on this one.

They lost... essentially nothing of value, to move up into a better pick for a potential second move up.
Ok I'll play around here. So the Hawks true target is say... pick 10. So they got to team with Pick 10 and say "we want to trade up", they say "your second pick is only pick 20, that's not good enough, if it were say.. pick 18 then we'd do Pick 18 and idk, Wyatt Kaiser or something like that, but not Pick 20 and Wyatt Kaiser or something like that"

So the Hawks say "ok" and go "Islanders how do we get pick 18?" they say "for those two spots, give us your last 2nd round pick", Hawks say "willing to work with you but that's a bit much, so let us swap our middle 2nd for yours as well" and they say "yeah sure fine"

So we think Hawks can get worse total value but also use the higher pick(s) to trade up more so than if they just used original pick(s) and tossed in the last 2nd round pick?

Maybe, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Teams shouldn't be viewing Pick 18 and Pick 20 as that different. The Hawks shouldn't. A team they are trying to trade up with shouldn't as it's extremely marginal expected value difference between the two.

Reactions: Pertti

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Ok I'll play around here. So the Hawks true target is say... pick 10. So they got to team with Pick 10 and say "we want to trade up", they say "your second pick is only pick 20, that's not good enough, if it were say.. pick 18 then we'd do Pick 18 and idk, Wyatt Kaiser or something like that, but not Pick 20 and Wyatt Kaiser or something like that"

So the Hawks say "ok" and go "Islanders how do we get pick 18?" they say "for those two spots, give us your last 2nd round pick", Hawks say "willing to work with you but that's a bit much, so let us swap our middle 2nd for yours as well" and they say "yeah sure fine"

So we think Hawks can get worse total value but also use the higher pick(s) to trade up more so than if they just used original pick(s) and tossed in the last 2nd round pick?

Maybe, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Teams shouldn't be viewing Pick 18 and Pick 20 as that different. The Hawks shouldn't. A team they are trying to trade up with shouldn't as it's extremely marginal expected value difference between the two.
I don't know what the plan is. None of us do. My main point was that this trade isn't "terrible". It's basically the loss of a meaningless 2nd rounder(almost 3rd) to move up some spots. Not exactly something to throw a fit about. And if they end up packaging 18 and some other picks to get to the top 8-12, then I can't imagine anyone is going to be bothered by it, or still think it's "terrible".

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't know what the plan is. None of us do. My main point was that this trade isn't "terrible". It's basically the loss of a meaningless 2nd rounder(almost 3rd) to move up some spots. Not exactly something to throw a fit about. And if they end up packaging 18 and some other picks to get to the top 8-12, then I can't imagine anyone is going to be bothered by it, or still think it's "terrible".
Saying the move is terrible is not exactly throwing a fit. Nobody is saying the rebuild is screwed or someone needs to be fired, just that it's a bad trade from value standpoint. If you traded 6 nickels for a quarter I'd say you made a terrible trade, not that you did something that will have a material negative impact on your life going forward.

If your reasoning was something like "i don't like having too many coins [re - draft picks/prospects] because it stresses me out so I'd rather have one more valuable coin [re - draft picks/prospects] so I don't have to worry about losing/mishandling/mismanaging any of them and making a bad decision" then I would definitely question your reasoning. If there's some bigger idiot out there that will give you gum for a quarter but not for 5 nickels for whatever reason, then yeah ok I guess you did what you had to do.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Of this is intended as a stay move (ie. No further moves to movebup ahain) it May indocate they are taking Levshunov at #2 and so imperative they get that 2C prospect ...they probably have like both Hage and Boisvert and d decided to increase the odds 1 is still therexat #18 because they felt both gone by#20.

But if they take Lindstrom at #2,I doubt they want another center at #18 ...

Hard to know for sure what their strategy is...IF it is for another move up then maybe they try going from #18 up 4 or 5 spots to land Beckett Sennecke as a winger for Bedard? They could give #50 or take a bad Contract to move up 4 or 5 spots if their target still on the board ..

In any case they probably had 3ctatgetscfprvtheir 2ndbpick of roundv2 but were unsure that 2 of them night go just before #20 so they moved up to expand the chance they can get 1 ofvthe higherx2 ranked on their boardvof 3ctargeys they woukd likecforvthebpick...unless an opportunity to move up forcan even higher ranked prospect on their biardcmateri alzes in some deal forceitherca bad cobtract take or for the #18+sweetener pick ...or some combo of both ...

Anyway it gives KD options to stay as is or to try moving up from#18..

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Saying the move is terrible is not exactly throwing a fit. Nobody is saying the rebuild is screwed or someone needs to be fired, just that it's a bad trade from value standpoint. If you traded 6 nickels for a quarter I'd say you made a terrible trade, not that you did something that will have a material negative impact on your life going forward.
The value isn't really very far off... the 2nd at #61 likely never sniffs the NHL, and you moved up spots on two picks that have far more potential. Terrible is hyperbole. Silly hyperbole.

Reactions: HawksDub89

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The value isn't really very far off... the 2nd at #61 likely never sniffs the NHL, and you moved up spots on two picks that have far more potential. Terrible is hyperbole. Silly hyperbole.
But 2 slots from 20 to 18 is "likely" no difference either.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
But 2 slots from 20 to 18 is "likely" no difference either.
Depends on their board, and the picks made in front of them. It also has far more potential to make a difference if that pick was a requirement from another team to move up higher. It's silly to call this "terrible" without knowing what the end result is.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I'm all for this trade because I think this is a very shallow draft, that drops off pretty steeply after 40. We also need to focus on quality over quantity at this point. If Kyle from Chicago can move up again and somehow get both Demidov and Yakemchuk, then I really could give a rip about the rest of this draft.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Using the Sound of Hockey draft pick value chart (Most realistic one for my taste) 18+ 34 would get you to 9. 18+50 get you to 14 and 34 + 50 get you to 25.

What those of you bemoaning giving up #61 to move up 6 spots are ignoring is that the back half of the 2nd round becomes long odds to find a player that has a chance of even being an NHL player. We still have those type of roll the dice picks at 67 and 72.

We HAVE to consolidate some of these picks as we won;t have pro roster spots for who've we already taken if we keep all our picks. We have taken SIXTEEN players in the top 100 picks the last 2 drafts and before this trade were set to take 7 more. We already have 10 more top 100 picks lined up the 2 drafts and I would be shocked if we don;t gain at least a couple more taking a contract and a TDL deal. We currently have or have the picks to pick THIRTY TWO players in the top 100 over 5 drafts. We will not have pro hockey roster spots for all these players at some point if we keep making all these picks (and again likely add a few more this Summer and at the TDL).

When I look at mock drafts, I am often disappointed at what option we have at 20 and guys I like are often going a spot or 2 before 20. My guess is the Hawks initial scouting meeting came up with a hard cliff at 15, 16, or 17 and hoping for 3 or 4 teams to reach so someone in one of your top tiers falls is not all that likely.
It's a myth that good picks can't be found after the first 2 rounds or so. There are plenty of NHLers who were picked in later rounds. It's a crap shoot so take every pick you can get your hands on. If there is nothing more to this than a 2 picks for 3 picks, I am extremely disappointed in KD. Scouts are good but they're not that good. There are always big surprises when teams go outside the box and take players unexpectedly. Isles saw us coming and we got fleeced.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's a myth that good picks can't be found after the first 2 rounds or so. There are plenty of NHLers who were picked in later rounds. It's a crap shoot so take every pick you can get your hands on. If there is nothing more to this than a 2 picks for 3 picks, I am extremely disappointed in KD. Scouts are good but they're not that good. There are always big surprises when teams go outside the box and take players unexpectedly. Isles saw us coming and we got fleeced.
What myth? Nobody thinks this.

It's a question about probability is all.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Stupid move again by a Blackhawks GM, these picks are all crap shoots, better have 3 crapshoots than 2 crap shoots, there is no argument to be made here unless he jumped up like 5+ spots, TWO TF?

Reactions: BobbyJet and ndgt10

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I guess it's D at number 2 and Boisvert or Hague at number 18.

''I don't know if today's transaction is related to that but I have it on good authority that the Hawks called Sacha Boisvert this week to speak with him and their interest is high. And he is expected to go out in these surroundings. To be continued!''

I know a little bit MO Beaudoin and he knows really well Boisvert's family. Both from Trois-Rivières.

Reactions: clydesdale line

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
1716586834552.png

Absolutley correct good players come from all sorts of places, but I would rather have higher picks as your odds improve dramitically the higher you draft.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I guess it's D at number 2 and Boisvert or Hague at number 18.

''I don't know if today's transaction is related to that but I have it on good authority that the Hawks called Sacha Boisvert this week to speak with him and their interest is high. And he is expected to go out in these surroundings. To be continued!''

I know a little bit MO Beaudoin and he knows really well Boisvert's family. Both from Trois-Rivières.
lmao not a f***ing chance are they targeting Boisvert

A player who is inconsistent? Lacks drive? Unengaged?

I flat out refuse to believe it

Reactions: pvr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad