Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
When they release the app, I hope (though I certainly do not expect) that you won't be required to watch it live. Let people start the game when they want and allow them to pause and fast forward the telecast at their leisure.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CHSN confirms YouTubeTV will not carry and Fubo most likely will

CHSN’s latest offer proposed a “significant” fee reduction compared to what Comcast previously paid NBC Sports Chicago, Coyle said, but even that generated no traction — although communication between the parties is ongoing.

“We are willing, in order to ensure more people can watch, to take less money,” Coyle said. “They’ve given us zero offers to say ‘yes’ to.”

In Illinois and the surrounding states, the network is available on DirecTV, DirecTV Stream, U-Verse and Astound/RCN, as well as via an over-the-air antenna near certain cities, including Chicago, Rockford, South Bend and Indianapolis. Over-the-air service also is expected to begin within the next couple of weeks in Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Fort Wayne and several other cities, Coyle said.

Outside of Illinois and the surrounding states, Hawks games are available through the ESPN+ and Center Ice subscription services, just like they were last season.

Coyle said he expects CHSN to soon reach an agreement with Fubo. YouTube TV has entirely pivoted away from regional sports networks in its business model, and Coyle confirmed CHSN won’t be carried there, as previously reported.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@crimsonace Can you confirm WHMB, 40.2 in Indianapolis is now showing the Blackhawks?They can't show the Bulls in that market, but they can sneak in the Hawks and White Sox.

Xfinity in the Boston market is keeping NESN (Red Sox, Bruins) in the same tier as NBC Sports Boston which has the Celtics.

NESN has a solid argument
The Red Sox averaged a 2.47 local rating on NESN this season, down 6 percent from a 2.64 in 2023.

The Red Sox had a 2.65 rating on NESN in 2022, and a 4.18 in ‘21, which happens to be the last time they made the postseason.

Ratings rose to their highest points this season during June and July, peaking just before the start of the Paris Olympics on July 26, which siphons massive numbers of viewers away from every other form of television programming.

Still, over the sixth-month season, Red Sox broadcasts outperformed all prime-time television programming in the Boston market.

The White Sox ratings by comparison were as bad as the team was.

CHSN is trying to sell a rebuilding Blackhawks team, an NBA team that is getting ZERO games on TNT/ESPN, and a baseball team that lost more games than the 1962 Mets.

The sad reality is Danny Wirtz has very little leverage in this Reinsdorf-controlled madness.

Reactions: Pez68

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
CHSN and the Wirtz relationship with Reinsdorf legitimately feels like a sunken cost fallacy. I honestly think at this point that the Wirtzes should throw up their hands, pay whatever contractural hit they need to to get out, and accept whatever Marquee is willing offer to become a paid tenant on the Cubs channel. And who knows, maybe Cubs + Hawks is enough to get Comcast off from sniffing around the concept of trying to raise an otherwise one-sport (no offense Hounds) channel to a higher-tier.

Call it the Marquee Madhouse.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
CHSN and the Wirtz relationship with Reinsdorf legitimately feels like a sunken cost fallacy. I honestly think at this point that the Wirtzes should throw up their hands, pay whatever contractural hit they need to to get out, and accept whatever Marquee is willing offer to become a paid tenant on the Cubs channel. And who knows, maybe Cubs + Hawks is enough to get Comcast off from sniffing around the concept of trying to raise an otherwise one-sport (no offense Hounds) channel to a higher-tier.

Call it the Marquee Madhouse.
Stop with Marquee.

Can't get into details, but the Hawks will never play there (Cubs may not for many more years either...).

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Channel 685 for me on RCN/Astound. No problems watching games over here but I'm sorry it's been difficult for so many.

The sound quality is very weird sometimes and I don't like the scoreboard at all. Other than that I'm glad to be watching hockey and I love our new announcers. Glad to be rid of the abomination of broadcasters we've had the last handful of seasons.

As an aside I think I'm done with pre & post game talk shows for the rest of my life. Sports podcasts in general, not that I got into those much. HF Boards is just a way superior format and I don't really want or need to hear what Hawks mouthpieces Boyle and Caley Chelios have to say.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Bit the bullet today, dropped $30 @ Walmart for an "amplified antenna, for the cellar TV setup. Smooth so far.

Now, about that Comcast Regional Sports fee...

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad