Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
$5, $10, $15, $20, doesn't matter really. They won't get my money. Lol
analog-tv-antenna.jpg

:laugh:;)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Industry sources have indicated Comcast is unlikely to cave. Comcast didn’t budge with Bally Sports this summer. An agreement came only when Bally Sports accepted Comcast’s offer to be placed on its highest tier, which is called “Ultimate TV.” That deal included 15 regional sports networks. Comcast also put Root Sports Northwest, which broadcasts the Seattle Mariners, and Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), which broadcasts the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals, on that tier in recent years.

CHSN’s argument, in part, points to now-defunct NBC Sports Chicago’s placement on Comcast’s middle tier, called “Popular TV.” Marquee Sports Network, which broadcasts the Chicago Cubs, is also on the middle tier.

Translation: Comcast says either the Cubs viewers are more valuable than the Bulls, Sox, and Hawks combined OR CHSN not having the clout that Sinclair does pushed them to not care. Either way, CHSN should have known better watching Ballys and Root.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Industry sources have indicated Comcast is unlikely to cave. Comcast didn’t budge with Bally Sports this summer. An agreement came only when Bally Sports accepted Comcast’s offer to be placed on its highest tier, which is called “Ultimate TV.” That deal included 15 regional sports networks. Comcast also put Root Sports Northwest, which broadcasts the Seattle Mariners, and Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), which broadcasts the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals, on that tier in recent years.

CHSN’s argument, in part, points to now-defunct NBC Sports Chicago’s placement on Comcast’s middle tier, called “Popular TV.” Marquee Sports Network, which broadcasts the Chicago Cubs, is also on the middle tier.

Translation: Comcast says either the Cubs viewers are more valuable than the Bulls, Sox, and Hawks combined OR CHSN not having the clout that Sinclair does pushed them to not care. Either way, CHSN should have known better watching Ballys and Root.
The difference between CHSN and Bally, Marquee, NBCSCH, etc etc is that CHSN is over the air. So, they could force Xfinity to take it as a 'must-carry' at no fee.

They're trying to squeeze every dollar out of this broken system. Would've been the perfect opportunity to pivot to over-the-air with a DTC app available right away.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
When was the last carrier contract negotiated? Was it when the Hawks were still good and the Bulls and Sox were considered up-and-comers?

Because, if so, when you're trying to negotiate with a lottery team, a historically awful team, and a well-established mediocre team, it's a no duh that major carriers don't feel all too compelled by the idea that that ****'s must-watch TV. Oh, and we're after the point of the channel launching, so pretty obvious that the team camps are going to be getting increasingly desperate.

This is the digital equivalent of the Bears buying land in Arlington Heights before any concrete funding deal was signed, and then being shocked that nobody's biting on their request for public money because the team's given up all their negotiating power.

Reactions: Pez68

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The Wirtz family have the biggest heads I have ever seen in my life.

Danny took over a huge shitshow and his dad passed away during an already tough time. That can age you plenty.

Reactions: Drumman44

BuddyTheGoon

Oct 23, 2019
Chicago
Here's the thing. I have absolutely no reason at this point, to give them any of my money to watch. I already have a solution, since they weren't providing one. Disney+ bundle with ESPN+ and Hulu is pretty great value. I'll be paying for it regardless. So really I'm paying a few bucks a month for a VPN(that I use for other things and have anyway).

There's also zero chance that whatever app they launch is reliable and without problems. The Marquee app is a steaming pile of shit, from everything I hear. This one will be the same or worse.

P.S. It would be absolutely f***ing hilarious if they just repurposed the Stadium app, which, based on reviews, is also a piece of shit.
What location are you putting into your VPN? I’ve tried this approach to no avail ☹️

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad