Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Depends on who he gets it through. Dish has it for 70 but others charge 220 CAD. Bell does charge 220. It’s wild.
Over $200 is the going rate in Canada. I pay about the same with Telus.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
If I can watch other sports for free over the air, especially golf - then I'm not paying money to watch the local NHL team on a paid streaming service. They can go get on all fours.

dc5cb8bf-3c3e-49f1-9b0e-b23fa1659ee5

4b3b604a747fd9d787da167a12facc7a

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

31. Chicago Blackhawks

The Broadcast: NBC Sports Chicago carries Blackhawks games with Chris Vosters doing play-by-play and Darren Pang doing color.

Local ranking: 32

National ranking: 24

Last season: 32

The results: The 2023-24 season marked the splashy debut of former Blackhawks goalie Darren Pang as a color analyst in Chicago. Across the board, fans had rave reviews for his knowledge, professionalism and experience.

“Bringing in Darren Pang as the analyst was a home run hire,” wrote one respondent.

And yet, despite all the respect for Pang’s work, the Blackhawks broadcast only moved up one spot after finishing dead last in 2023. The bar is exceptionally high in Chicago because of their former legendary broadcasters, and the overwhelming brunt of criticism was directed at Vosters, who completed his second season as the primary play-by-play caller.

Many fans said that while Vosters is likable and improving, he struggles to find rhythm with the pace of play, doesn’t have great chemistry with Pang and his overall knowledge, background and feel for hockey isn’t up to par for an Original Six franchise’s broadcast.

“He is not a hockey guy, you can just hear it the way he calls a game,” summarized one Blackhawks fan.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Feel kinda bad for Vosters, he's just in over his head. Lacks experience, and doesn't have the hockey knowledge to make up for it. If he were "not a hockey guy" but was a long-time veteran play-by-play guy, he'd be fine but lack of either is a tough combo. To go from your first job out of college calling High-A Baseball to calling a major market NHL franchise in like seven years just doesn't make sense. Can probably be a decent broadcaster in some capacity eventually with some more experience, but not here.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I am really concerned that Comcast is going to either a) not carry this channel at all or b) put it on the most expensive tier.

I don't control the cable bill in my house. Idk what I'd do without the ability to watch the Sox and Hawks.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Wasn’t NBC Sports Chicago already owned by Reinsdorf, Wirtz, etc? They’re completely shutting it down and creating something new? I figured people would just move over
The teams all owned 25% with Comcast owning the remaining 25%, but Comcast operated it.

The new network has new management. Some will get hired to move, but many won't.

Reactions: Drumman44

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Three weeks until the 1st preseason game and we still don't have any firm details on this new network. Do these preseason games stick around on NBC Sports? Are they moving to CHSN? Which providers will carry that channel and what package do you need for them? Are there multiple channels associated with CHSN so we don't have to worry about the Hawks playing the same night as the Bulls/Sox?

Suffice to say, I do not like how they've handled the rollout of news for all this so far. It's been very poor.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I've been checking the website periodically to see if they've added anything beyond job postings, but there's nothing.

I wouldn't expect the 1st 3 preseason games to be covered - maybe we get a simulcast of the other team's feed, but no way does NBCSCH produce them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad