GDT: Have to say, I heard there's a pool party in Pittsburgh tonight at 7

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
fb0e5266-86eb-40ed-8dfb-a3d242552cdb_text.gif

If y'all could destroy them.... @Zirakzigil needs bringing down a peg or two :sarcasm: :laugh::laugh:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The rebrand doesn't hit like the OG.

Shoulda become the pimp slappin rappers.

That merch would fly off the shelf as people bake the entire stadium.
As a native Clevelander, there is meaning to the name so it's appropriate and makes a lot of sense. The Hope Memorial Bridge has these art deco statues on the ends that are the "guardians of traffic"

1729263508183.png
1729263508183.png

Reactions: Stickpucker

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As a native Clevelander, there is meaning to the name so it's appropriate and makes a lot of sense. The Hope Memorial Bridge has these art deco statues on the ends that are the "guardians of traffic"
the only thing I remember about Cleveland traffic, was when I interviewed for a job in Cleveland with GE back in the late 80s. The person from GE that was hosting me kept talking about Dead Man's Curve (or something like that). Not just in passing, he brought it up a half dozen times over the course of 8ish hours. He had some weird obsession with it.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
the only thing I remember about Cleveland traffic, was when I interviewed for a job in Cleveland with GE back in the late 80s. The person from GE that was hosting me kept talking about Dead Man's Curve (or something like that). Not just in passing, he brought it up a half dozen times over the course of 8ish hours. He had some weird obsession with it.
Did their name happen to be Jan or Dean?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
My dad had a towing business before we moved in 88. They called it that for a very valid reason.

Same! Let’s Go Yankees ;)
Sorry
1729266384344.png

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I don't watch baseball or football. Is this another "native american name was offensive" thing?
Sadly yes. I personally like the new name but the reasoning for the change was shit.

Last year a Native American group was looking into starting a law suit against the Guardians and Commanders for changing their names without consulting them.

I would be willing to bet the majority of the outrage over their former names came from white women named Karen.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Sadly yes. I personally like the new name but the reasoning for the change was shit.

Last year a Native American group was looking into starting a law suit against the Guardians and Commanders for changing their names without consulting them.

I would be willing to bet the majority of the outrage over their former names came from white women named Karen.
The most offended group for everyone else!

Honestly I think it was more the logo that garnered offense, not necessarily the name, but the pressure became to just entirely rebrand.

There's been similar pushes for Chicago Blackhawks, but generally the native population seems to support, there's just a vocal minority who want their 15 min of fame for being saviours!

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The most offended group for everyone else!

Honestly I think it was more the logo that garnered offense, not necessarily the name, but the pressure became to just entirely rebrand.

There's been similar pushes for Chicago Blackhawks, but generally the native population seems to support, there's just a vocal minority who want their 15 min of fame for being saviours!
I get the logo, I really do. I still like the Chief Wahoo image and I personally do not believe it was meant to offensive but I get it. However they removed the logo 5 years before they changed the name. Of course fans kept the Chief alive and kicking and they still do despite the name change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad