Have the Buffalo Sports media ever been worse?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clock

May 13, 2006
Well we can start with the Pegula stance that Darcy hasn't done anything wrong. I wont even go into the QUinn era, dont have to.

That's not arrogance. You're misusing the word.

There are people here that actually criticize the media more than the losing team the media covers. I think that feeds my frustration even more. I find it unbelievable that people get upset over negative things are said about the Sabres when they lose as much as they do.

I think you're having issues separating the performance of the media with the performance of the team.

The media should know what they're talking about, have their research done, and generally act in a professional manner where their work isn't constantly and obviously tainted with their own personal agendas.

The team should do everything they can to win games.

Linking the two by saying that the media's garbage performance is justified by the team's garbage performance or that criticism of the media is somehow unfair because you think the team is doing badly makes zero sense.

We're talking about how bad the media performs their job, and that SHOULD have nothing to do with the performance of the team.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
A good, competent journalist would hear "What has Darcy done wrong?" and been able to counter with specific moves/non-moves/decisions that set the franchise back, or were generally perceived as 'bad'. Maybe Pegula would have had a good answer, maybe he wouldn't. We won't know because our reporters don't do things like that. They simply take the comment and complain in a blog post or on Twitter about it.

To be fair, that Pegula comment was made on a Sabres-run media platform, not a press conference, so the journalists we are talking about had no opportunity to counter in the way you describe. The only way they could respond to it is in articles/blog posts/Twitter after the fact.

It is difficult to ask tough, informed questions of upper management when the team doesn't provide access to upper management, instead releasing information through press releases and interviews on Sabres-run media (website, Twitter, Hockey Hotline, etc.). Last year they even skipped the season-ending press conference.

I think the lack of access feeds into the whininess and grievances of the Buffalo sports media. That then feeds back on itself, as the Sabres don't want to grant interviews to adversarial journalists. It's a vicious cycle.

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
What I see is people upset with opinions of people paid to give opinions. You have one GM in Buffalo for going on 16 years. Not a lot of success.

I really dont know what you expect. How can someone be fair and unbiased when the person you are talking about has had such little success over such a long period. Is the media supposed to think he will change after 15 years?

I dont understand why some of the Sabres fanbase defends this organization. They are a bottom organization. Fans even defended them in 2007 when there should have been uproar and empty seats. Same goes for the Bills, even more so.

Just because you dislike one doesn't mean you are defending the other. The big problem is that the Buffalo (sports?) media is petty and unprofessional. The fact that the Sabres organisation is run in a mysterious manor and has had little success in Darcys tenure is a completely separate issue.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Just because you dislike one doesn't mean you are defending the other. The big problem is that the Buffalo (sports?) media is petty and unprofessional. The fact that the Sabres organisation is run in a mysterious manor and has had little success in Darcys tenure is a completely separate issue.

I will pull a Pegula, what has the Buffalo Media done wrong? Are there examples?

The complaints about the media are generally about being negative all the time. But even if they were unprofessional, who cares? Its not my problem. The Sabres being a bottom organization is my problem.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Out of town fan offering some perspective.

There's so much ax grinding in TBN I wear goggles while reading it; well when I still read it. It's a waste of time now. Tom Toles was the last good thing to come out of that rag.

The radio guys are a mixed bag. SatBD are light fare. It's hard to take their opinions seriously. Sometimes it feels like they are stretching to fill the air. A highlight: last year I was in Tampa while BD was discussing trading for Briere, I facepalmed so hard I nearly drove off the bridge. But they're fun too, and provide entertainment. Personally I like the match-game / draft skits.

Living in Boston I've had to put up with some atrocious sports radio. They have a mid day guy, former utility infielder. Popular guy around town; really should stick to Baseball. His commentary for the Bruins is cringe worthy. Boston hockey coverage in general is the pits though. They can do an entire segment on trade deadline day and never once mention 'salary cap'. It's a guiding principle of the sport and they don't understand let alone acknowledge it.

The Buffalo morning crew is tougher to parse. I like the snotty kid who rides shot gun to Simon and White. He's occasionally witty and seems to realize he's in a parody. I also get a huge kick out of the little voice overs they do: "DEALS!, ANALYTICS!" And the lead in for Extendo-Sports gets me every time. On balance the show seems produced for the benefit of south buffalo elderly/drunks who spent too much at Doc Sullivans the night before. (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Sylvester and Peters are better than I thought they'd be. Peters is really green but I have a feeling he'll be quite good in a few years.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
We're talking about how bad the media performs their job, and that SHOULD have nothing to do with the performance of the team.

Yes and yes. There's some clouded judgement due to Regier, Pegula or organizational hatred. And it can't be seen by Scarygood. Hence the posts.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
To be fair, that Pegula comment was made on a Sabres-run media platform, not a press conference, so the journalists we are talking about had no opportunity to counter in the way you describe. The only way they could respond to it is in articles/blog posts/Twitter after the fact.

It is difficult to ask tough, informed questions of upper management when the team doesn't provide access to upper management, instead releasing information through press releases and interviews on Sabres-run media (website, Twitter, Hockey Hotline, etc.). Last year they even skipped the season-ending press conference.

I think the lack of access feeds into the whininess and grievances of the Buffalo sports media. That then feeds back on itself, as the Sabres don't want to grant interviews to adversarial journalists. It's a vicious cycle.

It's also simple to counter from the media side of things. Watch.

"Recently, Terry Pegula made a curious comment on Sabres Hockey Hotline. While discussing criticisms of GM Darcy Regier, Pegula asked 'What has he done wrong?' Anyone who has followed the Sabres over his 16 year tenure could easily point to a questionable player transaction or two.

The Buffalo News has made numerous interview requests to Terry Pegula and the Sabres to discuss this comment, but so far all of our requests have been denied."

See how easy that is? All you have to do is point out that you're trying to ask questions, and the Sabres won't answer you. You look good, Sabres look bad.

By acting like crybabies, TBN looks bad, Sabres come out looking great.

Clock

May 13, 2006
The complaints about the media are generally about being negative all the time.

No, the complaints are not based around the media being negative, it's about them being uninformed and petty.

But even if they were unprofessional, who cares?

Anyone who wants decent media coverage of their favorite sports team.

Its not my problem. The Sabres being a bottom organization is my problem.

Then this obviously isn't your thread. :facepalm:

Johnnydrama21

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Some of the blogs are just as bad with the negativity. One of them practically went ******* that the Sabres facebook page would ask which free agents fans would like to see signed on the eve of free agency. Why did he go *******? Because he felt it would inspire the idiots to cry about not getting anyone. SMH

matthew94

Jul 2, 2005
WNY
www.matthew94.blogspot.com
There are different issues with each show/journalist

Howard Simon could probably be considered decent. I'd imagine his style appeals to a wider base of people. His weakness is his writing. He shouldn't write articles.

Jeremy White is annoying to me (though I recognize that's just an opinion). He's overly zealous in a long of seemingly wrong opinions.

Kevin Sylvester is super arrogant without cause. I frankly liked him better as an announcer than I do as a host (and I didn't like him as an announcer). I am also surprised by how little he has been able to help Andrew Peters adapt to radio (learn the ropes).

Speaking of Andrew Peters... he should not be on the radio. He doesn't think well on the spot. He isn't fluent in his first language. The entire show is more often awkward than anything else.

Brian Duff is excellent. In my opinion he should be the host of hockey hotline (with a different player co-host altogether). In fact, they should have Duff doing as much as he is willing to do.

Schopp and the Bulldog is not meant to be informative. It is an entertainment/opinion show. Some people don't get this (especially hard-core hockey fans that post frequently on hockey message boards). They hold that show to a standard they are not aspiring to. Then there are the people that GET that it is entertainment, but simply don't like it. That's a different issue altogether (just an opinion).

Coach Sal is above average.

Joe Buscalia is above average.

I sometimes get the feeling that some of them, on WGR, are on the right tract (using analytics to create interesting conversation), but that they don't really know HOW to use the statistics (it's rather random).

The John Murphy show is excellent. It intends to be informative and interview oriented and it does both well. Murph has a great on-air presence... calm, collected, prepared, etc.

Paul Hamilton is OK in my opinion. He, at least, really has some insight into some of the players and how they relate to each other and the coaches.

Jerry Sullivan is sometimes right, but in an annoying way and for the wrong reasons. I don't find him very insightful (mostly obvious complains). At least he can write alright.

Harrington, like Sullivan (in my opinion), just does his job without the proper etiquette. To me, if you're emotionally involved in the story to the degree that they appear to be... you shouldn't be on the job anymore.

The best place I have found to stay up to date, gain insight, etc. is this very message board.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
No, the complaints are not based around the media being negative, it's about them being uninformed and petty.

Anyone who wants decent media coverage of their favorite sports team.

Then this obviously isn't your thread. :facepalm:

I dont know if you are one of these people, but some people call the Buffalo news writers idiots because they dont reveal sources. Thats one of my favorite arguments. Like if a BN write says an NHL source says Regier is hard to deal with, those people will bash the article for not revealing a source.

If possible, could you link me an article you think is uninformed or petty? Just so maybe I can view it more closely. Like I said earlier, I use local media more for interviews rather than information. I get my info from national guys or other sources on the web.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The problem is that people keep discussing them. If you want *better* reporting then ignore them. Stop reading them and getting your panties in a wad. That gives them attention. Your attention keeps them in their jobs.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
There are different issues with each show/journalist

Howard Simon could probably be considered decent. I'd imagine his style appeals to a wider base of people. His weakness is his writing. He shouldn't write articles.

Jeremy White is annoying to me (though I recognize that's just an opinion). He's overly zealous in a long of seemingly wrong opinions.

Kevin Sylvester is super arrogant without cause. I frankly liked him better as an announcer than I do as a host (and I didn't like him as an announcer). I am also surprised by how little he has been able to help Andrew Peters adapt to radio (learn the ropes).

Speaking of Andrew Peters... he should not be on the radio. He doesn't think well on the spot. He isn't fluent in his first language. The entire show is more often awkward than anything else.

Brian Duff is excellent. In my opinion he should be the host of hockey hotline (with a different player co-host altogether). In fact, they should have Duff doing as much as he is willing to do.

Schopp and the Bulldog is not meant to be informative. It is an entertainment/opinion show. Some people don't get this (especially hard-core hockey fans that post frequently on hockey message boards). They hold that show to a standard they are not aspiring to. Then there are the people that GET that it is entertainment, but simply don't like it. That's a different issue altogether (just an opinion).

Coach Sal is above average.

Joe Buscalia is above average.

I sometimes get the feeling that some of them, on WGR, are on the right tract (using analytics to create interesting conversation), but that they don't really know HOW to use the statistics (it's rather random).

The John Murphy show is excellent. It intends to be informative and interview oriented and it does both well. Murph has a great on-air presence... calm, collected, prepared, etc.

Paul Hamilton is OK in my opinion. He, at least, really has some insight into some of the players and how they relate to each other and the coaches.

Jerry Sullivan is sometimes right, but in an annoying way and for the wrong reasons. I don't find him very insightful (mostly obvious complains). At least he can write alright.

Harrington, like Sullivan (in my opinion), just does his job without the proper etiquette. To me, if you're emotionally involved in the story to the degree that they appear to be... you shouldn't be on the job anymore.

The best place I have found to stay up to date, gain insight, etc. is this very message board.

The John Murphy show IMO is by far the best show on WGR. This is evidence that you don't have to create an "entertainment factor" to have successful ratings. He is strictly business and does an incredible job facilitating his 2 hour segment. He is highly informed about nearly all things Bills and interviews players and rookies incredibly. If only the 3-7 show could adapt the same premise instead of going off topic constantly and not being informed about anything really except BASEBALL. ZZzzzz.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Not many mentions of Sal Cappicola, personally he's one of my favorites... and its totally NOT because of school pride or anything, no way.

Also, I love the Murph show as many of you have said. And it seems that every time I tweet him I get on the air. Ever hear PoopSchoop and Chris read tweets or texts live? Me neither.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
13 years of no playoffs for the Bills, going on 16 years of the same stuff from Darcy, a year or 2 of success followed by 2-3 years of stupid decisions or bad hockey.

Sorry guys, but the sports teams are the issue, not the media. Could you imagine covering this crap for so long? You have to do something to make it interesting.

Lame excuse for professionals. If this excuse carried any weight, you'd see a bunch of White House reporters and Congressional correspondents doing the same thing that the TBN crew is doing. Reporters get paid to report, and also give opinions. But the public expects their opinion to be a synthesis based on informed analysis. Anecdotal evidence and axe grinding doesn't count, at least if you're a reporter that wants to get out of small-market Buffalo.

Unless a journalist is elite, or good looking and a cut below elite, they don't go anywhere and also don't make much money. That's why I never became a journalist despite graduating with a journalism degree over a decade ago. Among the reasons that folks remain journalists is their name is published. There's a sense of importance to their opinion.

And there's the rub. There's a gap between a journalist who thinks his or her opinion matters, and people that actually think that reporter's opinion matters. If a columnist can't think up a new angle on a changing team, and can only grind away with an old opinion, then they should probably go do something else. People are smarter than that. Those reporters get tuned out, just like folks tune out select TBN reporters. Except TBN crew thinks their opinions matter "because they have a journalism degree" and they're "in the locker room."

A journalism degree and being on the site doesn't replace reasoning, a sense of curiosity, and imagination. I can think of a lot of things that TBN reporters could be doing besides the opinion columns they are writing. If anyone at TBN thinks that Regier has gotten too comfortable in his job, they should go look in the mirror.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I dont know if you are one of these people, but some people call the Buffalo news writers idiots because they dont reveal sources. Thats one of my favorite arguments. Like if a BN write says an NHL source says Regier is hard to deal with, those people will bash the article for not revealing a source.

If possible, could you link me an article you think is uninformed or petty? Just so maybe I can view it more closely. Like I said earlier, I use local media more for interviews rather than information. I get my info from national guys or other sources on the web.

No, I don't think the TBN writers are idiots solely on the basis that they don't reveal sources, and I don't think the main argument against them is based on that either.

Links? Low-hanging fruit that was recent: Harrington's attempt to stir crap up between Miller and Kaleta from the season, the presser where Ted Black actually had to tell Harrington to act professional, any of the articles bemoaning Pegula not speaking directly to the media to provide them with soundbites.

I'd give you links but I genuinely don't want to even click on the articles and give them page hits.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The John Murphy show IMO is by far the best show on WGR. This is evidence that you don't have to create an "entertainment factor" to have successful ratings. He is strictly business and does an incredible job facilitating his 2 hour segment. He is highly informed about nearly all things Bills and interviews players and rookies incredibly. If only the 3-7 show could adapt the same premise instead of going off topic constantly and not being informed about anything really except BASEBALL. ZZzzzz.

Murphy is steeped in a more professional radio history. Back when 930 had their evening sports coverage, he and Simon both did evenings. GR's attempt to win over ratings was done via taking the low road and they haven't really evolved in the 15 years since. They put Dickerson and Art Wander on basically to be opinion generating machines. It worked. And sadly, it hasn't evolved.

Karate Johnson*

I will pull a Pegula, what has the Buffalo Media done wrong? Are there examples?

The complaints about the media are generally about being negative all the time. But even if they were unprofessional, who cares? Its not my problem. The Sabres being a bottom organization is my problem.

I'm a customer of the Sabres and of WGR and TBN.

They have a symbiotic effect on my enjoyment of Sabres hockey.

I can be pissed at all 3 for thier failures.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
13 years of no playoffs for the Bills, going on 16 years of the same stuff from Darcy, a year or 2 of success followed by 2-3 years of stupid decisions or bad hockey.

Sorry guys, but the sports teams are the issue, not the media. Could you imagine covering this crap for so long? You have to do something to make it interesting.

Total cop out. No one's complaining that the media is critical. The problem is that the media is clueless and obnoxious.

What I see is people upset with opinions of people paid to give opinions. You have one GM in Buffalo for going on 16 years. Not a lot of success.

I really dont know what you expect. How can someone be fair and unbiased when the person you are talking about has had such little success over such a long period. Is the media supposed to think he will change after 15 years?

I dont understand why some of the Sabres fanbase defends this organization. They are a bottom organization. Fans even defended them in 2007 when there should have been uproar and empty seats. Same goes for the Bills, even more so.

Who's defending the organization in this thread? What does the organization have to do with the Buffalo sports media sucking? Nothing.

First off, the sports media isn't all paid "to have opinions". The WGR clowns are, to a large extent. The Buffalo News guys aren't, to a large extent. But that's not the issue. The issue isn't "having opinions".

"How can someone be fair and unbiased when the person you are talking about has had such little success over such a long period." No offense, but this is one of the dumbest things I've read all week. Being fair and unbiased is almost a reporter's entire job, and it doesn't get any harder the worse the team he's covering is. There's nothing about the team sucking that makes it harder to do that or in the case of WGR guys, harder to actually know anything about what they're talking about.

It's ironic that you're accusing other people of defending the Sabres when no one's really doing that. The only one defending anything is you defending the laughably awful WGR radio guys and the bad eggs at the Buffalo News.

Last edited:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think it's just the TBN media that is worse...In general media as a whole has gotten worse....Anyone ever try reading anything on yahoo lately ?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Total cop out. No one's complaining that the media is critical. The problem is that the media is clueless and obnoxious.

Who's defending the organization in this thread? What does the organization have to do with the Buffalo sports media sucking? Nothing.

First off, the sports media isn't all paid "to have opinions". The WGR clowns are, to a large extent. The Buffalo News guys aren't, to a large extent. But that's not the issue. The issue isn't "having opinions".

"How can someone be fair and unbiased when the person you are talking about has had such little success over such a long period." No offense, but this is one of the dumbest things I've read all week. Being fair and unbiased is almost a reporter's entire job, and it doesn't get any harder the worse the team he's covering is. There's nothing about the team sucking that makes it harder to do that or in the case of WGR guys, harder to actually know anything about what they're talking about.

It's ironic that you're accusing other people of defending the Sabres when no one's really doing that. The only one defending anything is you defending the laughably awful WGR radio guys and the bad eggs at the Buffalo News.

Lets just put it this way, I dont see many reporters criticized for writing a positive article about the Sabres.

Lets also remember that there are so many forms of media now a days that we dont even need BN or WGR. I like stats, I like scouting reports, and I like interviews. I dont go to BN and WGR for stats and scouting reports. I will say this, I rarely think WGR does a good interview, but they get the interviews. Best recent interview I heard was with Ron Rolston, they started asking him about players and just let Rolston give reports on players. I love that stuff. It was the 1st time I started feeling ok with Rolston.

I think its pointless to even critique local media. Honestly, I read and learn more on this board then BN or WGR. I come here to read opinions.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Lets just put it this way, I dont see many reporters criticized for writing a positive article about the Sabres.

Lets also remember that there are so many forms of media now a days that we dont even need BN or WGR. I like stats, I like scouting reports, and I like interviews. I dont go to BN and WGR for stats and scouting reports. I will say this, I rarely think WGR does a good interview, but they get the interviews. Best recent interview I heard was with Ron Rolston, they started asking him about players and just let Rolston give reports on players. I love that stuff. It was the 1st time I started feeling ok with Rolston.

I think its pointless to even critique local media. Honestly, I read and learn more on this board then BN or WGR. I come here to read opinions.

I've criticized positive articles, like ones about Grigorenko in training camp last year. It's not about positive or negative, it's about a fundamental lack of hockey understanding and knowledge that lots of the Buffalo News guys have. There's really no excuse in a hockey market like this to not have more hockey minds covering the Sabres. In WGR's case it's more that they're dip"sticks", but that's more or less to be expected for sports radio. They could at least make an effort when it comes to preparing for an interview or a subject they're going to make a focal point.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
The Rochester D&C and Olean Times Herald are linked off of SabresSpace. Worth checking them out, don't know what the local opinion of those rags are but they seem decent enough. But as I say I tend to read hockeybuzz, sabresnoise, nhl.com and tsn.ca most. Not much that you can't get from there and breaking news always hits twitter first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad