Have Matthews & McDavid separated from Eichel & Laine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Have Auston Matthews (TOR) and Connor McDavid (EDM) separated themselves from Jack Eichel (BUF) and Patrick Laine (WPG)?

Matthews: 26 Pts in 24 GP (13G, 13A, +12)
McDavid: 32 Pts in 27 GP (11G, 21A, +2)
Eichel: 20 Pts in 27 GP (7G, 13A, -8)
Laine: 20 Pts in 26 GP (12G, 8A, +1)

From looking at the above, aren't McDavid and Matthews in another tier from Eichel and Laine? I hear them talked about as in one tier or Matthews is usually put with Eichel and Laine but I don't think this is the case anymore? One could argue that there's three tiers if you don't want to put McDavid and Matthews together but something also has to be said for the success that Matthews is bringing his team compared to McDavid (not totally his fault though).

My opinion:

Tier 1: McDavid/Matthews

Tier 2: Eichel/Laine

Thoughts?

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
McDavid is better than Matthews and since you want to use team success as an argument, I believe McDavid has actually won a playoff series.

Matthews is now well over 100 games into his career and still not over a PPG career pace.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Line I thought is where he would be this season. Little slow to start. Bug surprise is eichel. He's too good to be where he is. Still a young season though.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Why are you guys focusing on Matthews and McDavid. I'm talking about both of them being better than Laine & Eichel. I also conceded that people may see McDavid as superior... in my opinion they are equals but I understand others see it differently.... I just wanted this thread to focus more on McDavid/Matthews separation from Eichel/Laine

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think McDavid separated himself for sure, he always was on another level. Matthews does clearly seem better than Eichel or Laine though. Not quite McDavid but not quite Laine or Eichel either.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid has been on his own tier, but let's see where Laine is at the end of year in comparison to the other 2.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Eichel hasn’t separated himself from Barkov.

And probably never will.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
McDavid is better than Matthews and since you want to use team success as an argument, I believe McDavid has actually won a playoff series.

Matthews is now well over 100 games into his career and still not over a PPG career pace.

Its amazing how many times people need to make a straight forward argument:

Matthews rookie season was as impressive as McDavid's when you factor in his goal scoring and linemates

Matthews second season is even closer to McDavid's second year, again when you factor in his goal scoring and playing with a 3rd liner on just about every team except Babcock's

Maybe you want to value play making and points as the ultimate arbiter of who is better, but Matthews is better than McDavid at goal scoring, he racks up similar points while playing with worse/less experience line mates and he is better on the defensive end.

The conversation isn't Matthews>>>>>McDavid AINEC, it's that they hold similar value and in terms of their TOTAL game, they bring similar value to their team (McDavid=better playmaker, Matthews=better goal scorer and defensively).

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Eichel hasn’t separated himself from Barkov.

And probably never will.

That might be an interesting comparison simply cause they're so different players. I do think Eichel has more raw offensive potential but Barkov has managed to improve in the biggest separation between those two, skating. Barkov is superior all-around player and if he can somewhat keep up with Eichel's offensive numbers it's a no contest IMO.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017

Quick question: Do you evaluate players by looking at the back of their hockey cards?

Reactions: Apotheosis

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Why are you guys focusing on Matthews and McDavid. I'm talking about both of them being better than Laine & Eichel. I also conceded that people may see McDavid as superior... in my opinion they are equals but I understand others see it differently.... I just wanted this thread to focus more on McDavid/Matthews separation from Eichel/Laine
Because to most people McDavid has always been separated from Eichel and Laine but Matthews has not. Would make more sense if it was Matthews vs Laine/Eichel.

Reactions: VicVinegar

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews is very clearly in McDavid's tier and possibly better. And it's even more obvious that he's tiers above Eichel and Laine too, they never belonged in the discussion with Matthews to begin with. The best hockey experts on earth knew this all along, just the HFBoards keyboarders who refused to accept the facts.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
It's very early in their careers.

Lots of prospects don't even enter the league before 21-22. So "separation" seems like a silly thing to talk about right now.

But yes, McDavid and Matthews have shown they're a step better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad